News   Mar 28, 2024
 646     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 455     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 778     0 

1233 St Clair Ave W (Shoppers Drug Mart, 3s, MJM Architects)

Posted yesterday.....

IMG_1196.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,625
Last edited by a moderator:
The planner involved told me today that the neighbour filed the appeal. Last year there was a dispute between the site in question and the neighbour over the existing laneway that will be lost in the re-development. SDM apparently won in court the right to re-develop onto/ over the laneway after the neighbour would not sell after many good offers apparently to buy out the neighbour.

I hear that the OMB is so booked up with hearings this site might not get a hearing date for at least 8 months.

Such a disappointment. The buildings in question to be developed have been abandoned/ empty for a few years now.
so because neighbour would not sell(crazy on his part) the CoA went ahead and just gave approval for developer to build over it! That seems strange though. Who owns the laneway? I thought the city does so why would the resident be offered money to sell?

If you look on Google Earth you will notice that it's a small weird lane that really isn't good for anything related to car parking etc. Historical use perhaps meant that at one time deliveries were backed in.

In any case, SDM tried to buy up all the buildings part of that laneway but the neighbour would have no part of it (one of the green buildings). I believe somehow a design was created with permission/ outcome from the court hearing to use the laneway in the design.

The parking garage attached to the building is half empty everyday.

If you look on Google Earth you will notice that it's a small weird lane that really isn't good for anything related to car parking etc. Historical use perhaps meant that at one time deliveries were backed in.

In any case, SDM tried to buy up all the buildings part of that laneway but the neighbour would have no part of it (one of the green buildings). I believe somehow a design was created with permission/ outcome from the court hearing to use the laneway in the design.

The parking garage attached to the building is half empty everyday.

Actually, the laneway is city property. It used to (many years ago) run through from Via Italia to Dufferin. However, one of the building owners got a variance to allow an extension of the back of his building. Guess who? That's right, the pharmacist two doors East ... the same guy who filed this appeal. The neighbourhood is livid with this guy, and rightly so. SDM wanted to buy ... made him offers, he greedily refused. Hw then cooerced the owner of the green building to fight SDM, and lost. They bought his dispensary, gave him a job and then fired him when he broke company policies. Now he has an axe to grind. Welcome to the backbiting world of St. Clair West land ownership.

Very interesting. @TheRoosh . What do you think will happen next and do you think SDM will prevail in the end?
I suspect that pressure from the community and BIA members may convince Phil the Pharmacist to withdraw his appeal, although he has been known to be stubborn and shrewd. Maybe he thinks he can leverage SDM for a cash payout to withdraw his appeal. That would not surprise me in the least given his reputation around here. The laneway would have been of benefit to SDM for deliveries, but c'est la vie. Hopefully SDM can expedite this meritless appeal and break ground sooner rather than later. Raccoons are nesting in the building for crying out loud.

I have attached a motion that was approved at city council this week.

Attachments

• Member Motion Councillor Palacio - City Legal and Planning to attend OMB Hearing.pdf
    192.8 KB · Views: 653
E-Status Case Details

PROPERTY ADDRESS

1233-1239 St Clair Ave W2322235 Ontario Inc., 3-storey bldg
Open PL160462

Hearing and DecisionInformation
HEARING TYPE
START DATE
HEARING
STATUS
START TIME
HEARING LOCATION
DECISION TYPE
DECISION NUMBER

Hearing 08 Sep 201610:00 AM
Ontario Municipal Board (Toronto) 16th Fl, , 655 BayStreet, 16th Floor Toronto ON
Individuals should appear at the start time of the proceedings.

To view the full text of the Decision, please click on the Decision number.
OMB Contact:Sandra Chan, Planner, (416) 326-6776

Rumour is the buildings in question have been sold off to a buyer who wants to go up 7 stories. This development as per rumours this morning could be dead.

They are working on final approvals.

Yes, SDM is still anchoring here. My understanding is they own the property. The architect is MJMA is the architect.

There are rumours this morning that SDM is thinking about selling the site with approvals in place now that the OMB supported the development application. What do you folks think a possible alternative could be? I assume only a large chain would buy the site and/ or would have the means to lock into a long term lease.

As a resident of the area I find this possibility of SDM bailing and selling the site off disappointing and generally heartbreaking to be honest. I have attached the OMB decision.

(Mod note: download warning!)

Attachments

• OMB Decision - 1233-1239 St Clair Ave W (PL160462 - Nov 25 2016).pdf
    258.9 KB · Views: 929
Last edited by a moderator:

Back