618     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.2K     2 

1153 Queen St. W (Quadreal, ?s, ?)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The Lobbyist Registry reveals this site to be in play.

The location is the south side of Queen, on the west side of Abell. Includes 1149 to the east here.

1722445635414.png

Aerial pic:

1722449523686.png

Site Size is ~27500ft2

This could, in theory support a tall building, however, the building to the south (tall) is in close proximity (9m) which leaves separation distance issues that are problematic on the east side of the site.

I think one tall building is still feasible at the west end of the site.

The precedent to the immediate west is 19s and the precedent to the south is 20s.

*finally*.

This has been one of the sorest thumbs of a strip plaza left in the city. I'm really surprised it's taken this long to get gone.

The surface parking configuration is terrible and requires cars to drive along the sidewalk to access parking spaces and is just generally awkward as hell.

*finally*.

This has been one of the sorest thumbs of a strip plaza left in the city. I'm really surprised it's taken this long to get gone.

The surface parking configuration is terrible and requires cars to drive along the sidewalk to access parking spaces and is just generally awkward as hell.
Not for lack of trying. Every broker in the City has been trying to push this one since 2017, but the ask has always just been too much for anyone to take it seriously.

Not for lack of trying. Every broker in the City has been trying to push this one since 2017, but the ask has always just been too much for anyone to take it seriously.
Yup. For the $ ask (QuadReal picked it up for $24m), midrise didn't make sense here. Needed a tower of about 20ish stories to make the math work as NL notes, which is probably why there were so few bites since 2017. Most likely post office + 1266 Queen providing some form of precedent for tower on sites that front Queen, and site is in MTSA I believe.

Interesting! I wouldn’t be surprised if the proponent throws out 40s to see what happens in this new age of zoning reform.

Next up will be the grocery store behind the Gladstone! 😝

Yup. For the $ ask (QuadReal picked it up for $24m), midrise didn't make sense here. Needed a tower of about 20ish stories to make the math work as NL notes, which is probably why there were so few bites since 2017. Most likely post office + 1266 Queen providing some form of precedent for tower on sites that front Queen, and site is in MTSA I believe.

Always insightful posts!

And yes, its in the King-Liberty MTSA.

1722533275774.png

Nice little interactive tool to look at those:

Good to see this finally get intensified and bookend this block to go along with 1181 Queen St W and the enigmatic and often maligned Bohemian Embassy.

Last edited:

Back