News   Mar 28, 2024
 525     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 409     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 748     0 

11 Brock Avenue

Are you sure?

I looked up the zoning, because in my head the LCBO use would not typically fit in 'neighbourhoods'.

View attachment 379407

It's in Grey, not in Yellow.

I haven't had the time dig up the archived zoning from the old City, to see how the old by-law treated it.

But I did have a quick glance around the area; and just down Noble Street, in the same grey zoning colour is this beauty: Roughly 6s tall (5.5?)

So there does seem to be area precedent for a bit over 4.

View attachment 379406

There's also the new development at 57 Brock just a block to the north of this site at 7 storeys.

Not sure of the bricks and debris were from the previous demolition but this site is now used for people dumping old Christmas trees

20230406_165657.jpg
20230406_165705.jpg
20230406_165721.jpg
20230406_165742.jpg

The building will include 40 new homes consisting of private studio apartments with a kitchenette and bathroom, as well as amenity spaces for tenants. These homes will be dedicated to people who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and will be offered as Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) homes with no tenant paying more than 30 per cent of their income or the shelter allowance of their income support benefit on rent.

The new homes will be operated as supportive housing by an experienced not-for-profit housing provider. Residents of supportive housing have access to a range of support services intended to improve their health and well-being. The City will issue a Request for Proposals for a building operator for this site by the end of 2023.

This is a great project and I support it but I'm curious if there is a rationale for only going 4 storeys here beyond a fear of heights. Is there something about the services required for supportive housing of this kind where it's preferential to only be a certain size or to limit the total number of units in one facility? Why not 8 storeys or 12 on this site?

Back