Toronto 1071 King West | 62.2m | 17s | Hullmark | BDP Quadrangle

This is now a Hullmark and First Capital project with Quadrangle as the architect. 15 storeys, 230 units.

View attachment 219438View attachment 219439View attachment 219440View attachment 219441

This is the previous, 17-storey version of the proposal. Hopefully the materials are similar:

View attachment 219442View attachment 219443

Ok, that checks a lot of boxes.

Handsome, out-of-the-ordinary, good and extensive use of brick; warm tones, original thinking in the manner (however imperfect to date) in accommodating the Rail Path and much needed-rental.

Perfect? No; but a damned fine effort!!

I like this a lot. Feels like a modern, west-end complement to the Gooderham building. The space reserved for the railpath extension just highlights the need for a multi-use path extending east from here on the south side of Douro.

Hullmark and First capital are both reputable developers and i trust them, wont disappoint us. the design is amazing too.

Lord knows we need some antique Style looking buildings in this city! Love the detailed brickwork as seen in the photos up above !

This is actually one of the few developments I like in the area. It's mostly cheap spandrel condos and shoddy townhomes nearby.

The Plant on Sudbury street is really quite nice as well! There are diamonds in those mountains of gravel for sure.

This is a seriously promising proposal. If anything in that it will take away from the eyesore next door.

I wonder if there are any integration plans with the under construction bridge overpass nearby?

I wonder if there are any integration plans with the under construction bridge overpass nearby?
This was discussed in one of the planning documents -- apparently they looked at adding an accessible ramp connection to the railpath, but the grade was too steep, so the connection will go out onto Douro at sidewalk level.

I get that it’s a complicated site and that the city probably requires a setback / it would make the layouts weird but that unresolved top curve will forever haunt me if built as such. I really love the full brick facade though. It’s nice to see punched windows becoming a thing again.

Looking forward to the day when this project will block those Liberty Village buildings from view along King West.

20200215_142343.jpg
20200215_142304.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 2.46.56 PM.png

• The proposed height of the building has been reduced from 15-storeys to 14-storeys, which revised height better reflects the as built character in the immediate vicinity of the Site;
  • The built form of the building along King Street West has been revised from a continuous 3 m setback to the north at the 10th floor to “graduated” setbacks to the north of 0 m at the west side of the building, 1.5 m located centrally and 3.0 m at the east side of the building. The revised setbacks allow for the unique curve of the building’s flatiron design to be featured more prominently from the 2nd to 14th floors when viewing the building from the west, while still allowing the appropriate 3 m setbacks to be maintained at the west side of the building along King Street West and Douro Street;
  • In order to enhance pedestrian safety at the eastern vehicular entrance point along Douro Street, the at grade layout of the building has been revised to incorporate a reduced 4.5 m curb cut at the King Street West and Sudbury Street intersection, which facilitates the sole outbound movement of loading and garbage trucks and will be equipped with an overhead door to allow for a consistent at-grade frontage along King Street West;
  • The total number of units has been reduced from 261 units to 230 units, while still maintaining the requested mix of units of 20% two bedrooms and 10% three bedrooms;
  • The total indoor amenity has been reduced from 555 m2 to 478 m2 to correspond with the reduction in residential units, which proposed indoor amenity supply maintains the required amenity rates;
  • The parking supply has been reduced from 66 spaces to 63 spaces in total, to correspond with the reduction of residential units, which proposed parking supply maintains the requested residential parking rate of 0.19 spaces per uni
  • The bicycle parking supply has been reduced from 236 spaces to 226 spaces in total, to correspond with the reduction of residential units while still maintaining the required bicycle parking supply rates;
  • The proposed 230m2 park has been maintained in the design
  • The West Toronto Railpath connection within the building has been updated to ensure that a 5% grade is maintained across the majority of the path; a
  • The total Gross Floor Area (“GFA”) has been reduced from 18,885 m2 to 18,439 m2 , resulting in a decrease in the proposed density from 8.20 to 8.00 times the area of the lot.

Back