300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 669     0 

1056 Queen St W (?, 1s, JA Studio)

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New single storey retail building coming to Queen Street West. Good to see this parking lot finally filled in but the idea of only a single storey is a bit perplexing...

Capture.JPG

Cs0bLcYXEAQoWmp.jpg

http://www.cbre.ca/AssetLibrary/ArlinMarkowitz-1056QueenWestFlyer.pdf

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 2,286
  • Cs0bLcYXEAQoWmp.jpg
    Cs0bLcYXEAQoWmp.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 2,347
It's one storey posing as two on a street of two storey buildings. It's appropriate although so to would be 4 or 5 storeys here. Yeah, I too like these generic, glassy, red brick/black trim warehouse types.

Damn, I like that Sweet Olenka's location currently there. Otherwise, I'm fine with this new building proposal. Agreed that a couple more floors would be better land usage but this still looks good.

Today. Lot is closed off, Sweet Olenkas is out, and crews are doing something.

IMG_0300.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,437
There should be a minimum density requirement here for more than just one storey. The renderings show an attractive pedestrian-oriented building that should compliment the streetscape well. But land is scarce in Toronto and needs to be well utilized with more density than just one storey on a major street. Otherwise, it's harder for people to afford real estate and commercial space in the city due to supply not meeting demand. It also means an unbalanced development pattern of clusters of high-rise buildings between large swaths of low-rise buildings. We need more of the "missing middle".

Last edited:
There should be a minimum density requirement here for more than just one storey. The renderings show an attractive pedestrian-oriented building that should compliment the streetscape well. But land is scarce in Toronto and needs to be well utilized with more density than just one storey on a major street. Otherwise, it's harder for people to afford real estate and commercial space in the city due to supply not meeting demand. It also means an unbalanced development pattern of clusters of high-rise buildings between large swaths of low-rise buildings. We need more of the "missing middle".

Agreed but we also need these types of buildings really badly especially since most new developments are terrible at ground level (tacky condo lobby + anonymous retail space) and push out fine-grained retail on Toronto's main streets — the thing that makes so many of Toronto's streets such nice environments. Definitely it would be preferable to have *both* but given I'm not going to be against this kind of building either.

They obviously changed their mind on building that 1 storey structure so who knows down the line what new proposal it'll be?
, for now they have leased it to someone that is probably investing hundreds of thousands of dollars on a restaurant/bakery that demanded a minimum 10 year lease,

If they're indeed just renovating the existing building, I'm very interested to see what they do with the surface lot space -- it'd be a humongous patio as it is, and seems like a lot of site space to give up in winter.

Back