News   Apr 19, 2024
 42     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 727     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.9K     2 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
They'll vary in size like the Paramount, er Scotiabank Theatre type theatres but with saner sized screens. A benefit to having so many screens in one location is it affords AMC to play standard Hollywood fare as well as a dabbling of independent & foreign film in it's smaller cinemas. My memory of AMC is they have somewhat more relaxed and low-key lobby & cinema areas as opposed to some of those other high octane cinema complexes.

That place is an unstoppable juggernaut of Thai cuisine.

Sure it's a juggernaut, but I personally think it's way overrated in terms of food quality and atmosphere. The food is really no different from other Asian restaurants I've been to (I actually think it's a bit bland for my tastes... has nothing to do with spiciness), and it's a bit too crowded, loud and uncomfortable . Similar story with Spring Rolls at Atrium.

I don't mind a small theatre as long as it has a large screen, and decent sound. I do remember the old "cineplex" in the lower levels of the Eaton Centre, and a few others (Sherway Gardens, etc.) They are all gone now, and deservedly so. What a shabby experience, going to the movies in those shoeboxes!

The Metropolis looks ugly as sin from the outside, but I'll admit it may have some redeeming features inside.

Market Square Cinemas is still alive and kicking, it opened about 1983-1984.
Eaton Centre Cineplex was the first Cineplex theatre originally with 18 small cinemas that opened in 1979. For many years it was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records with the largest screen count in the world. Originally programmed as venue for second-run films and foreign fare with 16MM projection, it was unique for it's time.

I will have no problem going to Rainbow over AMC any day. Their theatres are horrible at best. Stadium seating blows there because the first 10 or so rows are barely banked, pushing everyone else back further. Their sound levels are always far too low and concession quality couldn't be any worse. Combine those factors with the high ticket prices and Rainbow will put it to shame... or I guess I could just go to Scotia :D

When I was at the Scotiabank Cinema in July, the place seemed dirty and the staff confused. Has this been anyone else's experience?

i'll probably still go to scotia since i get points for every movie i watch, which then i can redeem later.

the only way ill go to AMC is if the prices are a few bucks cheaper. like maybe during the afternoons or on certain days even.

When I was at the Scotiabank Cinema in July, the place seemed dirty and the staff confused. Was this been anyone else's experience.
I've always found the seats to be kind of damp and squishy in those theatres. They either aren't taking very good care of them, or the seats are badly designed because they're totally absorbing the sweat of the previous audience. Also, if you enter the theatres at the end of the day (after several showings of a movie like The Bourne Ultimatum), it smells like a gym.

I've always preferred AMC's clean, cold theatres to Famous Players', and Rainbow, while a bit ghetto, is a great bargain.

I went to Scotiabank Theatre, which still has no ring to it, and did find it a bit chaotic, and a bit dingy. Darn Cineplex! I can't wait to go to AMC.

Where was the cinema at Sherway Gardens?

Most malls had cinemas in them at one time or another. I remember there were ones in Square One (not the new Cineplex/Empire ones), Shoppers World Brampton (later a Jumbo Video of all things before being demolished for Canadian Tire and Zellers expansion), Bramalea City Centre.

Getting back on topic, that's the one thing I'm looking forward to with AMC at Metropolis - real theatres downtown that either aren't rebranded to coincide with some stupid bank loyalty program or aren't the Carlton with its memories of Ryerson classes and lousy screens. Though I am a fan of Rainbow at Market Square as well.

The tenant mix for Metropolis is actually not bad at all, though the upper food court looks like a bit out of the way three floors up and not a lot of "big brands", I wonder how it will do. SDM, Adidas and AMC should do well though.

Indeed, this complex will without doubt re-invigorate the area which is exactly the shot in the arm that it needs. Great things will happen around Yonge and Dundas in the next few years as a result of Toronto Life Centre.

Back