News   Mar 28, 2024
 49     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 539     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 349     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Does anyone know how this will affect the Ryerson students that use these theatres as lecture halls in the morning? I know Ryerson had an agreement with AMC, will this carry over? I don't want to lose those comfortable class rooms...

It will probably carry over, but I wish it wouldn't.

Ryerson's deal with AMC took away my opportunities of seeing cheap films on Friday mornings; something that is done at ALL AMC locations.
A movie theatre isn't a proper environment for university lectures anyway; Ryerson needs to get its act together.

It will probably carry over, but I wish it wouldn't.

Ryerson's deal with AMC took away my opportunities of seeing cheap films on Friday mornings; something that is done at ALL AMC locations.
A movie theatre isn't a proper environment for university lectures anyway; Ryerson needs to get its act together.

Says yourself. I personally preferred using AMC over lecture halls. The big screen, comfortable seating, and dim lighting made it much easier to sit in class for a few hours. The theatres made perfect lecture halls.

Agreed. I had some classes in theatres at the Carlton Cinemas and it was great. Much better than an average flat classroom.

If you want cheap films, go to Rainbow Market Square, which is a pleasant walk from here.

Says yourself. I personally preferred using AMC over lecture halls. The big screen, comfortable seating, and dim lighting made it much easier to sit in class for a few hours. The theatres made perfect lecture halls.

Says me indeed. I have no doubt that an actual theatre room is more comfortable than a typical lecture hall. Heck, for ultimate comfort, I should be able to have class in bed.

My point is, it's not very professional. think of the larger cinema retail space; think of the 10 dundas east building as a whole; not just the lecture room. Ryerson wants so desperately to be seen as a world-class university; they're not going to achieve that holding their classes in a cineplex.

When I think of an academic building, I think of study spaces. I think of desks. I think of professor's offices being steps away. I think of a small-class tutorial after my lecture. I think of groundbreaking research being done on the floor above or below me.

I don't think of movie memorabilia, a popcorn and soda combo, and a retail maze to maneuver through to get to class.

Agreed. I had some classes in theatres at the Carlton Cinemas and it was great. Much better than an average flat classroom.

If you want cheap films, go to Rainbow Market Square, which is a pleasant walk from here.

Again, I'm sure the theatre rooms are quite comfortable for lectures. But why should I have to go elsewhere when AMC was built for the purpose of showing movies (and is much better than Rainbow Cinemas).

Again, I'm sure the theatre rooms are quite comfortable for lectures. But why should I have to go elsewhere when AMC was built for the purpose of showing movies (and is much better than Rainbow Cinemas).

I would agree with you, if in fact the AMC had been built for the sole purpose of showing movies. Fact is, it wasn't. It was always intended to be lecture halls during the day. That was part of the agreement they entered into with Ryerson for the right to build over the Ryerson parking garage. Without that agreement, there would be no AMC. So take it or leave it.

"When I think of an academic building, I think of study spaces. I think of desks. I think of professor's offices being steps away. I think of a small-class tutorial after my lecture. I think of groundbreaking research being done on the floor above or below me."

There are desks, professors offices are never steps away, at least in most buildings at Ryerson, small class tutorials after lectures still happen, and the Digital Media Zone is in the same building as the AMC. If you don't know what its all about, I suggest you look into it. Plenty of research and innovation is taking place right there.

I suppose you are also upset that Ryerson is using Maple Leaf Gardens as its athletic centre, because when you go shopping at Loblaws, you go because they have plenty of parking, and Ryerson shouldn't be using up all of that valuable space for an athletic centre... it should be parking! Right?

The truth is that Ryerson isn't like any other university out there. It isn't a traditional campus, never was, and never will be. Its role in the city is not like every other university out there. It is very much a part of the city, instead of existing within the city. The deal with AMC is a perfect example of this. If you think this will affect Ryerson's reputation, that is your opinion, but Ryerson has been doing just fine without your two cents.

Last edited:
I'd rather have class in one of the AMC cinemas than many of the crappy lecture halls I've had to use at UofT in my time there, any day!

When I think of an academic building, I think of study spaces. I think of desks. I think of professor's offices being steps away. I think of a small-class tutorial after my lecture. I think of groundbreaking research being done on the floor above or below me.

Sounds like what my school was like in 1912.

When I was at McMaster in 2005, my Professors offices were sometimes in buildings more than 1 km away. My small-class tutorials were in buildings a 10 minute walk from the building the lecture was in. I once had a class in the same building where ground-breaking research was being done. It was an accounting course but there was no room in the business building for it, so it was in the physics building.

May I ask what you are studying? When you are dealing with majors like Engineering, Business or Sciences, where some mandatory courses have more than 1000 students enrolled to take the same class in the same semester, it precludes the possibility of everything being so neat and tidy as there just isn't the space to make it happen like that. Maybe it can work for some of the Humanities?

EDIT: Oh and desks? They were a luxury. Usually I just got a seat with a folding board.

Last edited:
I would agree with you, if in fact the AMC had been built for the sole purpose of showing movies. Fact is, it wasn't. It was always intended to be lecture halls during the day. That was part of the agreement they entered into with Ryerson for the right to build over the Ryerson parking garage. Without that agreement, there would be no AMC. So take it or leave it.
Sole purpose of showing movies, no, but primarily, yes. They were always intended to be theatres, but used as lecture halls during the day. There are no permanent design features in the AMC space that would be standard solely to a lecture hall. There are the temporary “attachable desks”, sure, but those aren’t even very good. There aren’t even any water fountains, are there?
All things considered, it doesn’t seem that Ryerson lectures were intended to be housed there permanently.

There are desks, professors offices are never steps away, at least in most buildings at Ryerson, small class tutorials after lectures still happen, and the Digital Media Zone is in the same building as the AMC. If you don't know what its all about, I suggest you look into it. Plenty of research and innovation is taking place right there.
-desks not great. Where can I plug in my laptop.
-are there small tutorial rooms hidden somewhere at the amc? Otherwise those would take maybe 15 mins to get to elsewhere on campus
-the digital media zone is only there because there was no commercial interest in the space. They were having trouble leasing it. It was not an original tenant of 10 dundas.

I suppose you are also upset that Ryerson is using Maple Leaf Gardens as its athletic centre, because when you go shopping at Loblaws, you go because they have plenty of parking, and Ryerson shouldn't be using up all of that valuable space for an athletic centre... it should be parking! Right?
What… does this even have to do with anything.

It’s good that they’re transforming the space into the athletic centre.
… Ample parking isn’t needed downtown when there are many public transit options available in the core.

Seriously, what a random tangent

The truth is that Ryerson isn't like any other university out there. It isn't a traditional campus, never was, and never will be. Its role in the city is not like every other university out there. It is very much a part of the city, instead of existing within the city. The deal with AMC is a perfect example of this. If you think this will affect Ryerson's reputation, that is your opinion, but Ryerson has been doing just fine without your two cents.
Exactly.

Again, I sense some sort of air of pomposity as I’ve seen in some of your other posts- “your two cents”. Are your own two cents worth any more than mine?

Sole purpose of showing movies, no, but primarily, yes. They were always intended to be theatres, but used as lecture halls during the day. There are no permanent design features in the AMC space that would be standard solely to a lecture hall. There are the temporary “attachable desksâ€, sure, but those aren’t even very good. There aren’t even any water fountains, are there?
All things considered, it doesn’t seem that Ryerson lectures were intended to be housed there permanently.

The desks were no worse than any desk I used in any other lecture hall. They were exactly the same, minus the fact that they sat in a cup holder instead of being folded to the side. There actually are water fountains, but why does that even matter? My school's building (Urban Planning) had none.

-desks not great. Where can I plug in my laptop.
-are there small tutorial rooms hidden somewhere at the amc? Otherwise those would take maybe 15 mins to get to elsewhere on campus
-the digital media zone is only there because there was no commercial interest in the space. They were having trouble leasing it. It was not an original tenant of 10 dundas.

Newsflash... a tutorial is always going to be a good walk away from where the class is held, no matter what school you go to. I challenge you to find a school that has all of their lecture, tutorial and research spaces in a single building for all classes. Ryerson is a pretty compact campus, and most of my tutorials were held in Kerr Hall, which would be a 5 minute walk from the AMC theatre, not 15. Who cares why the DMZ is where it is... that wasn't your point. Your point was research and learning should occur in the same space, and the DMZ proves that it does in 10 Dundas, regardless of why it is where it is.

It’s good that they’re transforming the space into the athletic centre.
… Ample parking isn’t needed downtown when there are many public transit options available in the core.

Seriously, what a random tangent

Random tangent? It is no different than what you are trying to argue about AMC. A full out 24 screen theatre is not needed downtown, especially when there are other theatres within walking distance to this one. Ryerson doesn't even use all 24 theatres, so the choice to not show movies on Friday's is because of the lack of demand for that, not because of Ryerson. AMC is free to show movies in the remaining theatres.

Again, I sense some sort of air of pomposity as I’ve seen in some of your other posts- “your two centsâ€. Are your own two cents worth any more than mine?

Im not the one claiming Ryerson is lacking credibility because it is being creative in finding spaces for students while adding to the fabric of downtown.

Why would you assume that? The number of commercials and features that usually run before a flick at a Cineplex theatre is ridiculous. Plus there are (or were) those idiotic smartphone app "games", although maybe those have been cancelled - I haven't seen them the last couple of visits.

They still exist at the Scotiabank. The founder of Timeplay and also the founder of Playdium is a friend of Cineplex's boss. So I won't be surprise if Cineplex is still doing business with them.

Considering Scotiabank's relationship with Cineplex and their propensity to brand entertainment facilities (Scotiabank Centre Ottawa and the Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls) I wouldn't be surprised to see this property rebranded with the Scotiabank name.

The theatre will rebranded as a Cineplex Odeon in the press release.

I very much doubt scotiabank theater will close ... if anything the other way around.

Closing the Scotiabank would cost Cineplex money e.g. the lease.

Last edited:
I received a notice from Cineplex that the AMC is now one of their theatres. Did they rebrand yet? I haven't had a chance to pass by. At the very least, the AMC sign must have come down no?

Cineplex took over two weeks today and the AMC signs outside were still up last weekend which really surprised me. They are still using "ETX" (AMC's premium branded auditoriums) as opposed to Cineplex's "AVX", staff are in Cineplex attire and they are still honoring the former AMC admission price structure but accepting Cineplex's Scene cards. It's all very strange with it currently being a bizarre Cineplex/AMC hybrid operation right now. I'm going to see the restored digital version of Jaws there next week, I want to get there early and get a better look around to see what Cineplex has done with the place lately.

Back