News   Mar 28, 2024
 204     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I don't know if I'd want Triple 5 involved. West Edmonton Mall is a haphazard mess under their watch, completely disoriented and looking increasingly dated. The company seems to want to spend very little in their signature property, and what they do spend is to make it look extremely tacky.

And lets not forget this is the same Triple 5 that essentially defrauded Edmonton City Council into giving huge incentives and concessions to build Edmonton Eaton Centre, which is probably the biggest downtown mall failure in Canada.

I hate the idea of roller-coasters mounted on the side and even more gimicky crap, instead, I say develop what is there into a premiere entertainment and retail centre. They keep trying to brand this place as a mini Times square, but in reality what they should be trying to do is something along the lines of the Ginza in Tokyo - but naturally, in our own way.

This place could be something never seen before, but instead it is a complete and utter letdown, which is neither mini Times Sq., nor anything else.

p5

@ p5connex

You'll be happy to know then about the way Yonge Street will have all its storefronts designed to be dynamic and lit up and all the rooflines will be about the same height to create that sleek Ginza aesthetic.

Maybe you already knew about that plan but thought you'd be intrigued.

Awesome information. Redevelopment eh?

Any potential buyer would want to redevelop the place. I mean, if PenEX Media went broke, something isn't right. While the tenants are doing well, management was clearly not making enough of a cut to keep the building viable.

Keep what's good (AMC, restaurants, street level shops opened to Yonge), fix up the rest of the mess (escalator arrangement from level 1 to 2, poor use of the lobby space, perhaps relocate the entrance to the corner of Yonge + Dundas, the appalling exterior appearance, FutureShop's use of their prime Dundas Sq. facing room as a staff lounge, interior finishings, etc), and perhaps add value to the building by attracting another anchor tenant for 2 floors that can be built atop the AMC (i.e. bowling alley, games entertainment).

Any potential buyer would want to redevelop the place. I mean, if PenEX Media went broke, something isn't right. While the tenants are doing well, management was clearly not making enough of a cut to keep the building viable.

Keep what's good (AMC, restaurants, street level shops opened to Yonge), fix up the rest of the mess (escalator arrangement from level 1 to 2, poor use of the lobby space, perhaps relocate the entrance to the corner of Yonge + Dundas, the appalling exterior appearance, FutureShop's use of their prime Dundas Sq. facing room as a staff lounge, interior finishings, etc), and perhaps add value to the building by attracting another anchor tenant for 2 floors that can be built atop the AMC (i.e. bowling alley, games entertainment).

I love the idea of a Dave & Busters. It sucks having to go out to Vaughan to visit one.

@ p5connex

You'll be happy to know then about the way Yonge Street will have all its storefronts designed to be dynamic and lit up and all the rooflines will be about the same height to create that sleek Ginza aesthetic.

Maybe you already knew about that plan but thought you'd be intrigued.

No, I didn't, so thanks for mentioning it. Where did you come across this information and is there somewhere to see it?

p5

I love the idea of a Dave & Busters. It sucks having to go out to Vaughan to visit one.

I've not tried their food yet, but I can assure you they'd be right at home in the current TLS building. Crap architecture is no put off for them. They built a new location on Clifton Hill in the Falls from the ground up and it is the most hideous eyesore in the area, imo, and thats really saying something. The building is a stucco box with two dimensional detailing airbrushed onto its surface. It makes me want to cry.

anyways, back on topic...

I don't know if I'd want Triple 5 involved. West Edmonton Mall is a haphazard mess under their watch, completely disoriented and looking increasingly dated. The company seems to want to spend very little in their signature property, and what they do spend is to make it look extremely tacky.

And lets not forget this is the same Triple 5 that essentially defrauded Edmonton City Council into giving huge incentives and concessions to build Edmonton Eaton Centre, which is probably the biggest downtown mall failure in Canada.

I saw the West Edmonton Mall for the first time two years ago. It was the biggest disappointment I've experienced since new Coke. Dated doesn't begin to describe this place.

Those are the ones I know about. There's still plenty of time for new bidders to come in.

Triple Five hasn't made any decisions yet. They're sending their people to check out the building next week.

The creditors are trying to gain international attention so anything can happen at this point.

Back