News   Apr 16, 2024
 34     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 484     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The only other option would be to go up and over Yonge Street with a Plus 15 type bridge, and I'd be more than surprised to see that too.

That will never happen. As flawed as the City's planners are, I doubt they'd ever interupt the sight-lines of the world's longest street in this section. It would completely destroy the street.

Yeah, like I said, I'd be more than surprised were that to happen.

Anyway, in regards to your "world's longest street" mention; I believe Guiness drop-kicked that ridiculous claim from their World Records book several years ago now. Yonge Street ends in the Holland Marsh. It's time this city let that one go.

I went to a film on Saturday night at AMC and the following escalators were not moving:
- Concourse Level to Ground Level
- Ground Level to Future Shop Level
- Future Shop Level to Food Court Level
- Food Court Level to AMC/Jack Astor's/Woo/Milestone's Level

Should have taken the elevator, but we had no idea all four escalators were out. It was lateish, but it was so busy there was really no justifiable reason that I could see why all four would have been shut down.

(Forgive me for describing the levels as such - with the renaming of the building and the PenEquity mess, I had been hoping to describe the levels as they officially are on the leasing floorplans, but they're not available.)

Glad to hear they're back and running again.

Someone probably thought it would be fun to press the stop button. It happens where I work all the time. It then takes a while to find someone to restart them.

For all the whining on UT regarding this project--amongst others--it's interesting on the rare occasions I find myself in this dreadful part of the city, I simply don't care anymore! Sometimes, on a cold winter's day, I find myself actually liking the joint! And all the cute Ryerson students buzzing around it.:)

TrizecHahn & Brookfield are the same bid it seems. I don't think Brookfield would be in it for the long term. They're probably calculating that they can buy this for cheap, renovate it to the meet the high value of the location and then sell it off. They did this with Atrium on Bay.

Hines, the new Atrium owner seems like a serious bidder, as they've been requesting a lot of information about the bidding process, the status of the building's finances, etc.

Triple Five has a team coming to Toronto next week to check out the building and the determine the potential of a bid.

These seem to be the three most serious contenders although there may be more coming forward as the mid October negotiating begins.

While digging for info on the original bidders -- where PenEquity won the right to build this place -- I found out that one of the earliest proposals was to put a rollercoaster on the East side of the building above the AMC theatres. In fact, the structure was engineered and built to that specification but no rollercoaster came. I'm assuming this was part of the Disney venture.

Looks like there are some hidden easter eggs in Metropolis's frame that will allow a new owner to get real creative. :)

a rollercoaster would be SOOOO cool @ Metropolis/MLS ..... that would be our mini version of Las Vegas' The Strip ~ LOL

There's apparently room to expand 2 floors up on the AMC side. Maybe a new developer could get Dave & Busters on board with a bowling alley on one of the floors, games on another and a few rides on the roof. Besides a rollercoaster, a DropZone type ride could also fit in there.

Imagine the loading area being inside the venue, with the tower poking out through the roof. You'd be elevated to 200 feet with a view of downtown Toronto over the Eaton Centre and then suddenly dropped through the floor and back into the building. :D

There's room up there for at least a few different rides, although the info that I got only shows it being engineered for a rollercoaster.

^ A drop-zone style ride as described would be really awesome. Whoever ends up with the building and puts some money into improving/renovating it I hope they think about removing the grey corrugated cladding and putting up something a bit more cheery or colourful. It's a pretty depressing looking building in my opinion.

I think black glass would look great. This building needs to not only be a beacon of lights but reflect the ones around it. The matte grey panels do nothing for this. A reflective black cladding would have this building glittering all night and reflecting the street buzz during the day.

Change its name to
20px-Prince_symbol.svg.png
Square. The Square Formerly Known As Toronto Life

I love both of the last two suggestions! Black would give far better contrast for the ads, and anything seen through the windows, and the name, well, ha!

It looks like we may have a pre-emptive winner by sheer financial backing:

Brookfield-TrizecHahn's bid is to buy the building and lease it to Hines (The Atrium on Bay) which would redevelop the building and manage it. Brookfield it seems is out of the the shopping mall business and is only interested in this to turn a profit on a currently cheap building which will no doubt be worth a lot more after redevelopment.

This bid will win unless Triple 5 is serious. They're THE player in Shopping Malls. I'd welcome either one! The smaller players don't stand a chance... and that includes any potential PenEquity subsidiary. Thank the Lord!

Back