News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 641     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 920     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
... now to reward you for reading all my points, I've found a very interesting early video rendering of Metropolis. PenEquity at least had the idea along the right lines. They just cheaped out in the execution.

Metropolis: Early Video Rendering

seeing this walkthrough, it seems like they had a good idea going with both the torch building and TLS but as you said, cheaped out in the end.

if both buildings came out the way they wanted them to be, the YD corner would really be a great place to be.

The video doesn't look much better than the finished product...just what you'd expect from a glossy video render.

Stay until the credits are over (trust me).

Did I miss much? I didn't have time to stay until the credits were over (which is something I often do) and I noticed almost everyone else was still in their seat when I left. As for the movie itself it was quite enjoyable.

Did I miss much? I didn't have time to stay until the credits were over (which is something I often do) and I noticed almost everyone else was still in their seat when I left. As for the movie itself it was quite enjoyable.
If you follow the comics or the Marvel universe in general, there's a very cool surprise at the end.

^ Mods, I think this thread is in need of some cleanup. :rolleyes:

The video doesn't look much better than the finished product...just what you'd expect from a glossy video render.

Yes, the rendering is overstated but the idea of a colourful entertainment space with over the top lighting schemes and outdoor ads fit in and worked... at least in concept. They eliminated the ceiling and the floor finishes, cheaped out on the quality of outdoor ads – settling for mere backlit billboards – and failed miserably in the execution (the wrong spacing between satellite screens being a good example).

I went to TLS today and a temporary (I hope) banner has been unfurled over where the Jack Astor's signage is in the renderings. A Jack Astor's sign and menu has been placed on the Victoria St. side, with an elevator that presumably leads to the 4th floor.

The decor of the restaurant looks nice, and you can see some lamps and shrubs on the patio from Yonge-Dundas square. There also looks like there are some spotlights directed towards the grey half-cylindrical thing.

The inside of TLS is slowly coming along, with TV-screens popping up everywhere, above each set of escalators.

^ good news about the direct elevator to Jack Astors. I looked up the floor plans and there is indeed a Victoria St. elevator that opens directly into Jack Astors on the 4th floor.

I went inside for the first time and last time today. I live across the street but I dared not go inside.

It's a joke. It's not a funny joke. Pen Equity is/has been a 9 year joke but what they have "built" inside is beyond embarrassing... it is surely the ugliest cheap out short-cut in Toronto retail history. The perfect ending to a decade-long nightmare. And it's confusing to navigate so escape is difficult.

Expropriation is needed. Pen Equity bankruptcy (an all the pensioners they represent) is wished for...

Kyle Ray has eluded the blame for too long as well. It was under his nose that this property was expropriated and given to the least qualified developer. It was under his watch that PenEquity delayed this project and stalled progress in this area for a decade.

... yet, he keeps getting elected. I hate to start controversy, but is it because he's gay in a "gay ward"? Why does he get re-elected over and over?

I don't think expropriating the property again is going to solve anything as we've seen that the city and the councillor are incapable of steering this to any degree of success. The hope lies in the market driving PenEquity to either upgrade to compete with Cadillac Fairview's offerings across the street or go under and be bought out by another developer like what happened to the Olympic Spirit Centre.

My wish is for one of the following scenarios to play out:

a) Cadillac Fairview sees the potential of Toronto Life Square and buys it out from PenEquity. CF is a much more saavy developer and would realize the potential of this corner.
b) PenEquity refuses to sell and Cadillac Fairview builds its own movie theatre complex with Cineplex Odeon – SEARS' upper (unused) floors are perfect for this – and people choose the natural winner forcing TLS to either upgrade or close.

To be positive about TLS is to be negative about Toronto itself.

I really do need to know what that means. Is this a "you're for us or your're against us" mentality. Are you saying I can't be positive about TLS and Toronto at the same time?

I'm not saying that I do, or do not like TLS overall for the purpose of this post. This comment seems like we're painting with very broad strokes.

Or am I making too much of this?

Back