News   Apr 24, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 770     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Toronto is basically a cheap imitation of a city. One of my pleasures in coming to this site is to have a place where I don't have to hear comments like that, that I find really ill-informed and whiny. I don't mean to suggest that anything in the city is above criticism, and I see that you are being self-deprecating, so I don't want to come on too harsh, but I think you'd be happier if you'd balance your expectations with reality somewhat.

A Future Shop, really, isn't something to

a) get your hopes up about
b) to get depressed about

It's like someone coming up to you and saying "They're opening a Second Cup near me and the sign says it's going to be the best one ever!". You'd (hopefully) kind of roll your eyes and leave it at that.

As for your mood, summer is on its way. When I find myself down and out, especially about Toronto, I find it good to read online articles about my least-favourite city, Atlanta, which is moving into another year of drought. Atlanta, truly, is a cheap imitation of a city, and Toronto is heaven by any possible means of comparison.

but in Toronto should we take sanctification to comparing ourselves to city who are nowhere near our caliber.

Or look at other bigger "real cities"....

How about we try to rejoice in who we are as a City and not compare ourselves to any others, smaller or bigger, better or worse.

I'm reminded of an acquaintance of mine and his thoughts on living happily in Toronto (esp in the Fall/Winter season):

You gotta have a bottle of Scotch with you at all times in order to reassure yourself that Toronto is a beautiful city filled with beautiful stylish people.

When I'm drunk, and at night, I like Toronto. By day....:(

Anyhow, I'm a moody lad and anything chitty gets me down real bad.

On a positive note, I did get a cheap digital camera at Future Shop and will do a photo tour soon of everything that I like about Toronto. Anyone looking forward to me becoming a P+S artist?

UrbanNightmare... 2 things.

Only you think that you are clever. Most of the folks here just assume you are needy... but don't really care.

On the plus side, I'm sure you've bummed out a few people.

If as you claim you lift your quill in favour of Frank magazine, well frankly I think it must be a volunteer position (rarely published).

There you go... you're in the spotlight that you crave...

best regards

needy 3D

Ha ha very funny. However, since I'm not a Cancer nor a Taurus I'm not needy; but as a Sagittarian 'tis true I crave attention.:)

Oh yeah I do need a better paying job asap. Frank isn't paying the bills.:(

Speaking the truth--which is how I like it--does sometimes result in everyone feeling down. However, my purpose here is not to impress nor to promote Toronto but is a form of therapy and amusement for myself. Maybe I've got a few fans even?

Toronto Dead Square is within my sight and I'm not gonna forgive it for giving me a migraine....;)

More good news: Awesome photo update via http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=596573 :)

Atlanta, truly, is a cheap imitation of a city, and Toronto is heaven by any possible means of comparison.

Though when John Portman ruled the day in the 60s and 70s, the "cheap imitation of a city" quality was its own best virtue...perhaps...

Anyway, I can understand the high expectations attached to the TLS Future Shop, using the comparison point of big-box-retail imagineering in Times Square. Then again, the bare-bonesness of FS-TLS somehow suits a post-meltdown-of-2008 age...

I went in to check the lobby of TLS tonight. It's rather bland for a movie theatre lobby. I really hope they're not planning on leaving the floor bare like it is.

On the bright side, Future Shop is making some tweaks that is bringing its second floor level to its full potential.
All the windows surrounding the second floor area coming off the escalator and looking into FutureShop are now unobstructed and clear.
FutureShop dominates this entire second floor 'lobby' so it sucked that they had opaque windows on one side and boxes piled up on the other. They've correct that.

Something that strikes me as obvious, but may not be to the management of TLS is that they're trying to achieve a mall feel in an environment where it works against them.
The lighting is quite bright as if to encourage foot movement through the building but the small number of tenants suggests that dim lighting would work so much better.
Dimming the lights would take the "You have arrived" spotlight away from TLS and give it to the individual tenants. This increases the value of the space benefitting both the tenants and TLS.
Currently you feel that you're somewhere but you have nothing to do until you go into a store. TLS's lobbies should be transitioning spaces. You want people to move towards well lit spaces which should be exclusive to the tenants.

For god's sake urbandreamer, move to a city you like and quit subjecting us with your whining. You sound like you got dumped by someone from Toronto and you've been bitter ever since.

I don't get the attitude that assumes it is a given that Toronto must be dismal and ugly from November to, what is it now, May? This is why I do have a problem with Dundas Square not clearing snow, as if it is an assumption that nobody would want to be there anyway. Toronto should set the example of what a northern city can be in the colder months, which except for the most bitterest of snowy wintery days doesn't mean we all have to cower inside with the Scotch or live in the PATH system. The reality of Toronto is winter, at least an entire quarter of the year and this means we have to reinvent our experience of it, which requires creativity and innovation: When snowy vineyards give you ice, you make ice wine! Okay, sort of a lame lemons to lemonade analogy but you get my point...

I don't get the attitude that assumes it is a given that Toronto must be dismal and ugly from November to, what is it now, May? This is why I do have a problem with Dundas Square not clearing snow, as if it is an assumption that nobody would want to be there anyway. Toronto should set the example of what a northern city can be in the colder months, which except for the most bitterest of snowy wintery days doesn't mean we all have to cower inside with the Scotch or live in the PATH system. The reality of Toronto is winter, at least an entire quarter of the year and this means we have to reinvent our experience of it, which requires creativity and innovation: When snowy vineyards give you ice, you make ice wine! Okay, sort of a lame lemons to lemonade analogy but you get my point...

I dont know why everyone is complaining about them not clearing the snow at Dundas Square. They do! The last batch of complaints about snow clearing at Dundas Square were going on after it had already been cleared. Its always done within a week of the snowfall. (it was 2 days after the last snow fall)

I dont know why everyone is complaining about them not clearing the snow at Dundas Square. They do! The last batch of complaints about snow clearing at Dundas Square were going on after it had already been cleared. Its always done within a week of the snowfall. (it was 2 days after the last snow fall)

It's the urban legend that won't die.

I went inside today for the first time in awhile, and it's actually much warmer than it was when it first opened. The AMC counters and signage did alot to add visual interest to the main lobby, and even some of the little touches like garbage cans and the new directory thingy make it feel less like an abandoned industrial complex and more like an innocuous retail centre (which is all I personally was ever hoping for).

Also, the first indication of the interior signage program made its appearance, with the escalator leading to the movie theatre getting a fancy new paint job and signs and lights installed on it. Not really attractive, but flashy, and better than the cold industrial thing.

Back