News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I think the biggest failture of this building is the first floor serves no purpose: escalators and movie tickets counters. Kidding? Why all the empty space on the first floor at Y/D? What are they thinking?

Check the Victoria side on street view. The new building is built over a multi-story Ryerson car park. There is external retail on the ground floor. The internal stuff doesn't bother me. Why would it matter that you walk right into the movie theatre?

You don't need to walk right into the theatre. What you don't need are ticket counters down here. Proper retail would have been a plus over the current set up.

You don't need to walk right into the theatre. What you don't need are ticket counters down here. Proper retail would have been a plus over the current set up.

that's exactly my point. Get rid of the ticket counter and replace it with a medium size retailer for the entire first floor.

As to Victoria entrance, I remember there is a Wind dealer and a couple of other stores. Can you ever get to the second floor from that corner? This entire building complex doesn't work as a uniform retail mall. Rather it is all bits and pieces. For example, there is also an entrance on Yonge where you can get to the second floor to FurtherShop. However, there is no first floor access at the same entrance, just an elevator. The whole set up is confusing.

There is no "first floor" to the "mall", that's the point. The building has a larger floorplate on floor 3 than at ground level. As far as I know there is a functioning, pre-existing multi-story car park on the site, with an entrance on Victoria. The accessible parts of "10 Dundas" are built around and above it, which is why the only "large" floors are at 3 and above. Maybe a mall would have been a better idea, but it's not like they picked the current set-up just to annoy you. Blame Ryerson.

does anyone know why ryerson was so hell-bent on keeping that parking garage in the first place??? surely it could have been relocated elsewhere on campus and hidden underground

This property will be doing some upgrades to the facade, as well as creating a new animated entrance canopy. Improvements look decent.

This property will be doing some upgrades to the facade, as well as creating a new animated entrance canopy. Improvements look decent.

Please, don't get my hopes up. This development was the biggest disappointment in the city (for me) and I'm afraid to even think about what it could have and should have been. That being said, where is the rendering? It would be so easy to improve this ugly beast. I hope they at least give us some colour by covering up that grey tin shed.

I cannot post anything, but the rendering I was shown had glazing replacing a lot of the aluminum siding, in particular removing the "fans" , it also had a rounded canopy that extended over Dundas, It looked like it had a video screen and or was LED with CINIPLEX CINEMAS in channel lettering above it (it had a very marquee look to it) and the installation of LED lighting to the existing canopies.

Too late to save this train wreck, but any efforts to mitigate its hideousness would be appreciated. My main issue is still the interior discordance, though probably be a long time before we see any major improvements for that. On the bright side, much of the backside will be covered up by the future development of the Empress site.

Too late to save this train wreck, but any efforts to mitigate its hideousness would be appreciated. My main issue is still the interior discordance, though probably be a long time before we see any major improvements for that. On the bright side, much of the backside will be covered up by the future development of the Empress site.

both this and Atrium on Bay could be great retail and entertainment space at a prime location, but both turn out to be an epic failure. What a disgrace.
Why are all the retail in 10 Dundas W so disconnected? I have been to it many many times but still I don't remember what it offers ... a movie theatre, Futureshop and a foodcourt. A milestone's in a mysterious floor also. That's all I remember.

Atrium on Bay is even a bigger failure in providing good quality retail.

Back