News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Really? Consider the opposite: crowds don't flock to attractive buildings just because they are pretty.

Yeah, I don't see the connection. There are about two dozen buildings in all of Tokyo that could actually be considered attractive, but that doesn't mean that the city's neighbourhoods aren't packed with people.

How can the building serve its purpose well and liven up the neighbourhood if it's ass-hideous? To me this is contradictory.

Because of what of what is inside this complex, it brings in thousands to tens of thousands of additional people a day, thus livening up an already busy area. It has nothing to do with the building's aesthetics, but the successful businesses and use of space within. Y+D Square should also be given credit where credit is due for also breathing more life and excitement into this area in the past several years.

I was just being argumentative out of frustration over the building's hideousness. I suppose I wish that ugly buildings couldn't possibly ever function at a practical level but, alas, that's not the case, at least not here.

(Archivist, I hope you don't call me on labelling TLS 'ugly' without further elaboration. I wouldn't know where to begin.;))

Last edited:
I was just being argumentative out of frustration over the building's hideousness. I suppose I wish that ugly buildings couldn't possibly ever function at a practical level but, alas, that's not the case, at least not here.

Fair enough, this building evokes very strong emotions! :)

Man, 27, critical after 2-storey theatre fall

Aug 17, 2009 10:32 AM
Jasmeet Sidhu
Madeleine White
Staff Reporters

A 27-year-old man is in critical condition this morning after he fell more than 30 feet from the second floor of a downtown movie theatre last night.

It happened just before midnight at the AMC Theatre near the Yonge-Dundas Square.

According to witnesses, the man was coming down the escalator when he decided to sit on the moving handrail, in order to ride it down., but unfortunately he lost his balance and fell 30 feet, landing on his head.

He was taken to hospital, where he remains in grave condition with head injuries, said Sgt. John Spanton.

It was the second accidental incident on Sunday attributed to "misadventure."

Earlier in the day a 30-year-old man died after diving into a public fountain in Berczy Park between Front and Wellington Sts.

Emergency crews arrived to find the man floating face-down in the water without vital signs.

Source

Okay, so my worst nightmare scenario that I envision everytime I am on that escalator just came true.

Shit.

And because of work I am always going into this building several times a day, so this is really unavoidable for me. LOL. Ohhh boy.

Okay, so my worst nightmare scenario that I envision everytime I am on that escalator just came true.

Shit.

And because of work I am always going into this building several times a day, so this is really unavoidable for me. LOL. Ohhh boy.

Just don't ride on the handrail and you should be okay.

Countdown to to the installation of "Do not sit on the handrail" signs in 5...4...3...

This is heartbreaking.

And it was forseeable. I think if you scroll back through this thread it was forseen. It's terrible design. I know it's not the only precariously-perched escalator in the world, but consider its use: it has to handle large quantities of people who are most likely to be young, likely to be in a rowdy state, having just emerged from lectures and movie screenings, and is subject to routine crush loads as hundreds of people come out of these buildings at once.

These escalators are particularly prone to falls because 1) they hang over open space (not entirely uncommon, I know), 2) they're conspicuously narrow, not leaving enough space to stand 2-abreast and pass and leading to crushes and 3) the up and down escalators aren't abreast, instead being separated in a ham-fisted attempt to drag circulation through the food court. This means that the passengers are exposed to a drop on both sides. If you assume that some passengers will be idiots some of the time, separating the up and the down doubles the chances that someone will take a fall.

Another forseeable calamity is that one escalator passes within easy arm's reach of a sprinkler-head hanging from the roof. How long before some excited kid reaches out, tweaks it, sets off the system, and pandemoneum erupts?

The nightmare of this thoughtless building is just beginning. Only now the consequences are more severe than offending people's tastes.

Last edited:
I think this building is a failure in every conceivable way. I would be happy if it was demolished and they started over from scratch.

While the accident is tragic, I may sound cold in saying it's not entirely non-deserving. The guy's 27 years old, not some young 11 year old kid. You are expected to use your head (ironic since he sort of did). The good thing that came out of this is he has set an example of what not to do. Hopefully, people will smarten up.

Personal responsibility is a real factor, yeah. But like I said, I think you have to assume that X% of people will act like idiots some of the time, and ask yourself as an architect, what I can I do to reduce the chances that acting like an idiot will prove fatal?

Nobody's asking for padded cells and rounded corners. But designs that seem to *increase* the likelihood of something predictable (emphasis on the predictable) and awful happening really anger me.

arrr ... our love of TLS re-ignites :D with the recent accident (where the injured is clearly responsible for his own actions)

Back