News   Apr 22, 2024
 777     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's a rough generalization, and it's more of an attack on the defeatist attitudes of TLS apologists.

If everyone were saying, "there's nothing wrong with this building, it's fine, there's little to criticize," I think that paints a very dim picture for Toronto. Fortunately, everyone is definitely not saying that.

Gotcha - and I agree. More to say, to be complacent about architectural and cultural failings is to be complacent about Toronto – architecturally and culturally, which is at least (or best) certainly not a positive attitude.

Having said that, there are indeed certain unforgivable failings regarding TLS: Conception, design, project management, property management. And I do believe I'm not alone in my opinion.

Onward, though in the right hands with the right amount of investment, this project could still find a way to work and perhaps to shine, but it's a long way off the mark today.

Just wondering...

Does anyone know when the Toronto Life art deco sign will be installed on Yonge street? This is surprising TLS has not erected these signs! Calls to TLS were not returned.

?

I think that either Toronto Life is manufacturing one hell of a custom sign or they don't want to put their name on that piece of shit just yet.

Toronto Life can demand that certain conditions be met before putting their name on the building. If they agreed to sponsoring the building based on outdated renderings for example, they can drop out or force PenEquity to finish the building as per the agreement.

Either that, or Toronto Life is simply waiting for all the tenants to move in so that the building looks more finished.

Toronto Life can demand that certain conditions be met before putting their name on the building. If they agreed to sponsoring the building based on outdated renderings for example, they can drop out or force PenEquity to finish the building as per the agreement.

Either that, or Toronto Life is simply waiting for all the tenants to move in so that the building looks more finished.

I'm sure it works both ways...once certain conditions have been met Toronto Life would have to put its name up. We have no way of knowing what those conditions are other than speculating...

Either way, it doesn't make any sense for them to wait. If they want "Toronto Life Square" to be a real brand they need to get big signs up, end of story.

Here's some reality: Toronto Life is already a successful, well-established brand. Sponsor signage isn't going to make or break them. They have every reason to demand a greater standard of quality before they put their name on the building.

If you asked 10 people around the downtown area where Toronto Life Square is; and / or asked the same people if they had been to the adidas store at Toronto Life Square how many would pass the test? Not that putting up a sign is going to change it 100% in the short term, but at least people can recognize and correlate the name of the centre to a physical attribute on the building.

Toronto Life is a well-established brand, but they have sponsored a building and are working torwards establishing a new brand Toronto Life Square not Toronto Life.

Here's some reality: Toronto Life is already a successful, well-established brand. Sponsor signage isn't going to make or break them. They have every reason to demand a greater standard of quality before they put their name on the building.

Toronto Life is a well-established brand, but they have sponsored a building and are working torwards establishing a new brand Toronto Life Square not Toronto Life.
All the more reason for them to demand a higher quality product. It's still Toronto Life's name on it. Their existing brand is a quality publication that contains restaurant reviews, neighbourhood and shopping guides, and general happenings about town. TLS is about as unclassy as you can get. The two things hardly complement each other, so why would they risk tarnishing their established name?

Again, we are speculating on the terms of the deal...the tenants all have a right to a well defined marketing plan that defines and assumes people know the name of the centre.

Toronto Life would have known that they weren't sponsoring the AGO or ROM. I'm sure they are fine with the building.

How can you be sure? I wonder if a growing realization that this building would not be up to Wolfgang Puck's standards is what caused them to leave the building. It is possible that Toronto Life was expecting a better finished product. We were, weren't we? Wasn't everybody? Who in their right mind would ever have predicted what we have ended up with?

I bet there is some head scratching going on at Toronto Life over this.

How can you be sure? I wonder if a growing realization that this building would not be up to Wolfgang Puck's standards is what caused them to leave the building. It is possible that Toronto Life was expecting a better finished product. We were, weren't we? Wasn't everybody? Who in their right mind would ever have predicted what we have ended up with?

I bet there is some head scratching going on at Toronto Life over this.

Wolfgang Puck, the same brand that has opened and planned and / or closed numerous restauants in the GTA over the past few years...come on. IMO Wolfgang's / Virgin's / the Music Hall of Fame's departures had nothing to do with aesthetics. Business models change and things don't always work out. I don't think it would matter what they built here, the decision regarding this development was made more than 4000 posts ago.

Back