News   Apr 26, 2024
 242     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 273     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 463     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Just a funny thought as I found myself in the Future Sh*t store today: a huge barn-like space with zero character. Very depressing.

I didn't see any problem with the Future Shop. It looks like a Future Shop, what were you expecting?

But irrespective of all of that, the bet stands. It will be gone, that is what I bet. The contents of the building are not as befits the land and location, and given that it is now being eyed as the new 'gateway to Ryerson', and seeing as the design of it stands in the way of all of that ... it will be gone.

The whole thing gone, or just the appearance thereof?

Unless it turns out to be structurally unsound, I can envisage an extreme visual/functional makeover in a decade more than I can envisage demolition--if only because we're in increasingly in an era when raw demolition is viewed as a waste of embodied energy and all that, esp. when it comes to something so new...

I tend to agree with adma here- I don't see this building being demolished, but rather retro-fitted to fit other/newer requirements. Not that I am opposed to it being demolished, its just the fact of how just wasteful that would ultimately be.

p5

urban stores, usually are nicer and have many more features.

Like the H and M at the Eaton centre has many more clothes then your typical H & M.

I could not see them bringing any new different products. Perhaps a better design or layout of the store would be better.

The damn thing isn't even complete yet and you folks are talking about demolishing it already? Could that be an UT first?

Hey, we spent 10 years criticizing it for not being built and now before it's finished, we want it demolished. I'd say that's a first. :D

Speaking of Torch, seeing as we've all seen the Rogers Renders, we all want that demolished now too don't we?

Speaking of Torch, seeing as we've all seen the Rogers Renders, we all want that demolished now too don't we?

I don't. I actually like the Rogers rendering. I'm aware that it's a drawing necessary to buy the tower portion that the city owns so very little detail is visible and/or accurate. I'm excited by the potential of the red crystalline structure.

If you find it "very depressing" that a Future Shop looks like a Future Shop, then you have some issues around expectations. There are many things in this world that I could find very depressing, this is not one of them.

If you find it "very depressing" that a Future Shop looks like a Future Shop, then you have some issues around expectations. There are many things in this world that I could find very depressing, this is not one of them.

Touche. But I remember reading some hype somewhere at some point that this futureshop (years before it opened) was supposed to be some type of futuristic store with built in technogazmos and awesome features to literallly blow you mind upon walking in. Not sure if an escalator counts. So while I myself didn't have high expectations I was at least hoping for the next Epcot ;).

Seriously, as far as concept goes, this futureshop is no different than the Best Buy down the street. Which is no different than the Best Buys or Futureshops anywhere else. Something nicer (cooler) would have been great but really there was no incentive for the chain to deliver anything more than their standard product. Oh well.

But we all know the world of tomorrow will be filled with belligerent bending robots, hilarious crab men, one-eyed hotties and a charming young man from the past, say 1999, who learns that his expectations of the future were misguided. You see, it turns out life isn't that different in the future... it is just bizarre.

Well I find parts of Toronto very depressing. Walking up Bay St yesterday it looked so grim and sad. Dundas Square was lifeless and Yonge St downright creepy. Maybe I prefer living underground?

Basically, Toronto Lifeless Square--aka Future Shop--is another reminder that Toronto is basically a cheap imitation of a city--as in anything built 1960 onwards is developed by cheap bastards.

Maybe the overcast skies were affecting my feelings yesterday? Maybe I'm a cynical fool?

Whatever, Future Shop just looked rather tired and sad.:)

I agree Toronto Life Square is rather useless from Nov to May...

From May to October though it is very lively... To me it appears the city really wakes up and becomes alive in those months. That is the time where Toronto is a really good fun place. With weekly festivals and huge parades and many different events. Place the streets are cleaner, there are more people everywhere and everything is more green and alive.

I am just the many on the board who always grow depressed about the city during this time of the year??

Back