News   Apr 15, 2024
 958     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I was afraid they were going to remove that stairway. I like the direct access ones and I hope that the new connection doesn't involve a huge detour through the building to get down to the station like on the Eaton Centre side.

I like that they've moved the open stair case out. It widens the sidewalk and is less dangerous.

And speaking of the sidewalk, they've cleared away a lot of the mess that we've been trashing on about for the past few months. From Gerrard to Dundas (on the east wide at least) most of the crap has been cleared away and the granite stripes are back and repaired. They still need finish the job (fill in the cracks) and cut special slabs to go around the new poles (which are also all up) but the sidewalk looks so much better.

I'm rather shocked no new signs have been installed in what seems to be weeks...i thought they would be rushing to put the last 3 big signs up...in time for late December ...as specified in a quoted article from the sign installation company...what happened?

I was afraid they were going to remove that stairway. I like the direct access ones and I hope that the new connection doesn't involve a huge detour through the building to get down to the station like on the Eaton Centre side.

Yes it does.

Smaller stair than the old stairwell as well single wide escalators. It will be a lot harder and slower to get to the station than the old stairwell.

You can see them if you use the Dundas entrance for Future Shop on the left hand side.

My understanding they would put a vertical air vent in at the bottom of the stair and grating over the opening of the stair at street level.

Winter happened...

I can see several construction cranes inactive this week too. Perhaps snow, ice or it being -15 with the wind-chill during the day had something to do with it.

Things have gone downhill ever since Mel called the Army to move some snow. No one can deal with winter anymore in this town.

My understanding they would put a vertical air vent in at the bottom of the stair and grating over the opening of the stair at street level.

I had a peek behind the hording and they seem to be in the process of demolishing the stairs - yellow tiles and all.

AoD

Passing through Dundas station today I love how the TTC printed off a whole stack of "Stairway Closed" signs and just stuck them on every vertical surface in the station. Signs now declare "Stairway Closed" not just on the hoarding where the former stairwell was, but also on the Dundas Square stairwell, the entrance to the DS parking lot, and by the stairs to the underpass to the southbound tracks, all of which are very much open.

The second part of the trivision is being put up as we speak. They have Yonge street closed to what seems both lanes of traffic.

I will try and get some pictures in the morning, right now I am way to tired to go back out with the camera.

Paul

Ah, it's a slow Sunday morning and my loved one has left for the day on family business which (fortunately) I needn't involve myself with ...

You know something, I like this development, although parts of it are cheesy. Cheesy, yes and I para-quote writer Joe Keenan who (through one of characters) said "last time I checked, french fries were still outselling fois gras". Why not have one corner of Toronto pay homage to the cheesy part of this world? We are a city of districts, are we not?

> I am no symmetry freak; the helter-skelter arrangements actually will work. I hope they some day install the aerial wingings on top of the building (can't cost too much, can they -- LOL). Go cheesy or go home.

> The collection of ads (including those from neighbouring media towers) will eventually create the original concept.

> The featureless back of the building that faces northward is bad, and there is nothing that says it shouldn't be covered in adds too, that may be the ultimate rescue for that part.

> The square that the building fronts on -- Dundas Square (for now) needs to be respected. Enough of renting it out for commercial use, and time to get an Alexander Calder, or a winter-only series of glass sculptures to make up for the loss of the summmertime fountains.

> The neighbouring "Torch"? It's not bad, actually, the use of it is what's key.

> It's hard to compete with a street-hog like Eaton Centre. That's why you've got the retail "cheap-out" happening inside TSL at this point in time.​

I'm checking out the leases thus far, floor by floor...a few things of note:

- the street level 'nose' is still available, and since most of that unit's floor space is in an inaccessible concourse bunker, no wonder.
- most of the forlorn sub-concourse and the entire sub-sub-concourse has been taken by Extreme Fitness.
- there's gonna be two Subways? Why not one Mr. Sub for competition?
- the Milestone's going on the 4th floor is ginormous.
- most of the office space is still available...but who, other than telemarketers, would want an office with the backs of giant ads instead of windows?

(sorry if this has all been mentioned, but there's no way I'm scrolling through 3000 posts to find out.)

I really hope that we get a couple of IMAX screens at TLS AMC, plus at least a few screens of digital projection instead of 35MM. Movie complexes are hurting financially, they need to compete with large High Definition TV panels and 5.1 channel audio systems that many of us have at home.

This is not directly related to TLS, but to AMC

From the NY Times

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 6 — Imax and AMC Entertainment are teaming up to open
100 Imax theaters, doubling the number of large-format 3-D outlets in
the United States and adding momentum to Hollywood’s growing interest
in the genre.

The deal involves equipping 100 of AMC’s existing auditoriums with
next-generation Imax projection systems, which rely on digital images
rather than film and are meant to provide an immersive viewing
experience.

Imax will shoulder the expense of the projectors, which cost about
$500,000 each. AMC, one of the world’s largest movie theater chains,
will pay to retrofit auditoriums in top-performing movie complexes in
33 cities, reconfiguring the seats and enlarging the screens.

The partnership comes as Hollywood rushes to churn out 3-D movies.
Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson have agreed to direct and produce a
trilogy of 3-D movies about Tintin, the Belgian comic book hero.
DreamWorks Animation recently announced that it would distribute
several future movies in 3-D, including “Shrek Goes Forth.†James
Cameron’s coming “Avatar†is being prepared in 3-D.

In gearing up more theaters, Imax and AMC are chasing different goals.
AMC, which is based in Kansas City, Mo., is trying to battle an
industrywide slump in attendance while squeezing out more revenue from
existing auditoriums. Because Imax tickets cost an extra $2 to $4, the
conversion should increase revenue in the converted auditoriums by one
third, according to Peter C. Brown, the chief executive of AMC.

For Imax, the joint venture carries extra weight. The company, with
headquarters in New York and Toronto, has struggled to expand into
mainstream movie theaters from its roots in science and history
museums. Although it has persuaded some movie studios to release Imax
versions of their regular films, Imax has recently suffered loses
associated with regulatory inquiries into its accounting methods.

In restated filings last month, Imax reported a loss of $16.8 million
on revenue of $129.5 million for 2006. Also in 2006, an effort to sell
the company faltered when no buyers offered the price Imax was seeking.

The deal with AMC, which is expected to add up to $35 million a year in
additional cash, will go a long way toward stabilizing the company,
said Bradley J. Wechsler, the co-chief executive of Imax. “This is
transformational for us from a strategic point of view,†he said. AMC
and Imax said they will divide the revenue from the theaters according
to a pre-existing formula that they declined to describe.

Imax’s digital projection systems are new. Until now, Imax has relied
upon equipment that translated film into 3-D projections and was so
costly and clunky that it squelched demand.

As the technology improves, the movie business is pursuing 3-D as a way
to beat competition for leisure time from home theaters, the Internet
and video games. The move comes from the cinematic playbook of the
past: During the mid-1950s, studios released 3-D films like “House of
Wax†and “Bwana Devil†in large part to lure audiences away from the
upstart medium of television.

Recent results for films exhibited in 3-D have intensified interest.
“Beowulf,†a fantasy adaptation of the classic tale, was released on
Nov. 16 in three formats: standard, Imax and one called “digital 3-D.â€
The film sold about $27.5 million in tickets at United States theaters
in its opening weekend, according to Media by Numbers. Imax made up
$3.6 million of the total, or 13 percent.

Imax releases in the past have typically contributed less than 5
percent of the gross. “There is no longer a question about the
viability of 3-D,†said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media by
Numbers.

Studios greeted the deal with enthusiasm. “This gives Imax a national
footprint they never had before, including in the suburbs, and is great
for studios looking to distribute titles in 3-D,†said Dan Fellman,
president of theatrical distribution at Warner Brothers.

Still, Imax is not home free. As digital projectors arrive at more
theaters — about 4,000 screens in the United States are now equipped
with the technology — a group of competing 3-D purveyors has sprung up.
Most aggressive is Real D, a maker of equipment to upgrade digital
projectors to show 3-D film.

I hope this Toronto-bred (unfortunately U.S.-owned now) technology survives. Always loved it and getting burned for a few thousand dollars on its stock price (years ago) hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for this "warm" purveyor of extraordinary resolution.

Main headquarters for IMAX is in Mississauga at 2525 Speakman Drive, so at least that is still Canadian...lol btw, are there any new screens up on metropolis? Anyone seen the building recently?

Back