News   Apr 26, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

1 vs 2 Fan Coils in Condo

uto123

Member Bio
Reaction score
My current condo unit (1br) has 1 fan coil unit but a condo that I looked at recently that's a 2br/2b has 2 fan coil units -- one in each bedroom.

Is it typical for 2br/2b units to have more than 1 fan coil?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of having 2 fan coils?

My current condo unit (1br) has 1 fan coil unit but a condo that I looked at recently that's a 2br/2b has 2 fan coil units -- one in each bedroom.

Is it typical for 2br/2b units to have more than 1 fan coil?

What are the benefits/drawbacks of having 2 fan coils?
The number of fan coils presumably depends in part on the layout and sq footage of the Unit. A very long rectangular unit probably needs 2 while a square one of same size may manage with 1. You are presumably also paying hydro for two not one but you also get more control of heat/cold as you have two zones. Answer" It depends!"

The number of fan coils presumably depends in part on the layout and sq footage of the Unit. A very long rectangular unit probably needs 2 while a square one of same size may manage with 1. You are presumably also paying hydro for two not one but you also get more control of heat/cold as you have two zones. Answer" It depends!"

Thanks!

Do you know what the difference is between a heat pump vs fan coil?
To the best of my knowledge, a heat pump system will allow individual control of heating or cooling at any time of the year and a fan coil setup is determined by when the building 'flips the switch' for AC/heat -- is this correct?
Is one method more energy efficient than the other for a noticeable difference on my hydro bill?

Thanks!

Do you know what the difference is between a heat pump vs fan coil?
To the best of my knowledge, a heat pump system will allow individual control of heating or cooling at any time of the year and a fan coil setup is determined by when the building 'flips the switch' for AC/heat -- is this correct?
Is one method more energy efficient than the other for a noticeable difference on my hydro bill?
I am certainly not an HVAC expert but you are basically right. If a unit has a heat pump it seems usual for this to belong to the UNIT while the fan coils tend to belong to the BUILDING. Heat pumps should be serviced annually and replaced after ca 20 years for ca $3500. If you own it these costs are yours. The building supplies the hot & cold water necessary for the heat pump to operate and I think heat pumps are generally more efficient. We have heat pumps in our building and one can certainly turn on the heat in July or the cooling in January.

what the difference is between a heat pump vs fan coil?

In this context, they're basically the same thing.
A fan/coil is a radiator with a heated or chilled solution running through it, and a fan blowing over it.
Some condos supply two loops with heated and chilled solutions, allowing you to switch between them, some provide one loop and switch between heated or chilled solutions depending on the time of year.

In this context, they're basically the same thing.
A fan/coil is a radiator with a heated or chilled solution running through it, and a fan blowing over it.
Some condos supply two loops with heated and chilled solutions, allowing you to switch between them, some provide one loop and switch between heated or chilled solutions depending on the time of year.

So based on @DSC explanation on heat pumps, does a two loop system require annual servicing and replacement after 20 years?

From my (limited) experience heat pumps seem to always belong to the Unit owner while fan coils belong to the Corporation. In my 33 year old building 75% of the heat pumps have been replaced in last 5 or 10 years so their life seems to be ca 20 years. You certainly need to check to see who owns the equipment!

Back