Toronto Celebration Condominiums at Bridlewood | ?m | 11s | Malibu Investments | P + S / IBI

D

disparishun

J'lem Economic Corp. to build apartments in Canada

JEC announce agreement with third party to build 1,100 apartments, 1,200 stores near Bridlewood Mall in Toronto, Canada

Ynet
Published: &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 11.23.06, 19:24

The Jerusalem Economic Corporation Ltd, under the control of Eliezer Fishman, has signed an agreement with a third party to build a real estate project near the Bridlewood Mall in Toronto, Canada, which will consist of 1,100 apartments and 1,200 stores on a plot of land currently used as a parking lot for the mall.

According to the agreement, the sides, together with the third party company, will establish a joint company with equal investments by all sides. The new company will construct the project and will pay for all of its expenses, including the land use conversion, the marketing, and the planning. According to the initial plans, the project will be marketed in stages, and with every completed stage, the land under it will be given to the lending bank as collateral.

CEO of the Jerusalem Economic Corporation Oded Shamir said that the deal refers to a mall which was purchased about five years ago by the Jerusalem Economic Corporation and Darban Investments, also under the control of Eliezer Fishman. "The apartments will be built on a large plot of land which was used as a parking lot. The apartments near the mall will increase the number of visitors to the mall and will help raise the value of the land," Shamir said.

The Jerusalem Economic Corporation Ltd. is Israel’s largest real estate company in terms of property assets held in Israel . The company and its subsidiaries own, develop, rent and manage real estate assets for industry, manufacturing, high-tech, offices, commerce, and residence in Israel, North America and Europe.

I'm thinking the 1200 stores has got to be a typo ... !

I live around the corner from this mall, and I'm trying to think where it would go. The largest lot I can think of it at the corner of finch and warden - and if that's the case I would hope these apartments would front Warden/Finch and be well integrated into the community.

I'd hate to see towers in park, in a lot, in a mall.

And 1,200 stores? That can't be right. I don't even think Pacific mall has anywhere near that number.

^Why does that corner look so much like Don Mills & Lawrence? It just seemed wierd.

... also like McCowan and Finch (Sandhurst Circle). The interesting thing is that two smaller ring roads are located on Warden and McCowan just before they hit Steeles. You can almost call Warden and McCowan twin streets.

It would be very interesting to see how this development plays out. Parking lot infill developments have yet to show up in autocentric north Scarborough, and from the mall's perspective shutting down a parking lot could be risky. Bridlewood Mall isn't exactly a busy mall. For a while I thought Bridlewood was headed towards becoming a dead mall, but the mall has suprisingly bounced back with some new stores.

There's also a big question of the effect of more high-rises in an area that already has a lot of "towers in parks". Will the new towers attract middle-class buyers/renters, or will they just form part of a north Scarborough high-rise ghetto, generating crime and housing marjuana grow-ops? I think the local residents will need a good answer to that question before they decide whether to back or oppose the proposal.

"^Why does that corner look so much like Don Mills & Lawrence? It just seemed wierd."

Because they are [inferior] replicas of the Don Mills model. Sandhurst (McCowan & Finch) is another almost-exact replica.

"The interesting thing is that two smaller ring roads are located on Warden and McCowan just before they hit Steeles."

But since Passmore was demoted from arterial to nothingness, those communities are almost total failures.

It's interesting to see the old Hydro ROW just to the west there infilled with small single detached dwellings, but with blocks so long, they're pedestrian unfriendly.

What is the deal with Passmore? Was that an old sideroad that got carved up with development, much like 2nd Line West in Mississauga?

Passmore is the next concession up from Finch in Scarborough, but since concessions in Scarborough don't match North York (Ellesmere to Lawrence is only 1.8km), when Steeles was plowed through, becoming the northern border, this left Passmore as a redundant arterial 600m south of Steeles. It was carved up, absorbed into the subdivisions. A pity, because it would be the preferred local bus route, not Steeles or McNicoll.

"but with blocks so long, they're pedestrian unfriendly."

The only way to prevent that would have been to buy occasional houses on adjacent streets and punch roads through their backyards, which will never happen.

McNicholl probably proxies as "New Passmore"; though yes, if Markhamesque New Urbanist principles held here when it was being planned, Old Passmore would more likely be the New Passmore.

Re Don Mills-esque circles in Scarborough, don't forget the much earlier one at Lawrence + Markham (and it's odd these knockoffs are pretty well *only* in Scarborough within the 416). And remember that in these northern reaches of Scarberia, "high-rise brothels" might be at least as ominous a threat as "high-rise grow-ops"...

"Re Don Mills-esque circles in Scarborough, don't forget the much earlier one at Lawrence + Markham"

It may be somewhat '-esque', but it does not have the classic 1/4 mall + library and 3/4 apartments within the circle, neighbourhood units, everything down to the fences built-as-planned arrangement. It's more like Bamburgh and Alton Towers - Don Mills lite.

It seems like that *might* have been its intention, but was a peacemeal hash in execution. (Still, Cedarbrae did pass for a Don Millsian "megamall" by pre-Yorkdale standards...)

Back