Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Probably just romanticizing on the prewar architecture and not even noticing the lack of colour. Sure a lot of junk has gone up in this era but, I don't think future generations looking back on what was accomplished during this "glass" age will look at it with such negativity.

There's a lot of good stuff going up in Toronto too, it's just that i don't know that it registers as 'romantic'. Certainly it doesn't for me. There's warmth, texture and detailing in the natural materials used in NYC and Chicago - and in older areas of Toronto for that matter - that glass and spandrel just don't have. Anyway, i only suggest that this why some feel the city is lacking for colour in its new architecture.

something like this might be cool - the Trutec building in South Korea

trutec-01.jpg

AE007a.jpg

....and you linked to a site that sells dichroic coatings for glass facades.

Because they have examples of architectural use of dichroic, and not because I am trying to advertise for them.

ChesterCuPot:

Yup - glass doesn't have to translate into boring at all. Not that we'd get anything like this, but SOM's Al Hamra tower points to how you can have a "warm" contemporary design:

Al-Hamra-SOM-1.jpg
(from Inhabitat)

AoD

Attachments

• Al-Hamra-SOM-1.jpg
    Al-Hamra-SOM-1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,674
Last edited:
Because they have examples of architectural use of dichroic, and not because I am trying to advertise for them.

I suspect you don't understand what dichroic coatings do. They don't make ultra-clear white glass.
They make pretty colours, I suggested in an earlier post that dichroic coatings on a glass facade would look awesome.

you had suggested "dichronic" ....which doesn't really exist, I made a joke about it, which apparently flew over your head.

I suspect you don't understand what dichroic coatings do. They don't make ultra-clear white glass.
They make pretty colours, I suggested in an earlier post that dichroic coatings on a glass facade would look awesome.

you had suggested "dichronic" ....which doesn't really exist, I made a joke about it, which apparently flew over your head.

I meant is using ultra-clear white glass AND dichroic glass as accent. Not connecting the dots is another issue entirely. As to "dichronic" - it's a consistent typo of mine, and sorry your subtle joke flew over my head completely.

As to the physics of the coating, well, we can get into interference by nanometer scaled layer another time.

AoD

Last edited:
Looks like a phone number and email address have been added to the website: http://onebloorwest.com/

There's now a video as well.

Edit: Nvm, seems steveve spotted it earlier. Still, I think I'll be checking the website for any nuggets I can find.

There's a lot of good stuff going up in Toronto too, it's just that i don't know that it registers as 'romantic'. Certainly it doesn't for me. There's warmth, texture and detailing in the natural materials used in NYC and Chicago - and in older areas of Toronto for that matter - that glass and spandrel just don't have. Anyway, i only suggest that this why some feel the city is lacking for colour in its new architecture.

The biggest failing here is the overuse of window wall although some architects have managed to make it look pretty good.

I appreciate traditionally used materials as much as the modern ones in use today. I feel it's only appropriate that today's use of glass on ever taller towers has a colour palette representative of the sky rather than the rich ground below. To get the full effect of non conventional coloured glass without impeding on the interior living space would require a mirrored look which, surprisingly, I'm not completely turned off by as I once was.

There are some amazing rich composite materials that, unfortunately, just don't have the price point for most budgets. Maybe one day...

Last edited:
As to the physics of the coating, well, we can get into interference by nanometer scaled layer another time.

No need to, I understand the physics very well.....didn't ask ;)

I don't know if this has been seen elsewhere but here is some text that could be found hidden in the page source that looks like it would be used for a register form:

Residential

When you’re in the heart of midtown Toronto, steps away from flagship stores for high-end global brands, popular restaurants and cultural venues, the next best thing to being part of its street energy is being able to rise above it with the press of a button. You can leave it all behind and live in the serenity of the clouds in your own custom-designed sanctuary. Mizrahi Developments is a boutique firm, renowned for its passion for craftsmanship and details, those you can see and those you can’t, which create a soundproof retreat from the world, one that offers a sense of well-being and beauty. The views from here, stretching out to Lake Ontario, are unprecedented. THE ONE will be designed by Foster + Partners, one of the most innovative architectural firms in the world today, making it a memorable part of Toronto, a city that knows how to live.

Retail

This is Canada’s leading luxury marketplace, located in the busiest pedestrian and subway intersection in Toronto. With a combined total of 401, 250 subway riders per day, a 24-hour pedestrian volume of 51, 392 and a 24-hour vehicle volume of 31, 600, Yonge and Bloor is a shopping destination for people from across the city. Not only that, close to 30,000 people in high-income households live in an 800-meter radius. The site gives Mizrahi Developments maximum flexibility for the creation of a truly iconic structure with mixed-use components that will meet the demand for retail in this important neighbourhood where the vacancy rate is the lowest in the city. With underground access to Toronto’s main east-west and north-south subway lines, THE ONE will have multiple storeys of light-filled retail and commercial spaces - “jewel boxes” with walls of glass that are uninterrupted by supporting columns.

THE ONE will have multiple storeys of light-filled retail and commercial spaces - “jewel boxes” with walls of glass that are uninterrupted by supporting columns.

Great find coldblood, concerning this specific design information concerning The One.

This is probably getting annoying by now, by the website has been tweaked yet again with an official '416' style phone number and below that theonecondos.com (which I typed and leads to nowhere). I don't even know if they've registered that domain yet.

Back