News   Oct 11, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 3K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 681     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

Lowering development fees / restructuring municipal finances
  • they say only possible if they are alternate revenue streams for cities besides fees, development charges and property taxes for all municipal funding
    • some ideas they float are: getting a portion of HST generated in city back, putting road infrastructure fees on cars instead of housing
  • Ontario Home Builders advisor says of $1.3 million avg house 500k is in government fees (taxes, charges, fees, etc.). Moffat mentions development charges have increased from 5k to 100k in 20 years.
I am partial to just funding development out of the property tax base. But if that is politically difficult, I could see having municipalities finance those development charges and amortizing them over 15-25 years as a surcharge to property taxes on the new units.

I've been meaning to do a write-up on the midrise design guideline changes, as proposed to the last meeting of the Design Review Panel.

I'm still a bit pressed for time, but I'm going to bring a few of the slides forward, and provide a link to the recording.

1728494426079.png

1728494476053.png

1728494519924.png

1728494565734.png

1728494642814.png

1728494744397.png

1728494791303.png

* I need to add a note to the above, while I favour a wider, more streetscaped condition for development, we need to be mindful that the above does impact development viability, whereas many main street sites currently have only ~2M sidewalks, you now need to remove 4M from the lot depth to transfer that to the City. This a substantial issue on shallower sites. I'm not arguing against this as such, though a 6M minimum is quite beefy for some extant conditions. I think this may merit further discussion.

1728495020157.png

1728495080104.png

* Let me pop in here and say that while I broadly support the slide above.........what's missing is a clear discussion of the need for additional rear laneways in blocks where none exist today. That is not necessarily the way we need to treat every street or block, but it is a crucial part of the ability to consolidate loading/servicing/parking in many contexts.

Link to recording, with any luck, right at the beginning of the above presentation, which is timestamped 1:53

I've been meaning to do a write-up on the midrise design guideline changes, as proposed to the last meeting of the Design Review Panel.

I'm still a bit pressed for time, but I'm going to bring a few of the slides forward, and provide a link to the recording.

View attachment 602849

View attachment 602850

View attachment 602852

View attachment 602853

View attachment 602854

View attachment 602855

View attachment 602856
* I need to add a note to the above, while I favour a wider, more streetscaped condition for development, we need to be mindful that the above does impact development viability, whereas many main street sites currently have only ~2M sidewalks, you now need to remove 4M from the lot depth to transfer that to the City. This a substantial issue on shallower sites. I'm not arguing against this as such, though a 6M minimum is quite beefy for some extant conditions. I think this may merit further discussion.

View attachment 602857

View attachment 602858

* Let me pop in here and say that while I broadly support the slide above.........what's missing is a clear discussion of the need for additional rear laneways in blocks where none exist today. That is not necessarily the way we need to treat every street or block, but it is a crucial part of the ability to consolidate loading/servicing/parking in many contexts.

Link to recording, with any luck, right at the beginning of the above presentation, which is timestamped 1:53

Completely agree with your * paragraph, and so should every cyclist and pedestrian.

Back