News   Oct 03, 2024
 214     0 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 258     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 5.5K     1 

Highway 401 Transit and Auto Tunnel

Buying the 407 back is just as big of a waste of money that could be invested in a ton of transit.

Buying back the 407 when the same party decided to sell it to the private sector for a pittance is just peak poor public policy x2.

As to just covering the tolls for trucks - it's not as unpalatable and there is some merit to it, but again, why should the taxpayers subsidize this policy choice? I would be asking the government this question when I can't even find a family doctor?

AoD

I know the politics would make it a non-starter, but wouldn't an alternate policy of tolling trucks on the 401 produce the same shift of truck traffic to the 407 while generating revenue for the government, rather than costing it?

And also it would put in place the infrastructure for another government to eventually toll car traffic at some time in the future.

I know the politics would make it a non-starter, but wouldn't an alternate policy of tolling trucks on the 401 produce the same shift of truck traffic to the 407 while generating revenue for the government, rather than costing it?

And also it would put in place the infrastructure for another government to eventually toll car traffic at some time in the future.
Yes.

It would also stifle economic activity as it would create a significant cost burden for any logistics companies locating in the GTA. 407 Tolls for trucks right now are over $2 a kilometre. There is a reason trucks do not use the highway.

Trucks on the road are the thing we want economically. It's the people driving to work alone that we want to try to minimize.

Buying back the 407 when the same party decided to sell it to the private sector for a pittance is just peak poor public policy x2.

AoD
This is pretty much the long and short of it. The only people I see actually suggesting a buyback are Liberals on r/Ontario who exclusivey share reactionary stances on everything. Sorry anyone who actually frequents the sub!

It is common knowledge now that the sale of the 407 was a mistake, but that was because of the revenue (and future revenues) it has generated- you’d have to pay much more than 10x the original cost- likely 20x or more. It’s not worth it….

…Especially when you have the transit right of way along it anyway. Shifting the public’s attention to the 407 would be a good way to get people to warm up to the transitway concepts that’ve been floating around. And, it has all the hallmarks of a Ford project- big, cost effective, serves to relieve highways/the 905, and would run through countless development hotspots.

I don’t think we’ll know for sure that this is “a thing” till Metrolinx’s new RTP to 2051, but that is due soon. It’s also supposed to account for the ‘interregional line’ as it’s being called, so let’s wait and see. The corridor would relieve the 401, that’s for sure.

…Especially when you have the transit right of way along it anyway. Shifting the public’s attention to the 407 would be a good way to get people to warm up to the transitway concepts that’ve been floating around. And, it has all the hallmarks of a Ford project- big, cost effective, serves to relieve highways/the 905, and would run through countless development hotspots.

You do realize that same premier is currently committing government resources to study an umpteen billion project that doesn't even merit any look right?

AoD

Reactions: PL1
Yes.

It would also stifle economic activity as it would create a significant cost burden for any logistics companies locating in the GTA. 407 Tolls for trucks right now are over $2 a kilometre. There is a reason trucks do not use the highway.

Trucks on the road are the thing we want economically. It's the people driving to work alone that we want to try to minimize.
There's already a high cost to truck traffic on highways in terms of repairs and maintenance that is carried by all Ontarians. Moving to a user-pays model would increase the cost of logistics, but it would also mean that those increased costs would be born by the users of the goods.

As I said, I understand why this is a political non-starter, but I'm unsure why it would be economically inefficient to internalize an externality.

I suspect it wouldn't make a huge difference but perhaps forcing/incentivizing people to buy/use smaller vehicles? SUVs and pick-ups take up a lot more physical space on the road than cars.

I wonder if that would be a way (longer term) to get more capacity out of the roads...

I suspect it wouldn't make a huge difference but perhaps forcing/incentivizing people to buy/use smaller vehicles? SUVs and pick-ups take up a lot more physical space on the road than cars.

I wonder if that would be a way (longer term) to get more capacity out of the roads...
It is a good idea in the reality where some jurisdictions may slap fees on EV's due to their claims that their weight is causing more wear on roads.
In fairness they should also penalize heavy SUVs and pickup trucks.

Not sure if that would result in more capacity, it would be the same number of vehicles moving through a particular area.

Back