News   Oct 03, 2024
 221     0 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 259     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 5.5K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

For clarity, today's motion is non-binding on the government.

They don't even have to confer the royal recommendation for the bill in question.

So they've all punted for a few days/weeks.

What the Liberals need, assuming they don't want an early election, is a variation of the bill the NDP can buy into.

That would mean voting for the increase on the GIS side; but on the OAS side, either stripping it out, or, better, financing it entirely by clawing OAS back from higher income earners.

If they moved the phase out from ~$145,000 or so to $100,000 or something like that, and it should cover it.
I thought I read somewhere that this would be a massive expense to our already high deficit, if I'm wrong please correct me.

I thought I read somewhere that this would be a massive expense to our already high deficit, if I'm wrong please correct me.

Its 16B over 5 years, which presumably works out to something like 3.2B per annum.

This is why I am suggesting paying for the OAS portion through moving the income phase out to a lower threshold.

If you could cut that number down to say ~1B per year, net, all of that clearly supporting low-income seniors, it becomes much more reasonable.

Last edited:

Back