News   Sep 26, 2024
 769     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 834     0 

Dundas West/ Bloor Mobility Hub +interconnected hub network (Metrolinx)

Seems rather absurd - but that's Metrostinx for you.

Though I'd have thought the biggest usage would be people entering the subway from the east, rather than walking all the way to Dundas.
As I live 20 seconds to the east from here I can safely chime in. Surprisingly I would say that those using UPX are evenly split between airport users and those, like myself, that use it like a new subway line. This latter group will keep increasing as the Eglinton stop opens and development continues. As far as whether most people transfer east or west I don’t know but do know that a lot of riders are coming to this specific area as it is rapidly developing.

If you were coming from say Islington or Royal York and were willing to pay an extra fare for a faster trip downtown, would it save you time to get out of the subway at Dundas W, walk to the UP platform and take that downtown?

If you were coming from say Islington or Royal York and were willing to pay an extra fare for a faster trip downtown, would it save you time to get out of the subway at Dundas W, walk to the UP platform and take that downtown?
yes! It's remarkable - 6min to Union station, and you can time it because it's on the 15mins by the clock.

The UP Express train is scheduled at 8 minutes to Union, the subway at 19 minutes. Switching trains at St. George is like 1 min at most, so 20 min total. Assuming the walk from the subway to UP Express is 3 minutes, the shortest time to get to Union via changing to UP Express is 11 minutes, the longest is 26 minutes (just missed a train and have to wait 15 minutes). On the subway the shortest time is 20 minutes, the longest is also 26 minutes (assuming maximum 6 minutes between Line 1 trains).

Also, it's possible the transfer with the new connection will be shorter than 3 minutes, so the times for UP Express might be less.

The two also arrive at different locations at Union Station, so the walk to your final destination will also make a difference.

Essentially, for certain trips it maybe be faster on average to take UP Express, not sure if it would be worth the cost.

Now once Kitchener GO line is more frequent, and if the fare integration stays the same, then the extra cost would only be $0.40. Though the Kitchener GO is currently scheduled at 12 minutes to get to Union, so that changes the calculation a bit.

So no clear winner IMHO.

Last edited:
Is think in the long term, once there is GO service every 5 to 10 minutes a peak (I assume thatthe express trains will continue to stop at Bloor)

Don’t know! People who seem to use it are often going to areas adjacent to the UPX stations like me. When Eglinton opens it will have a direct connection so it will be an option for those on the Eglinton line. The other thing is that there are also frequent GO trains which you can just as easily catch. Between UPX and GO there is basically something every 10 minutes.

On a bit of a separate note I personally get utility from UPX as there are so many options now at Union that it makes it a really convenient meeting point!

Used it today, love it! Union to Bloor. Dundas West toward Kipling. Home in half an hour. ~$8.30. Although a little later and could have Go trained it straight to Kipling. Gosh I wish we had frequent 15 minute all day service on the Milton Line, would take a tonne of strain off line 2 I think and bunch of happy commuters.

Whatever time savings you get from taking the GO or UP at Bloor versus taking the subway will to be chipped away to "0" at the rate their adding stops to the Kitchener line in Toronto.

Back