News   Sep 26, 2024
 775     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 843     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Not sure this section will be demolished. Possible used for the Sheppard subway extension. Glad to see the busway finally getting under way, too much time wasted
While there is a possibility that the ROW will be used for the Sheppard Subway, I highly doubt the existing guideway would be able to support it. It would most certainly have to have the guideway removed and rebuilt to something that would support TRs, as well as with 150m long stations in mind. Failing that though, it would be cool to see the ROW used for some sort of future York Mills LRT (to eventually replace the DSBRT), but I have no faith in the city's ability to maintain the ROW and not build over it.

Nope.

It isn't wide

While there is a possibility that the ROW will be used for the Sheppard Subway, I highly doubt the existing guideway would be able to support it. It would most certainly have to have the guideway removed and rebuilt to something that would support TRs, as well as with 150m long stations in mind. Failing that though, it would be cool to see the ROW used for some sort of future York Mills LRT (to eventually replace the DSBRT), but I have no faith in the city's ability to maintain the ROW and not build over it.
The guideway would have to be updated to accommodate trains. Hopefully we can figure out a way to utilize the existing bridges over Midland, Brimley and McCowan and preserve this ROW through industrial land to minimize future costs.

The guideway would have to be updated to accommodate trains. Hopefully we can figure out a way to utilize the existing bridges over Midland, Brimley and McCowan and preserve this ROW through industrial land to minimize future costs.

The guidesay was designed for Mark 1 trains.

You can't widen it without first tearing it down to rebuild it.

Not sure about that. I’m not an engineer but I have seen many bridges widened off of existing supports when being rebuilt

Not sure about that. I’m not an engineer but I have seen many bridges widened off of existing supports when being rebuilt
A new deck on existing supports is physically possible, but the precedent in Vancouver is that UTDC designs from the Mk1 era don’t have a whole lot of spare strength for larger trains. Recall that Terminal Ave had to be strengthened just for Mo IIs (although this was also partially a seismic retrofit iirc)

Last edited:
On a side note, they have been constructing an intervention headwall on the southside of McCowan and 401. Does that mean the TBM ran into problems under the 401?
Metrolinx has informed me they are now south of the 401 stopped for maintenance. They would not commit to indicating if this delays the entire tunneling (which I assume is now by several months).

Back