News   Sep 26, 2024
 778     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 845     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Once again. Let’s get back to the actual topic and discuss the actual infrastructure that exists or is planned.
Respectfully disagree, because soon there won't be any planned bike lanes. The law as rumored will kill any bike lanes from being built. straight up. or hell possibly ripping up existing ones who knows.

The discussion is very on-topic and needed because of that incoming law.

Once again. Let’s get back to the actual topic and discuss the actual infrastructure that exists or is planned.
I don't really see how policy banning Cycling Infrastructure isn't on topic for a thread titled... "Cycling Infrastructure".

I looked at post #1 of this thread and don't see a defined topic scope.

Respectfully disagree, because soon there won't be any planned bike lanes. The law as rumored will kill any bike lanes from being built. straight up. or hell possibly ripping up existing ones who knows.

The discussion is very on-topic and needed because of that incoming law.
This thread is for separated infrastructure that does exist or is planned. The rumours etc should be discussed in the general cycling issues thread as current posts are getting into much broader discussions. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/general-cycling-issues-is-toronto-bike-friendly.4842/

Yeah, the spread of bike lanes has allowed me to do stuff by bike with my kid. Biking alone, I'm happy to take a lane with traffic (and yes, this rhetoric does increase the risk that doing that induces road rage among drivers, even if what you're doing is the safest option and perfectly legal). But with my son on the bike seat, I'm not doing that. If there aren't bike lanes for most of the way, I'm driving if there's no good transit option.

The bike lanes that have been installed have hugely increased the number of people biking, the demographics of people biking, and the safety of everyone. All without having any material impact on driving times. Anyone who wants to reduce congestion can probably focus on dozens of things that would be more productive than stopping the designation of new bike lanes.
I'm in the same boat. When I moved into the Danforth neighbourhood, the bike lanes made trips safer and more appealing. Then having kids, I enjoy piling them in the bike trailer to go to school, get groceries, do ballet drop-offs, and adventure in the Don Valley. Using the Bayview lanes to get to the YMCA in Canary District is great. The lane on Danforth to Bloor and across is exceptional for trips into the city center with the kids. I use Adelaide and Richmond often since I work in the east end and can get across the city fast that way to meetings. Going south, Sherbourne is great. I am extremely excited to see the addition of the cycle track on the Eastern Avenue bridge. It's an extremely dangerous crossing by bike and it will make me more confident with the kids in tow getting from the east side to the city center. It's also a spot where there are speed traps on both sides of the bridge constantly, as drivers utilize the environment of 4-6 lanes to accelerate before taking the on ramp, or trying to make a light at Broadview. I'm very excited for the Logan Ave lanes-Broadview-Hopedale-Millwood so we can have another safe bike connection across the Don Valley.

I still drive often, but every time I use my bike I view it as removing one car from that day's traffic and hence helping with car congestion. Additionally, because I can access local groceries and shops, I order less online and hopefully remove some of the delivery drive car traffic from roads as well.

I wouldn't say I've always felt this way, but certainly, after having kids I began noticing how hard it is for them to get around safely with so many cars everywhere, parked or driving. The environment created with car lanes is very nerve-racking for a parent. We often don't consider the ability of young people to get around their city or town on their own. Bike lanes are great not just for that, but for learning to bike in a safe environment.

Back to infrastructure, the painted lines are in on Broadview from Cosborn to Hopedale. I had thought they were supposed to be protected not just painted. Interestingly, this project does take away a lane, but technically it was mostly street parking, so hard to say.
Broadview 1.jpg
Broadview 2.jpg
Broadview 3.jpg
Broadview 4.jpg
Broadview 5.jpg

I'm in the same boat. When I moved into the Danforth neighbourhood, the bike lanes made trips safer and more appealing. Then having kids, I enjoy piling them in the bike trailer to go to school, get groceries, do ballet drop-offs, and adventure in the Don Valley. Using the Bayview lanes to get to the YMCA in Canary District is great. The lane on Danforth to Bloor and across is exceptional for trips into the city center with the kids. I use Adelaide and Richmond often since I work in the east end and can get across the city fast that way to meetings. Going south, Sherbourne is great. I am extremely excited to see the addition of the cycle track on the Eastern Avenue bridge. It's an extremely dangerous crossing by bike and it will make me more confident with the kids in tow getting from the east side to the city center. It's also a spot where there are speed traps on both sides of the bridge constantly, as drivers utilize the environment of 4-6 lanes to accelerate before taking the on ramp, or trying to make a light at Broadview. I'm very excited for the Logan Ave lanes-Broadview-Hopedale-Millwood so we can have another safe bike connection across the Don Valley.

I still drive often, but every time I use my bike I view it as removing one car from that day's traffic and hence helping with car congestion. Additionally, because I can access local groceries and shops, I order less online and hopefully remove some of the delivery drive car traffic from roads as well.

I wouldn't say I've always felt this way, but certainly, after having kids I began noticing how hard it is for them to get around safely with so many cars everywhere, parked or driving. The environment created with car lanes is very nerve-racking for a parent. We often don't consider the ability of young people to get around their city or town on their own. Bike lanes are great not just for that, but for learning to bike in a safe environment.

Back to infrastructure, the painted lines are in on Broadview from Cosborn to Hopedale. I had thought they were supposed to be protected not just painted. Interestingly, this project does take away a lane, but technically it was mostly street parking, so hard to say. View attachment 598861View attachment 598862View attachment 598863View attachment 598864View attachment 598865
It's possible they will come around later and install those precast curbs with the floppy plastic markers on top.

Back to infrastructure, the painted lines are in on Broadview from Cosborn to Hopedale. I had thought they were supposed to be protected not just painted. Interestingly, this project does take away a lane, but technically it was mostly street parking, so hard to say. View attachment 598861View attachment 598862View attachment 598863View attachment 598864View attachment 598865

As suggested by @bearcat ; they aren't done, the paint goes in first, more to come.

Back to the Millwood/Pape/Donlands intersection. Most of the construction/painting there seems done, though there is still only one car lane SB. However, they have widened the bike lanes on the bridge itself, at the cost of one of the 3 NB lanes (which were never busy). Painted infrastructure for now, hopefully concrete dividers soon? (Pylons still present. I seem to recall there may be bidirectional cycle tracks here, not sure if that's still on).
NB:
1000023589.jpg

SB:
1000023590.jpg

Painted elevated lane at a bus stop on Donlands:
1000023594.jpg

...and looking East:
1000023595.jpg

some work on Tecumseth a bit south of King - maybe this will be space for Bike Share?

the northbound side still has car parking instead of a cycle track/bike lane/anything unfortunately

View attachment 599107
naw thats the permanent planters. Theres a bike share on the corner of king and tecumseth not even 100m away

PXL_20240926_222136110.jpg
PXL_20240926_222113088.jpg
PXL_20240926_222053392.jpg
PXL_20240926_221950370.jpg
PXL_20240926_222009732.jpg

The road surface and the bike lane markings including the white lane markers and the green paint are in very rough shape on Blue Jays Way from Wellington to just south of Front. Especially where the bike lane moves from the curb to between a right turn lane and the straight through lane. There are cars probably at least partly accidentally trying to drive straight through on the southbound bike lane. I just filed a complaint with 311. In general, is there any other way to get attention brought to this?

Is this stretch of road due for repavement at some point soon? I don't see anything on T.O.INview.

Also is there a plan to add bike lanes on Blue Jays Way (or is it Peter there) between King and Wellington? That section randomly has no bike lanes and two car lanes per direction.

Last edited:
The road surface and the bike lane markings including the white lane markers and the green paint are in very rough shape on Blue Jays Way from Wellington to just south of Front. Especially where the bike lane moves from the curb to between a right turn lane and the straight through lane. There are cars probably at least partly accidentally trying to drive straight through on the southbound bike lane. I just filed a complaint with 311. In general, is there any other way to get attention brought to this?

Raise it with the area Councillor.

Specifically, here's what you need to ask for.

You want the pavement inspected and milled. (that means they grind off the top layer and lay a thin new, more level coat on top) that should automatically trigger a refresh of all the markings, but no harm in mentioned the need for same.

Is this stretch of road due for repavement at some point soon? I don't see anything on T.O.INview.

You wouldn't.....Blue Jays way, north of Front is scheduled for reconstruction and full cycle tracks, in 2030.

You could ask for that work to be advanced; but with all the other work going on, and the World Cup in 2026, I can't seem them advancing a major project to sooner than 2027. But ya never know.

I don't know if the design is ready, normally it wouldn't be that far out; but Peter/Blue Jays way has been deferred so many times there might be a plan done.

There is currently no work programmed on Blue Jays way south of Front.

Also is there a plan to add bike lanes on Blue Jays Way (or is it Peter there) between King and Wellington? That section randomly has no bike lanes and two car lanes per direction.

Yes, see above, in 2030.

Back