Toronto Cloverdale Mall Redevelopment | 156.9m | 48s | QuadReal | Giannone Petricone

IMG_2908.JPG

I'm not surprised, it sold average stuff for above average prices.
Any idea who can replace it ?
My Money is on no one. Or… if they start in the North end of the mall; they may move tenants from
There down to the Kitchen Stuff opening. I bet they could fit 3 or 4 stores in there.

Plus the bakery never came back after Covid. So something could occupy that spot as well.

I've been going through the documents in more detail for this proposal and here are some of my findings regarding the residential, retail, and community spaces.

Cloverdale Mall's existing retail gross floor area (GFA) is 35,188 sq metres.
During the first submission in 2020, the proposed GFA are as follows:
4,046 residential units
2,043 m2 of community space
25,337 m2 of retail space

During the current submission in 2023
5,268 residential units
2,184 m2 of community space
17,185 m2 of retail space

The retail is anchored around what is described in their document as the Retail Main Street (Public Street 3) shown below:
1727223966069.png

While I appreciate the amount of retail that is being retained, I can't help but notice that fact that with each iteration of this proposal, the number of residential units keeps increasing while the amount of retail space keeps decreasing. Furthermore, most of the retail is only being built in Phases 3 and 4 of the project so for a good amount of time the residents of this proposal and the surrounding areas have to contend with not having retail with walking or biking distances.

Further exacerbating the issue, if the 2-10 East Mall Crescent proposal is anything to go by, this proposal with also reduce the number of parking spots to the minimum required by the city for new buildings near rapid transit. Which means that many of the folks living in this new development will not have the luxury of having a car.

The city needs to start mandating that major retail space needs to be provided from the first phase onwards so as to not put the first residents of the new development from having access to retail for a good long time after their occupancy starts.

One last point I wanted to make is that I really do not like the "Private Streets" in the peripheral of this proposal.

I've been going through the documents in more detail for this proposal and here are some of my findings regarding the residential, retail, and community spaces.

Cloverdale Mall's existing retail gross floor area (GFA) is 35,188 sq metres.
During the first submission in 2020, the proposed GFA are as follows:
4,046 residential units
2,043 m2 of community space
25,337 m2 of retail space

During the current submission in 2023
5,268 residential units
2,184 m2 of community space
17,185 m2 of retail space

The retail is anchored around what is described in their document as the Retail Main Street (Public Street 3) shown below:
View attachment 598684

While I appreciate the amount of retail that is being retained, I can't help but notice that fact that with each iteration of this proposal, the number of residential units keeps increasing while the amount of retail space keeps decreasing. Furthermore, most of the retail is only being built in Phases 3 and 4 of the project so for a good amount of time the residents of this proposal and the surrounding areas have to contend with not having retail with walking or biking distances.

Further exacerbating the issue, if the 2-10 East Mall Crescent proposal is anything to go by, this proposal with also reduce the number of parking spots to the minimum required by the city for new buildings near rapid transit. Which means that many of the folks living in this new development will not have the luxury of having a car.

The city needs to start mandating that major retail space needs to be provided from the first phase onwards so as to not put the first residents of the new development from having access to retail for a good long time after their occupancy starts.

One last point I wanted to make is that I really do not like the "Private Streets" in the peripheral of this proposal.
I highly disagree with the cities guidelines for parking spots. Far too many newer developments have cars parked all along the side streets. This dream of everyone "just taking transit" doesn't really pan out when you consider where people would want to go. Believe it or not; not everyone wants to be funnelled downtown.

^The developer would build parking if there is demand for it but there isn’t as much demand at the price required to provide them.

^The developer would build parking if there is demand for it but there isn’t as much demand at the price required to provide them.
I don't buy that. I know they're going to do the bare minnium required for them. Like I said; I've seen more than enough places with cars lining the streets where theres not enough on underground parking.

I don't buy that. I know they're going to do the bare minnium required for them. Like I said; I've seen more than enough places with cars lining the streets where theres not enough on underground parking.
Those purchasers opted to buy a unit without parking and take their chances elsewhere. It is the market. I have been in the same situation. These units are near a subway/GO station which do command a higher price and there is some parking for those that want it.

Last edited:
Those purchasers opted to buy a unit without parking and take their chances elsewhere. It is the market. I have been in the same situation. These units are near a subway/GO station which do command a higher price and there is some parking for those that want it.
Well; I guess we will see. I'd imagine the retail will demand paid parking too?

Back