Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I have not said that. Where did I say that. I said that you shouldn't have to fight Metrolinx to get a fair first offer.

I've also said that you shouldn't have to flush a toilet 3 times to get the crap to go down the pipe. That doesn't however mean that I've personally had that problem. There are those though that claim they've had that issue - perhaps you should be asking that question.

Can you explain what this "receipt" you want someone to show you is..?

Can you point to what there you just quoted is a claim.

Can I link you to a good dictionary? Or a website to enhance your English skills?
my god man, why does it have to be this difficult. Stop being so patronizing too its weird.

Are you really nitpicking the word "never"? Seriously?
Fine ill rephrase. Where is the proof (receipts) that Metrolinx has given unfair first offers?
Proof would be the actual physical letters Metrolinx sends you to advise you what the appraiser said your home was worth, compare that to the secondary appraiser the person that is getting expropriated then got. If the difference is like 10% yea there is a problem, but no one has ever shown this to be true

I stand by the fact that they have to by law give fair market value. Now it's on you to disprove that.

And now who's being patronizing.

Also, "receipt" is not a synonym for proof. Merriam Webster Link

I think what you fail to understand is that you have just as much requirement to provide "receipt" or proof that Metrolinx has given fair first offers.

You'll see that there are articles upon articles that highlight the shady dealings that Metrolinx has when it comes to expropriations and the supposed help they give for compensation and relocation. General consensus is not enough money offered and no communication after the initial offer.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10544972/toronto-woman-home-expropriated-ontario-line-construction/
https://www.toronto.com/news/we-can...le_629fae2b-40b9-5abb-a414-b2a96138b3f5.html?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...metrolinx-plan-to-expropriate-homes-1.7299661
https://www.blogto.com/city/2024/08/toronto-business-owner-calls-out-metrolinx/
https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/08/scarborough-subway-extension/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...usiness-owners-struggling-metrolinx-1.7099188
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/like-a-j...to-forced-to-close-for-ontario-line-1.6529858

Though, even with all this information, I wouldn't be very optimistic to make you see the other side. Can't expect too much from someone who's flair is:
1727228373529.png

Minimum requirement from Metrolinx would be to offer the fair market value of the house plus a 10-20% inconvenience increase. Plus the cost of relocation including realtor fees, lawyer fees, travel costs of searching for the new property, etc. As it can be made abundantly clear from the articles above, Metrolinx has not been doing this. Hence, unfair first offer, wouldn't you say?

And now who's being patronizing.

Also, "receipt" is not a synonym for proof. Merriam Webster Link

I think what you fail to understand is that you have just as much requirement to provide "receipt" or proof that Metrolinx has given fair first offers.

You'll see that there are articles upon articles that highlight the shady dealings that Metrolinx has when it comes to expropriations and the supposed help they give for compensation and relocation. General consensus is not enough money offered and no communication after the initial offer.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10544972/toronto-woman-home-expropriated-ontario-line-construction/
https://www.toronto.com/news/we-can...le_629fae2b-40b9-5abb-a414-b2a96138b3f5.html?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...metrolinx-plan-to-expropriate-homes-1.7299661
https://www.blogto.com/city/2024/08/toronto-business-owner-calls-out-metrolinx/
https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/08/scarborough-subway-extension/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...usiness-owners-struggling-metrolinx-1.7099188
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/like-a-j...to-forced-to-close-for-ontario-line-1.6529858

Though, even with all this information, I wouldn't be very optimistic to make you see the other side. Can't expect too much from someone who's flair is:
View attachment 598686

Minimum requirement from Metrolinx would be to offer the fair market value of the house plus a 10-20% inconvenience increase. Plus the cost of relocation including realtor fees, lawyer fees, travel costs of searching for the new property, etc. As it can be made abundantly clear from the articles above, Metrolinx has not been doing this. Hence, unfair first offer, wouldn't you say?
LOL https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/receipts/
ANNNYWAY, enough of semantics.
Finally good actual discussion.

I'm no monster, While I sympathize with having to move especially as a 90-year-old, or your business that's existed for 30+ years it's no excuse to ignore the law and make stuff up. Unlike some people Ill actually read your comment in its entirety.

Lets drill down article by article

1. This one is just weird, the reporting doesn't have the full story and intentionally leaves things out. I recommend reading more about this in the discussion threads from June 40 pages back in this very same thread. The daughter got her appraiser and Metrolinx obviously disagreed, note the big difference in square footage, on a lot that small it raises questions about the validity of it. Remember what I said about receipts? Where is her Appraisal? Why does Global only have Metrolinx's appraisers in the article. Feels a bit 1-sided don't you think?

2. If your only response to this is "MX is extorting them" then you haven't paid attention to the property market in the last 2 years. Again, where are his appraisers? Also note later in the article he accepted the 3rd offer

Virk said he had his property appraised for $12.4 million last year. A year ago, Metrolinx sent him another appraisal: $9 million. Then they offered $6.4 million.

3. Wait what does this prove? This one isn't even about market value at all, just residents pissed that they're being expropriated flat out.

4. This one is literally blogto trash. A picture probably from reddit with 0 context behind it, with the owner seemingly just complaining about MX. Nothing about market appraisals at all.

5. Is this a leased business? or an owned business, not really clear. In any case check this out

Finding another space in the area proved to be a challenge, with Metrolinx providing alternative options outside of Scarborough, far from where the clinic's customers are based.

So Metrolinx offers to give you a fully paid for move, but you're like "nuh uh I want this one specifically" even though getting it will cost $200,000 in renovations? Naw I'm not sympathetic to that. Metrolinx even offered to give them the money, but they had to sign on the dotted line to be out by a specific date? Good for you, brand spankin new business all paid for.... wait you're not signing? WTF

6. There really much detail here, it derails into a completely separate topic entirely. The only thing I will note, is that he is a business renter, and that MX probably has provided him a location to move his business as he questions his customers now driving to him.

7. This one's probably the most valid criticism here. Metrolinx is paying only for the business frontage and not the apartments above it? Somethings weird, there has to be more to the story. Still wouldn't call that offer not fair market value.

There's a big difference between disputing the appraisal value and disputing what exactly they're appraising. This is complicated law but that's what the court OLT is for. Someone has to be right, and someone has to be wrong.

That flair is completely satirical due to the amount of people who constantly think I'm a paid Therme and MX shill. God, I wish I was lol.

Now all that said: lets go over your last point and disprove it, remember, most expropriation is private and confidential

The law does not say they *need* to offer an inconvenience fee. Metrolinx is under no obligation to do so, though in some cases they offer extra cash for signing an agreement amicably. See this article:

In 2023, Metrolinx referred to a Colliers appraisal report that valued the property at $1.59 million “and that is what Metrolinx is offering, plus an incentive payment of $10,000.00 if Maria signs the Agreement of Purchase and Sale within 30 days.”

By Law, Metrolinx owes almost exclusively for an appraiser. I dont think they owe for lawyers fees or realtor fees. I could be wrong though.
They definitely do owe travel costs and apperently build-out costs too as definitely discussed in the articles above.

TLDR: Look, if your point is that Metrolinx isn't going above and beyond, therefore not giving fair offers, I don't know what to tell you. Thats not how this works, the law is the law.

LOL https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/receipts/
ANNNYWAY, enough of semantics.
Finally good actual discussion.

I'm no monster, While I sympathize with having to move especially as a 90-year-old, or your business that's existed for 30+ years it's no excuse to ignore the law and make stuff up. Unlike some people Ill actually read your comment in its entirety.

Lets drill down article by article

1. This one is just weird, the reporting doesn't have the full story and intentionally leaves things out. I recommend reading more about this in the discussion threads from June 40 pages back in this very same thread. The daughter got her appraiser and Metrolinx obviously disagreed, note the big difference in square footage, on a lot that small it raises questions about the validity of it. Remember what I said about receipts? Where is her Appraisal? Why does Global only have Metrolinx's appraisers in the article. Feels a bit 1-sided don't you think?

2. If your only response to this is "MX is extorting them" then you haven't paid attention to the property market in the last 2 years. Again, where are his appraisers? Also note later in the article he accepted the 3rd offer

3. Wait what does this prove? This one isn't even about market value at all, just residents pissed that they're being expropriated flat out.

4. This one is literally blogto trash. A picture probably from reddit with 0 context behind it, with the owner seemingly just complaining about MX. Nothing about market appraisals at all.

5. Is this a leased business? or an owned business, not really clear. In any case check this out

So Metrolinx offers to give you a fully paid for move, but you're like "nuh uh I want this one specifically" even though getting it will cost $200,000 in renovations? Naw I'm not sympathetic to that. Metrolinx even offered to give them the money, but they had to sign on the dotted line to be out by a specific date? Good for you, brand spankin new business all paid for.... wait you're not signing? WTF

6. There really much detail here, it derails into a completely separate topic entirely. The only thing I will note, is that he is a business renter, and that MX probably has provided him a location to move his business as he questions his customers now driving to him.

7. This one's probably the most valid criticism here. Metrolinx is paying only for the business frontage and not the apartments above it? Somethings weird, there has to be more to the story. Still wouldn't call that offer not fair market value.

There's a big difference between disputing the appraisal value and disputing what exactly they're appraising. This is complicated law but that's what the court OLT is for. Someone has to be right, and someone has to be wrong.

That flair is completely satirical due to the amount of people who constantly think I'm a paid Therme and MX shill. God, I wish I was lol.

Now all that said: lets go over your last point and disprove it, remember, most expropriation is private and confidential

The law does not say they *need* to offer an inconvenience fee. Metrolinx is under no obligation to do so, though in some cases they offer extra cash for signing an agreement amicably. See this article:

By Law, Metrolinx owes almost exclusively for an appraiser. I dont think they owe for lawyers fees or realtor fees. I could be wrong though.
They definitely do owe travel costs and apperently build-out costs too as definitely discussed in the articles above.

TLDR: Look, if your point is that Metrolinx isn't going above and beyond, therefore not giving fair offers, I don't know what to tell you. Thats not how this works, the law is the law.

@generalcanada you've reacted exactly as I thought you would including a condescending slang definition of a word in an otherwise normal English conversation. So I'll politely request you to refrain from using slang and expecting other forum members to look stuff up on urban dictionary or the sort.

You've tried to counter a lot of the articles, ignoring certain items, picking and choosing words to quote, or outright dismissing them because it doesn't fit your narrative. In your assessment itself you've confirmed that the first offers were not fair and hence were not accepted by the affected individuals. You've shown yourself the "receipts"!

Yet, after all this you still haven't provided any proof to support your side of the argument.

I've sworn off having pointless arguments in UT as much as possible so I wish you a good day ahead.

Edit: Removed unnecessary insult and apologies.

Last edited:
@generalcanada you've reacted exactly as I thought you would including a condescending slang definition of a word in an otherwise normal English conversation. So I'll politely request you to refrain from using slang and expecting other forum members to look stuff up on urban dictionary or the sort.
My goodness how rude of us not to curtsy, the King of England himself has been kind enough to join us here on Urban Toronto! My liege do you have any other corrections for our lowly plebian dialect?

I mean, it's fairly inane to use a slang word on a forum made up of people of all generations and backgrounds and expect everyone to know what that slang word means. "Receipts" as slang to mean "proof" is almost exclusively limited to the internet, don't expect anyone not well versed in internet culture to know what that means.

Feel free to use whatever slang you want, but then don't get mad at people who have no idea what you're talking about.

Yet, after all this you still haven't provided any proof to support your side of the argument.

To put it simply, the law is the law. Thats my proof, Here's my source: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90e26
When 3 of your articles are irrelevant, and the rest don't support your argument then it is still on you to disprove the law. You haven't proved that the law hasn't been followed

In your assessment itself you've confirmed that the first offers were not fair and hence were not accepted by the affected individuals. You've shown yourself the "receipts"!

Why are you putting words in my mouth now? I never said the offers weren't fair. Unless you mean the 2 disputes over square footage which is a completely normal thing.

Do you believe those offers weren't fair? I believe they were fair based on the square footage of the property.
Or put it this way, if this went to the OLT, and a judge take MX's side on square footage. Can that first offer be retroactively called "fair"? I believe this will be the case. That is my position.

Can't tell where the progress is. But looks like they're disassembling the crane.

View attachment 598771
The pile caps / pier will go here. Note the new bridge doesn’t quite run parallel with the GO tracks, so the east pier is relatively further from the GO tracks.

DJI_20240925090457_0078_D.jpeg

Can’t speak to the hole / pile closest to the crane base. Possibly to do with the high voltage line being realigned away from the bridge.

Last edited:
I mean, it's fairly inane to use a slang word on a forum made up of people of all generations and backgrounds and expect everyone to know what that slang word means. "Receipts" as slang to mean "proof" is almost exclusively limited to the internet, don't expect anyone not well versed in internet culture to know what that means.
I've been on the Internet for 30 years, and I've never seen it before. I'm very surprised that one would use it and not reword in Canadian English if it's (obviously) causing confusing.

Other internet slang comes to mind. Spam. Trolling ...

I've been on the Internet for 30 years, and I've never seen it before. I'm very surprised that one would use it and not reword in Canadian English if it's (obviously) causing confusing.

Other internet slang comes to mind. Spam. Trolling ...
can we move on?

Back