News   Sep 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 728     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

That's a good question. I have no idea how it got that name. Certainly, it never carried that name before Metrolinx came along. The tracks belonged to the Toronto Harbour Commission with CP and CN having joint access.

- Paul
It had always been called TRHC's Wilson Yard. It seemed like it was for more long-term storage, with Keating Yard being their main hub.

As for the reasoning behind the name, I have no idea why.

Dan

I’m on an errand to Aurora, and looking at the new platform construction at Maple. The bases for what must be future OCS poles are inplace on the platform…..but their placement sure seems bizarre. I’m all for function over beauty, but putting the poles in the middle of the platform will make things look junky when the wires arrive - IMHO anyways.

Looks like there will be crossovers just north of the platform….but one would hope the double track is extended all the way south to Rutherford, enabling ise of both platforms there.

- Paul

IMG_9032.jpeg
IMG_9030.jpeg

No guarantee that GO's eventual EMUs will be double-deckers. They aren't great if the goal is to reduce station dwell times.

RER A works okay with wide mid-level doors: This allows 2 separate streams of passengers doing the stairs simultaneously. They regularly turn over half to 3/4s of the train in ~2 minutes (3:20 operating frequencies).

That said, there's a good chance if it was built today, with modern signalling, they'd try to push frequencies to 110 seconds and stick with single-deck trains.

Last edited:
No guarantee that GO's eventual EMUs will be double-deckers. They aren't great if the goal is to reduce station dwell times.
This is only an argument I'd agree with if we decided to move to High Level Platforms so that we can have more doors per car. As it stands if we're going to have low floor boarding with all of our doors on the bottom floor anyway, the difference isn't as big.

Idk Sydney seems to do a very good job using Bi-Level EMU's. For perspective service levels are apparently every 5 minutes during rush hour and every 10 minutes off-peak and on weekends. Their most heavily used line T1 - Northshore and Western Line moved 41.9 Million riders in 2021/2022. By comparison our most heavily used line the Lake Shore West moved 17 Million riders. (Also as an aside Sydney imo has to have some of the nicest Bi-Level EMU's out there.

Sydney_Trains_A_Set_at_Museum.jpg
Sydney_Trains_A63,_Central_Station,_Sydney.jpg

B_set_departing_Flemington_20181031_(cropped).jpg

Idk Sydney seems to do a very good job using Bi-Level EMU's. For perspective service levels are apparently every 5 minutes during rush hour and every 10 minutes off-peak and on weekends. Their most heavily used line T1 - Northshore and Western Line moved 41.9 Million riders in 2021/2022. By comparison our most heavily used line the Lake Shore West moved 17 Million riders. (Also as an aside Sydney imo has to have some of the nicest Bi-Level EMU's out there.

View attachment 598536View attachment 598537
View attachment 598538
We already had this conversation a page or two back in this thread. If Metrolinx makes the switch to EMU's, what will they do with the 900+ bi-level coaches they have in stock?

EDIT: Page 232-233

We already had this conversation a page or two back in this thread. If Metrolinx makes the switch to EMU's, what will they do with the 900+ bi-level coaches they have in stock?

EDIT: Page 232-233

Yes I know we had this conversation, I was there when it was happening, but that's not what my post is about. All I am doing to is responding to a previous post to say that yes you can operate a frequent service with Bi-Level EMU's and posted an example of a city doing that.

Why is that? They're not limited to 2 doors, they could have 4 or 5 if that's what the operator requests in the design stage.

Moving between floors on a train is markedly safer and more stable than it is on a bus, so it can't be that.

Why is that? They're not limited to 2 doors, they could have 4 or 5 if that's what the operator requests in the design stage.

Moving between floors on a train is markedly safer and more stable than it is on a bus, so it can't be that.
Three would be doable, but four or five doors is a challenge for the floor plate you end up with on any double decker. And even at that the more fundamental issue than doors is internal circulation; increasing the door count might even exacerbate the issue by puttting an even higher percentage of the seating on the upper deck and making the dwell time even more dependent on speed of vertical movement.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law takes this almost every day to go to work. Thinks they are great. He shed a very small tear on the last in-service Gallery train
They've only been in revenue service since Saturday Oct 21 lol

Back