News   Sep 26, 2024
 685     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 748     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

That is an insane idea.

Anything that reduces the carry cost of a home will 100% translate to inflated home prices. This will only benefit existing home owners with a one time windfall gain in values, then creating a powder keg of instability if this were ever unwound, as prices would have to fall dramatically.

Please boomers, have mercy and stop trying to rob the next generation blind!

I don't know if BC's rent control laws are like ours, but it also creates an incentive for evictions so that landlords can get someone in there who will fork over their tax refund to the landlord, rather than someone who is protected by rent control from having to.

And the government needs a certain amount of revenue. Giving people the ability to deduct up to $36k from income will just mean the remaining taxable income will need to be taxed at a higher rate. Absurd.

Does he have an explanation for how to fund such a massive tax cut?

This is going around the internet today...............

View attachment 598349

Wynne did plenty of things wrong, and we could quibble w/o they got to balance.............but..........indicting Carolyn for her comments seems entirely fair.
The PCPO has been brutal for Ontario's finances. Between unnecessary hits to the bottom line with pointless policies that get reversed in the courts that cost money, to stupid policies that strip the treasury of income (see removing renewal fees for license plates). The myth that conservative governments are good for finances needs to die.

The PCPO has been brutal for Ontario's finances. Between unnecessary hits to the bottom line with pointless policies that get reversed in the courts that cost money, to stupid policies that strip the treasury of income (see removing renewal fees for license plates). The myth that conservative governments are good for finances needs to die.

I essentially agree with the above; but i would say, I don't really have a problem with removing plate fees in theory; I simply would have substituted tolls.

My reasoning is that the plate fee is regressive, its the same no matter how much you drive, it also penalizes rich and poor at the same price point, and doesn't distinguish size of vehicle/pollution level either. (within the personal car category)..

Of course, that they dropped the fee without replacing the lost revenue.........which is a real problem and bad fiscal management.

Last edited:
I essentially agree with the above; but i would say, I don't really have a problem with removing plate fees in theory; I simply would have substituted tolls.

My reasoning is that the plate fee is regressive, its the same no matter how much you drive, it also penalizes rich and poor at the same price point, and doesn't distinguish size of vehicle/pollution level either. (within the personal car category)..

Of course, that they dropped the free without replacing the lost revenue.........is a real problem and bad fiscal management.
Or charge a fee based on gross vehicle weight, mileage, and maybe air resistance or frontal cross section (with the idea the trucks and SUVs are deliberately trying to be imposing). Would probably have to be monthly to prevent people conveniently moving to MB or QC every December

Or charge a fee based on gross vehicle weight, mileage, and maybe air resistance or frontal cross section (with the idea the trucks and SUVs are deliberately trying to be imposing). Would probably have to be monthly to prevent people conveniently moving to MB or QC every December

I'm fine w/the above thought, though I do believe in low-hassle government. Necessary regulation and taxation, but simple to understand, wherever possible, and easy to execute/enforce, wherever possible. So the above might need some tweaks in that regard.

The way the Danes would address the above is at point of purchase (pay it once)

1727126368858.png

For reference, 70,200 Danish Kroner is $14,156 CAD

210,600 DKK is $42,468 CAD

Reactions: PL1
Hoo boy. DoFo wants to dig a tunnel to throw cars into for a tunnelled highway under the 401. Seriously.

"Rob-Ferguson
By Rob FergusonQueen’s Park Bureau
Call it Doug’s big dig.

Premier Doug Ford is touting a tunnel under Highway 401, possibly from Brampton all the way to Scarborough, to carry more traffic as GTA roads become increasingly crowded.

“Ontario is growing too fast and we need to do more,” he said Wednesday at Islington and 401 with heavy — but moving — rush-hour traffic on the highway behind him.

Ford said the province will launch a feasibility study to determine more details and costs but insisted “we’re getting the tunnel built.”

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Acknowledging that critics will dismiss the proposal, he said “I know this is an ambitious idea and some people will say it can’t be done.”

The plan is reminiscent of Boston’s controversial “Big Dig” that replaced above-ground highways through downtown with tunnels but ran years last and horrendously over budget.

He would not estimate a cost for the 401 project, which if it is ever built would be one of the largest public infrastructure projects in the world.

More to come."

Hoo boy. DoFo wants to dig a tunnel to throw cars into for a tunnelled highway under the 401. Seriously.

"Rob-Ferguson
By Rob FergusonQueen’s Park Bureau
Call it Doug’s big dig.

Premier Doug Ford is touting a tunnel under Highway 401, possibly from Brampton all the way to Scarborough, to carry more traffic as GTA roads become increasingly crowded.

“Ontario is growing too fast and we need to do more,” he said Wednesday at Islington and 401 with heavy — but moving — rush-hour traffic on the highway behind him.

Ford said the province will launch a feasibility study to determine more details and costs but insisted “we’re getting the tunnel built.”

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Acknowledging that critics will dismiss the proposal, he said “I know this is an ambitious idea and some people will say it can’t be done.”

The plan is reminiscent of Boston’s controversial “Big Dig” that replaced above-ground highways through downtown with tunnels but ran years last and horrendously over budget.

He would not estimate a cost for the 401 project, which if it is ever built would be one of the largest public infrastructure projects in the world.

More to come."

If they did build this it would be best served as an express by-pass.

Essentially, only have entry/exit at Port Union, the 427, 404 and 400. This would allow those seeking to get out of Toronto to avoid all the local traffic on the highway.

If they dig a tunnel under Toronto from Scarborough to Etobicoke, it should be for subways and/or go trains.

Yes but in this instance, the tunnel would serve those trying to out of or around Toronto. A Subway would not be of any use as there would not be any need for local stops.

All you need is a direct route of town with as few on/off ramps as possible.

Back