1.3K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 712     0 

VIA Rail

So, VIA returning to Gaspe or not?

Looks like this can be solved with a venture set

If the intent is to
Once again not enough foresight

If the intent is to restore service as a through train to Montreal, the Venture would be a terrible choice… no overnight amenities..

If it comes back as a connecting train that meets the Ocean for across the platform at Matapedia, the Venture would be a terrible choice…. No maintenance base.

I imagine it will return as a long distance train, using the LDS fleet

- Paul

If the intent is to

If the intent is to restore service as a through train to Montreal, the Venture would be a terrible choice… no overnight amenities..

If it comes back as a connecting train that meets the Ocean for across the platform at Matapedia, the Venture would be a terrible choice…. No maintenance base.

- Paul
They had slots for option sets. They could've exercised those options and at least get a few trains. They could easily develop overnight amenities in relatively short order. Now not only do we have to rebid but also rebid at 2024 prices which is guaranteed much more expensive per set.

Sounds like a bit of oversight here

If the intent is to

I imagine it will return as a long distance train, using the LDS fleet

- Paul
Is there a place to run around the train? They could use two locomotives and run them back to back like the ocean. Or one locomotive on each end of the train.

They had slots for option sets. They could've exercised those options and at least get a few trains. They could easily develop overnight amenities in relatively short order. Now not only do we have to rebid but also rebid at 2024 prices which is guaranteed much more expensive per set.

If developing overnight amenities (like baggage car, dining car and sleeper) could be done quickly and easily, ONR would have done it for the Northlander trains. I would love to see the LD fleet order use modified venture coaches for trains out of MMC, but that would require significant design work.

Qualifying a design for long distance service that has never been qualified before? For one route that demands perhaps two trainsets? Not gonna happen.
It all sounds easy until one understands all the standards and regs that have to be met. Not a proposition for a couple of guys with a pickup truck and the contractor’s discount at Home Depot.

- Paul

If developing overnight amenities (like baggage car, dining car and sleeper) could be done quickly and easily, ONR would have done it for the Northlander trains. I would love to see the LD fleet order use modified venture coaches for trains out of MMC, but that would require significant design work.
How do you know that they chose not to?

Ventures coming to SWO (87 on _2_____, 73-78-84 on __3____ and 71-76 on ___4567), as per Groups.io:
IMG_6917.jpeg

Reactions: rbt
Based on nothing ese than your gut feeling, I assume - or do you have anything remotely recent which would suggest that PP and his Conservatives oppose HFR? If they were really going to nix HFR with the (by then hopefully) signed contracts, they would be pressed to answer why they never publicly opposed the project while they were still in opposition and they are normally not exactly shy to voice their many grievances (#CBC). I’d assume they’ll happily take credit for investing in infrastructure while blaming the pricetag and any delays on Trudeau…
I hate to say - but the clock is really ticking on the Liberals. They may not get much accomplished on this file before an election - and then a massive expenditure focused on central Canada with some "greening the economy" underpinnings just does not seem like an election winner for the Conservatives. The question is whether it would win more seats for them in the suburbs of Toronto? I am not sure it does. I hope I'm wrong.

How do you know that they chose not to?

There is decent evidence that they aren't. For example:
  • ONR's website says, "The trainsets each include one locomotive and three passenger cars." There is no mention of baggage or dining cars, and while a sleeper could be considered a "passenger car" typically that term typically refers to coaches.
  • The press release on Siemen's website says the fleet will include, "galley style food services," which is further evidence that there aren't going to be any dining cars. However, there isn't any mention of Sleeping or baggage facilities, which I am sure they would brag about if there were to be any.
  • ONR's website says, "By 2041, annual ridership is currently estimated to be between approximately 40,000 and 60,000." Assuming the upper number and trains 7 days a week, that works out to an average of 82 passengers per day per direction (PPDPD). To accommodate peaks in demand, they would want more capacity than that. A 3 car VIA Venture trainset was expected to have 176 seats, which is about double the average PPDPD. Switching coaches for sleepers would significantly reduce the number of "seats."
None of these are conclusive on their own, but together they provide strong evidence that they aren't modifying them to include dinning, baggage and sleepers. Keeping them to VIA's spec also lowers the risk, as VIA would gladly buy the 3 ONR trainsets to increase their capacity and provide spares, should the Northlander not be "successful."

Back