News   Sep 26, 2024
 390     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 946     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 618     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

A) I don’t get it. Why are we sacrificing valuable pedestrian space, separated bike lane space and an extra possible lane or two of traffic flow for the very questionable benefits of on street parking. Yes there may be a need for commercial parking for the Hostess Chip Truck or the Beer Store delivery, and with planning, I think those accommodations can be made. But for Joe Q Public? I cannot believe for more then one nano second, that on street parking is a make or break item to a thriving public commercial and neighborhood area. I would rather have the extra personalized space for restaurants, outdoor street selling, fruit markets etc etc. and foster a lively and functioning urban space and neighbourhood. Especially where setbacks are minimal. Green P can occur underground, behind, around the corner and zoned into redevelopment as it happens.

Excellent comment and I agree entirely. Some loading zones yes, but on-street parking 'no'. That said, parking is required for many types of businesses, and if its shifted off of a main road (as it should), you need off-street underground parking, and/or paid parking on the side streets within 200M of the main road/shopping district. This, by the way, is perfectly do-able, but it is not yet City policy, and that's a problem.

A Parking Strategy covering just this issue was due back this fall, but so far as I can figure hasn't even started.....

I understand these are only ‘interim’ improvements and more is to come. I hope and trust ( and I know someone will correct me) that the improvements to the west end of E follow the patterns established by the completed improvements extending westwards from Yonge for seperated bike lanes.

In general, yes, but the top tier version will await road reconstruction, which for some portions of Eglinton is many years in the offing.

Also, the section east of Yonge, north side, is set to get a larger sidewalk with new buildings set back further to create a park-like setting for few blocks along that segment.

If true, here's another chapter in the Ford family's crusade against bike lanes.

CBC News: Ontario eyes barring new bike lanes where car lanes would be cut​

Terrible policy. What about roads where the capacity is beyond requirement? Lots of road diets can be done without negatively impacting capacity.

This is way too extreme for the mushy middle stance they are trying to take.

Terrible policy. What about roads where the capacity is beyond requirement? Lots of road diets can be done without negatively impacting capacity.

This is way too extreme for the mushy middle stance they are trying to take.

Normally I'd assume this is a purposeful leak to make opponents feel relieved about the restrictions/good they actually implement rather than angry/combative: this usually reduces negative press. However, I've been fooled a couple times I made that presumption with Ford's government.

Who is ready to go protest at Queen's Park if this actually makes it into a bill? Honestly, this may be the first time I would go out and protest in my life. This is a ridiculously regressive policy. There may certainly be locations in Ontario where it doesn't make sense to replace car lanes with bicycle infrastructure, but it's completely ridiculous to legislate an outright ban.

What would this do for the plans on Yonge?!

Depends on the exact wording of the legislation, and what games council is willing to play. For example, they might toss up bollards and make Yonge a pedestrian zone (which inevitably includes cyclists) with no other roadway changes.

Last edited:
What would stop a city from first reducing traffic lanes, and then completely independently, creating a bike lane where the traffic lane once was? Unless they mean to ban any reduction in lanes anywhere.

My guess is that they introduce this bill but it dies when the election is called.

RIP to 100km of bike lanes in 2 years. Dont think theres any road where you can build a bike lane now.

As for the election call, The feds arent doing one till next october, so Ford can wait till mid next year he simply wants to avoid PP's effect on him

Back