News   Sep 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 885     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 606     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Does the electric bus accelerate much faster than the current ones? I know the current buses are quite slow at getting up to speed, especially uphill

Does the electric bus accelerate much faster than the current ones? I know the current buses are quite slow at getting up to speed, especially uphill

That's an excellent question. Electric motors with high torque at low speed tend not to be efficient for continuous operation at high speeds. It's the reason many EVs have 2 different types of motors; one for getting up to speed (or rapidly decelerate), which is rarely used, and the other to offset drag on the highway. I have no idea what type of performance specs Metrolinx is expecting.

The TTC Nova eBus appears to be configured for efficiency at a continuous ~50km/h rather than getting up to speed as quickly as possible though the manufacturer doesn't really say that. Standing passengers need a fairly gentle ride so putting design effort into higher torque at low speeds is kinda wasted but this is what would be required to run up a hill quickly starting from stopped. I expect their highway coach model would be very similar if not the exact same drivetrain.

Worth noting, I'm only an enthusiast and have no relevant professional expertise.

Last edited:
Looks like another GO or UP station could be renamed?

RFI-2021-CCMX-097:Expressions of Interest for Station Naming Rights Opportunity

1726547089923.png

I never want to see anyone defend Metrolinx's wayfinding standards ever again. If they themselves can't stand by any basic wayfinding principles, why should we?
They don't even maintain to their own standards.

My wife - who has lived in Toronto for 50 years, and used to commute through Union for years, got misdirected in Union Station the other day. Coming west from the bus, past Scotiabank, there's that passageway to the right, which now goes to the Bay concourse through the construction.

But just pass there, just after you turn, but visible before you turn, is signage telling you that VIA and GO Transit are ahead of you. But if you follow that, you'll find the entrance direct into the VIA concourse is boarded off (and if there's signage saying what to do, it's really small text). She ended up outside, and into the York Teamway.

The complete and total incompetence at Metrolinx is beyond me. For the excessive amount of money they overcharge for construction, the on-Site Metrolinx staff, could take their head out of the phone, and walk around once a week or something, and just look at the bigger picture.

Some information from the Sep 12th YRRTC Board meeting (York Region Rapid Transit Corporation). Regarding the Metrolinx RTP Update [2051].

The report was on the Canada Public Transit Fund. The Metro-Region Agreement will be led by the province. The agreement will require an Integrated Regional Plan and include projects on a 10-year horizon period.

MTO will collaborate with Metrolinx to prioritize projects, building on the work underway to update Metrolinx’s Regional Transit Plan

Metrolinx is currently developing a project prioritization framework for the next Regional Transit Plan (RTP) for the GTHA. As part of this process, Metrolinx must demonstrate how the region will grow, and how the project prioritization framework meets the federal funding objectives.

Staff continue to work with Metrolinx to ensure York Region’s critical BRT projects needed in then ext 10 years along Jane Street and Highway 7 East corridors are included in the RTP Update. The RTP Update is anticipated to be completed by mid-2025.
The Metrolinx Rapid Transit Plan Update is anticipated to be completed by mid-2025. I'm assuming that's the 2051 plan. And it'll be important as their basis for the application for the Canada Public Transit Fund.

Some information from the YRRTC Board meeting (York Region Rapid Transit Corporation). Regarding the Metrolinx RTP Update [2051].

The report was on the Canada Public Transit Fund. The Metro-Region Agreement will be led by the province. The agreement will require an Integrated Regional Plan and include projects on a 10-year horizon period.

The Metrolinx Rapid Transit Plan Update is anticipated to be completed by mid-2025. I'm assuming that's the 2051 plan. And it'll be important as their basis for the application for the Canada Public Transit Fund.

York Region does not need more BRTs when the ones they've built are empty 80% of the time.

They need to fund a material increase in service first, then we can discuss spending hundreds of millions of dollars ( or more) on dedicated infrastructure.

York Region does not need more BRTs when the ones they've built are empty 80% of the time.

They need to fund a material increase in service first, then we can discuss spending hundreds of millions of dollars ( or more) on dedicated infrastructure.
Agreed, i think they deserve to be deprived of Federal transit funds until they take increasing service levels seriously.

I think further infrastructure on Yonge is fine. Even midday, those Newmarket busses are basically standing room only up until Elgin Mills (Even if you say that they could increase Viva Blue service, demand can/will easily catch up 10-20 years from now)

The other lines though...

I think further infrastructure on Yonge is fine. Even midday, those Newmarket busses are basically standing room only up until Elgin Mills (Even if you say that they could increase Viva Blue service, demand can/will easily catch up 10-20 years from now)

The other lines though...

Even on Yonge, I'm reading the schedule as I type........... Viva Blue.......at peak service is 12M headway between vehicles...........gaps at some points, off-peak, are 18M

That's insane.

You don't need a bus lane for that, you need more buses.

Even on Yonge, I'm reading the schedule as I type........... Viva Blue.......at peak service is 12M headway between vehicles...........gaps at some points, off-peak, are 18M

That's insane.

You don't need a bus lane for that, you need more buses.
12M headways excluding the short turns. Every other bus short turns at Bernard Terminal (more or less halfway through the route). So effectively its 6m peak, and 9m off peak (though not as good as precovid where it was 5/7.5 respectively). Obviously room for improvement, but its not that bad.

Back