News   Sep 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 885     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 606     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Four more stations rolled out over the last two days, all neatly clustered so I can post them all with one screenshot:

1726076275714.png

All clustered in/around Don Mills from Sheppard to Finch.

Curious to me that they didn't prioritize the Senecas campus, though maybe that's yet to come.

The warm weather we've been having must be good for breaking bike share usage records.

That said, finding a bike recently in Midtown has been nigh-on impossible. I'm actually reducing my weekly bikeshare trips as a consequence.

All this expansion to the outer suburbs while there is hardly any coverage midtown seems so counter-intuitive.

The warm weather we've been having must be good for breaking bike share usage records.

That said, finding a bike recently in Midtown has been nigh-on impossible. I'm actually reducing my weekly bikeshare trips as a consequence.

All this expansion to the outer suburbs while there is hardly any coverage midtown seems so counter-intuitive.

I indicated previously that I would be posting a series of snapshots of where Bikeshare is showing large numbers of Bikeshare stations in the same area largely out of bikes at the end of AM Peak.

I will continue that now, with a look at one of those more suburban areas........then we'll take a fresh look at midtown.

Below, the Weston-Jane area south of 401:

1726755611419.png

* note that one new station (the most northerly on Weston) is new this morning.

A couple of Mid-town snap shots.

The first, centred on Yonge-Eg shows several stations w/zero bikes, but 2, Yonge/Orchardview and Eglinton/Redpath absolutely loaded with bikes:

1726755809719.png

The area just to the south, along the Yonge Corridor and over to Mt. Pleasant actually looks well stocked:

1726755880725.png

Last edited:
It may be that there's a gap at rush hour in the morning with a lot of people taking (or looking for) bikes at 8:00-8:30 to go downtown and the docks being replenished by people who work in the Yonge and Eglinton area arriving at 9ish?

But my wife uses bixi to do the last mile from Yonge and Eg twice a week to her job and she can almost always get not only a bike, but an e-bike at 8:15ish.

They keep removing my most heavily used stations in the Midtown area. This time, it is the station at Moorevale Park that has disappeared, which I had discovered only upon arrival.

I am close to writing an email to Bikeshare and the local councilor office. This network has become quite important for me to get around the city and service in the midtown area is declining with service gaps and deserts widening while they’re busy expanding in the outer wards of the city.

They keep removing my most heavily used stations in the Midtown area. This time, it is the station at Moorevale Park that has disappeared, which I had discovered only upon arrival.

I am close to writing an email to Bikeshare and the local councilor office. This network has become quite important for me to get around the city and service in the midtown area is declining with service gaps and deserts widening while they’re busy expanding in the outer wards of the city.

Maybe its time we allow private bikeshare/escooter services like every other city in Canada?

Bikeshare is seeing solid financials through the first 8 months of the year as reported out to the Toronto Parking Authority Audit and Risk Mgt Ctte.

From the above:

1727117190331.png

1727117208968.png

Of note.............

Many here may remember the big hissy fit the TPA through earlier in the year, demanding a better deal from the City (less profit share, more cap-x) and delaying investment in Bikeshare as leverage.

So.... in the above report we learn that:

1727117396342.png

That's right...........turns out they're doing just fine after all............

On the upside, that is reflected in an increase in spending on Bikeshare:

1727117492330.png

Under the 'Network Info' section on their website, you can see that the removal, which happened in August is temporary for Parks construction. The Docks here will return.

1727124387551.png

Maybe its time we allow private bikeshare/escooter services like every other city in Canada?
I disagree, most especially with he scooters. As soon as one crosses into Mississauga, these scooters are parked willy-nilly. They are still illegal in Toronto (fwiw, as that's not enforced).

There are already businesses that will rent you a bicycle. None do it with one way rentals, afaik

Many here may remember the big hissy fit the TPA through earlier in the year, demanding a better deal from the City (less profit share, more cap-x) and delaying investment in Bikeshare as leverage.
Protip: when you take a hostage, you gotta make sure the recipient of the ransom note likes 'em.

Back