News   Sep 16, 2024
 234     0 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 816     1 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 566     0 

Lack of meaningful Passenger Rail service outside the Quebec-Windsor Corridor

Sorry guys.

Michael: I didn't rise to the bait; I just commented on how slow the fishing seemed.

Well that's an interesting take.
The ship was unfit to sail, but was pushed to sail. This was during the Harper era, Feb 2014 when he was doing everything to balance the budget. During that time PP was the Minister for Democratic Reform.

Where does my thinking lay when it comes to Via's business plan?
Where does it lay when it comes to past actions of federal governments?

I try to stay out of the pure fantasy, and stick to something that is within the realm of possible.

Sure, but your definition of "possible" diverges from what's worth discussing.

And there are places where nothing more than a daily should exist.

No once-daily train route is economically reasonable except for remote services. A single daily train doesn't generate enough revenue to cover its overhead costs. If there is no corridor, there is no economic basis. A bus will be cheaper, provided there is a road. There is no market in Canada where a once-daily service offering will fill a long train, because it does not give travellers flexibility in timing.
A train that is needed once daily is by definition a remote service, and even there economics will force it to 3x weekly.

Regina -Saskatoon may work for HFR.

Please explain where the ridership will come to fill this service. The entire population of Saskatchewan isn't sufficient. And a provincial transport network with appropriate feeder routes would be largely bus dependent, so having a rail backbone is not worthwhile.

Other than that, a daily to most cities would be enough.

Again, forget "daily". A bus every x hours far exceeds the value of a once daily train, and is far cheaper to build and operate.

So, finding a way to maximize profits out of the parts of Via that can be profitable makes sense.

You assume investment on an enormous scale. Sure, some trains on some routes might cover their above-the-rail expense, but only after a massive capital spend whose financing costs will never be recovered. Which is why other Ministers can make better cases for the available funds. As for private money, if you can't offer ROI on investment, breaking even on operations is not good enough to find investors.

Adding other routes that could also be profitable

What other routes ?Again, you are imagining funding streams that the country doesn't have, public or private.

My second cup of coffee is kicking in, so I will stop here. Your ideas make sense only to you - because your grasp of the fundamentals is so weak.

- Paul

Last edited:
The ship was unfit to sail, but was pushed to sail. This was during the Harper era, Feb 2014 when he was doing everything to balance the budget.
Harper never tried to balance the budget. He's Canada's second highest spending PM of all time, see below adjusted to 2022 dollars.

prime-ministers-and-government-spending-2023.jpg

Poilievre will likely exceed Trudeau non-pandemic budgets above. But likely not to any benefit of VIA rail or intercity passenger rail. PP is going to rip that apart.

Last edited:
Friendly reminder that trolls win every time that the effort they impose on other people by provoking them into reacting to them exceeds their own effort to write their own comments, which is why they are best either ignored or shot down as fast as possible without much bother to disect their “arguments”.

Poilievre will likely exceed Trudeau non-pandemic budgets above. But likely not to any benefit of VIA rail or intercity passenger rail. PP is going to rip that apart.
I still have to see any somewhat relevant evidence (e.g., more recent than a 2012 interview, when VIA’s commercial and fiscal performance was far worse than today and nobody would have dared to dream about something as ambitious as HFR) that PP has any intentions to defund VIA and/or kill off HFR. The people insisting on this theory seem to be so convinced that they don’t even bother to explain it…

Last edited:
Harper never tried to balance the budget. He's Canada's second highest spending PM of all time, see below adjusted to 2022 dollars.

While your point is generally correct this chart is spending, not deficit, and as such doesn't really serve as evidence Harper did not try to balance the budget.

A balanced budget has spending and revenue at the same level; and there are ways of doing that without reducing spending.

While your point is generally correct this chart is spending, not deficit, and as such doesn't really serve as evidence Harper did not try to balance the budget.
True, and a quick search didn't show what I really wanted re. deficits per PM. But outside of a revenue windfall, any government that is trying to balance the budget is not going to be increasing spending.

Friendly reminder that trolls win every time...
Who are these trolls you frequently mention? I don't see any troll-like baiting above.

Instead of given attention to whomever has wronged your POV, I suggest we leave it up to the Mods to regulate behaviour.

A simple Google search gives you the real answer.

Sure, but your definition of "possible" diverges from what's worth discussing.

Notice the name of this forum. Talking about bringing something more meaningful than 2-3x week,if anything is what I do, but as I say, I look for what is within the realm of possibility and not just fantasy. Sure, HSR to all cities in Canada would be nice, but there is abetter chance of me becoming PM that that happening. So,when a topic elsewhere has me think of something that could realistically be done,and it would apply to none Corridor routes, I put it here.

No once-daily train route is economically reasonable except for remote services. A single daily train doesn't generate enough revenue to cover its overhead costs. If there is no corridor, there is no economic basis. A bus will be cheaper, provided there is a road. There is no market in Canada where a once-daily service offering will fill a long train, because it does not give travellers flexibility in timing.
A train that is needed once daily is by definition a remote service, and even there economics will force it to 3x weekly.

A once daily Ocean or Canadian, especially during peak periods would likely be profitable, considering that the Canadian is already profitable..

Please explain where the ridership will come to fill this service. The entire population of Saskatchewan isn't sufficient. And a provincial transport network with appropriate feeder routes would be largely bus dependent, so having a rail backbone is not worthwhile.

I got an idea. Show me how to get from Regina to Saskatoon without a car.
They are close enough that even a singular train bouncing back and forth a few times a day would be plenty.

Again, forget "daily". A bus every x hours far exceeds the value of a once daily train, and is far cheaper to build and operate.

Buses are held up by traffic, and weather. Some of it is actual dollars and cents, but some of the value comes from things like not having to sit in traffic or being able to travel during the blizzard.

You assume investment on an enormous scale. Sure, some trains on some routes might cover their above-the-rail expense, but only after a massive capital spend whose financing costs will never be recovered. Which is why other Ministers can make better cases for the available funds. As for private money, if you can't offer ROI on investment, breaking even on operations is not good enough to find investors.

I said profit, not break even. I also did not think that *snap* and it is all built out. Doing it right would be to build one the ones that need the least amount of money to build out first,or the ones that will bring the quickest ROI first.

What other routes ?Again, you are imagining funding streams that the country doesn't have, public or private.

I have posted many of them already.

My second cup of coffee is kicking in, so I will stop here. Your ideas make sense only because your grasp of the fundamentals is so weak.

- Paul

Who are these trolls you frequently mention? I don't see any troll-like baiting above.

The two I usually refer to are @micheal_can and @ssiguy2, but different people have different perceptions about what constitutes trolling and what not - and that’s okay!

Instead of given attention to whomever has wronged your POV, I suggest we leave it up to the Mods to regulate behaviour.
Well, over on Skyscraperpage, the mods have acted by permanently banning @micheal_can (known there as swimmer_spe) for exactly the same behaviour he is compulsively exhibiting here, but again: different people (even: mods) have different thresholds for what consititutes as trolling. Anyways, the sole reason for this thread’s existence is to distract him from polluting the VIA Rail thread, but I have joined those which try to help people which get triggered too much by his behaviour (like myself previously) by suggesting to them to just block him (like all of them and myself already did).

In the meanwhile, why don’t you share any of the evidence which makes you so convinced that PP hates VIA/HFR and wants to defund it? This would truly be valuable information for those people here who (unlike me) are eligible to vote in the upcoming federal election…

Last edited:
True, and a quick search didn't show what I really wanted re. deficits per PM. But outside of a revenue windfall, any government that is trying to balance the budget is not going to be increasing spending.

While missing the PMs, Stats Canada have quarterly deficit as %age of GDP which seems like a good way of looking at this type of data. Negative is a surplus, positive is a deficit. There is a trend-line during Harper's rule (2008 onward) toward surpluses which Trudeau continued through to 2020. The Cretien budget changes are clearly visible and continue through Martin into Harper's first term.

Harper was 2006 through 2015.
Trudeau is 2015 to present.

cg240625b001-eng.png

The data in table format below the image:

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, why don’t you share any of the evidence which makes you so convinced that PP hates VIA/HFR and wants to defund it? This would truly be valuable information for those people here who (unlike me) are eligible to vote in the upcoming federal election…
Time will tell if it's all bluster, but we touched on this on the main VIA thread.

Time will tell if it's all bluster, but we touched on this on the main VIA thread.

The ACTA link to your quote is unfortunately dead (and googling some phrases yields no results from outside this forum), but YDS has not been VIA CEO since 2019 and I highly doubt that he would reply to PP’s criticisms of VIA while at the helm of Siemens Canada.

Anyways, once PP finds himself in office he will very soon realize that VIA does not offer any subsidized service in direct competition against private airlines, as it is not subsidized in any of the (corridor) markets where it could be considered a credible alternative to the airplane. Which is even acknowledged in your own post:
Indeed. From 2023. https://www.acta.ca/news-releases/via0623

MP Pierre Poilievre (Carleton, Ont.), Conservative Treasury Board critic, questioned ongoing subsidies for the Crown railway as unfair competition to private airlines. “The airline system is not subsidized,” Poilievre said; “In fact it is a net contributor to the Government of Canada. Airlines pay corporate taxes, fuel taxes, airport rents; the passenger pays for the cost of security.” Why should taxpayers be subsidizing a money-losing mode of transportation at the expense of a money-generating mode of transportation?” he said; “That’s just the reality. The Winnipeg to Churchill per passenger subsidy is $1,000 – what is a plane ticket from Winnipeg to Churchill?” “There are no planes on the 42 stops between Winnipeg and Churchill,” replied Desjardins-Siciliano. “That is why the Government of Canada provides the service.”

Subsidies per passenger on the VIA system range from $37 on the Toronto-Ottawa-Montréal run to $317 at Toronto-Niagara; $461 on Ocean service from Montréal to Halifax; $528 per passenger on transcontinental service from Toronto to Vancouver; and $779 per passenger from Winnipeg to Churchill, Man., the highest subsidy in the network.

Also, the subsidized (non-Corridor) routes disproportionately serve exactly the kind of remote communities where he rides on their sense of being abandoned. In short, I fail to see what he has to gain by cutting the measly funding which goes into non-Corridor VIA, let alone killing: HFR (though he might scale it down if it’s over-reliant on taxpayer funding) or anything resembling the ideological grievances he holds against, say, the CBC…

Last edited:
Regina -Saskatoon may work for HFR.

A gravity model works well to help compare transportation demand (not just rail) between markets with similar sinergies. In this case we have two cities in the same province, one of which is the provincial capital, with very little population between them. The most obvious compariale in the corridor to me would be Montreal-Quebec City. I'll also compare it to Edmonton-Calgary.

CMA PopulationDistance (km)Gravity (million people / km^2)
Montreal
4,291,732​
255​
55​
Quebec City
839,311​
Calgary
1,481,806​
300​
23​
Edmonton
1,418,118​
Saskatoon
317,480​
262​
1.2​
Regina
249,217​

As you can see the demand between Calgary and Edmonton is estimated to be less than half that of Montreal-Quebec City, and Sascatoon-Regina has about 2% of the demand. So if there are 5 Montreal-Quebec City trains a day, one could see 2 (maybe 3) Calgary-Edmonton trains a day, but not even 1 train a week between Saskatoon and Regina. At that point, you would be better off looking at other tranportation options, better suted to the demand.

I didn't include Ottawa-Toronto, as about 1/4 of Ottawa's CMA population is in Quebec, nor did I include London-Toronto, as it has significant population between the two.

Back