News   Sep 16, 2024
 230     0 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 810     1 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 566     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

The Metro at Eglinton and Lloyd Manor has been selling RTD coolers and huge cases of beer for a couple of weeks now.
I think they added RTD coolers to the Longo's at Maple Leaf Square a few weeks ago as well. Guessing both of these were part of the expansion they did for existing licensed grocery stores during the LCBO strike.

Wow another No Frills opening on the bottom of 75 The Esplanade!

Can someone plot all the downtown No Frills location to give it a visualization.

* Cross Post to 88 North Thread*

Ha, you put me on to another location............by scrolling down.

A No Frills is going in at 77 Shuter.Street.

That's the '88 North' condo.

That's the exact space that had been pegged for a Loblaws City Market a number of years ago but it never came to fruition.

Permits in process here:

1726499470283.png

Can someone plot all the downtown No Frills location to give it a visualization.

Here ya go; I used CDL's old map of downtown supermarkets from 2017, I added the new NF in yellow squares labelled NF.

I also added the incoming T&T, Marche Leo, and the Farm Boy on Queen's Quay that opened since 2017

I know I'm missing some, but its a quick effort in the work day.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 11-30-04 Central Toronto Supermarkets - Google My Maps.png

So, Toronto is getting MORE No Frills stores, but yet no sign of a NO NAME store?
It's just common sense that Either King & Shaw or the Liberty Village store become a NO NAME store just to justify a difference between the two stores that are so close together. (On my opinion anyway...)

So, Toronto is getting MORE No Frills stores, but yet no sign of a NO NAME store?
It's just common sense that Either King & Shaw or the Liberty Village store become a NO NAME store just to justify a difference between the two stores that are so close together. (On my opinion anyway...)

The 'No Name' store will likely be dead as a concept in six months.

The initial customer reviews are terrible.

Remember, no meat, no dairy, no fridges, limited produce; less selection all for an advertised price savings of ' up to ' 20%, but with most people having visited suggesting the average price difference is well less than that.

Now, they could surprise me and tweak the concept.

But, hey, the last time they tried something similar, 'The Box', it was gone inside a year.

The time before that.........the concept was called "No Frills" in 1978, LOL......and Loblaws relented and changed it into what you now think of as 'No Frills' within a couple of years.

Institutional memory there must not be high.

* Also..... no one normally tests concepts in Toronto. Its too expensive, and too different a market from the majority of the country.

London and Kingston area are historic testing zones.

Back