News   Sep 26, 2024
 507     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 672     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

You can think what you want. But I think the board should be asking staff tough questions about how they weren't consulted by ending wifi.
I am certainly not asking permission to think what I want.
Wi-Fi in the stations is at it's EOL, and continuing to support it is not worthwhile. The TTC agree, Rogers agrees, the majority of TTC customers agree.

I am certainly not asking permission to think what I want.
I'd be worried if you were!

Wi-Fi in the stations is at it's EOL, and continuing to support it is not worthwhile. The TTC agree, Rogers agrees, the majority of TTC customers agree.
The Commissioners probably didn't even here about it until today. TTC staff might agree, but I fear they've down an end run past the Commission.

I'm not sure in what world 35% still using is insufficient. That's a LOT more than the percentage of people who use TTC washrooms. Perhaps we should eliminate those too. And no where near 35% use night buses after 3 AM, or before 5 AM. So a 22-hour service!

I recall way back when I moved to Toronto in 2005 there were histrionics over the TTC removing the analog clocks from the subway stations, and instead only had the time on the newly installed video screens. "HOW WILL PEOPLE KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!?", said the Spacing Magazine crew, and if you want to talk about White Privilege look no further than there. "What about people who can't afford a watch?!?," they whined. It's so quaint how when you look at the absolute horrible state the system was in at that time and compare to now it's like we're in paradise and their number one concern about the TTC was analog clocks.

Last edited:
It's likely that investing further money into this wasn't going to see a great enough benefit.
A great enough benefit to Rogers profits. I agree with you. Which is likely why they have somehow managed to fenagle this out of TTC.

When bathroom usage drops from it's current levels by 65% let me know.
See March 2020.

It was always effing terrible.

In the past I've run personal tests, turned off my mobile data and tried just using the TCONNECT along the Line 2 from Yonge station to Kipling. It's not worth it. I can't verify but it always seemed like access points were only ever installed centrally on the platform ...
It was only on the platforms. That wasn't a secret. So yes, it wouldn't work in the tunnels, as designed. That was also true of the mobile service - which has been available from Day 1 with some providers (but Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc. refused to negotiate access).

That said, towards the end, they had at least got mobile service in at least the Yonge tunnel from Union to Bloor. I don't ride that line as much (and invariably only 2-3 stops), so I'm not aware how the wifi was working - I'd have thought the wi-fi would have required units on each train, and some high-tech system to get Internet to the trains themselves - which I believe is what GO Transit does. But as far as I know, it wasn't ever in the scope.

Just came across this on Reddit.

If I was a betting man, the bus bays at Warden will soon be removed from the fare paid area.

RDT_20240915_1643522571703083804839879.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/TTC/s/PZ7nOEwxuJ

Just came across this on Reddit.

If I was a betting man, the bus bays at Warden will soon be removed from the fare paid area.

View attachment 596540

https://www.reddit.com/r/TTC/s/PZ7nOEwxuJ
I am guessing the current connection from the subway to the bus bays may need to be closed down for the construction discussed here https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-warden-station-redevelopment-13-11m-2s-ttc-sai.34633/ . This will be the temporary way to get from the subway to the bus bays.

Last edited:
Certainly we should make decisions based on that once in a lifetime event, rather than a sustained decline in usage over time.
We need better data over time though. The plan had always been that the wifi was secondary to the mobile. And the mobile has worked better than wifi at the TTC stations for years. But because most providers were refusing to negotiate for carriage with BAI (which surely is an illegal monopolistic behaviour), wifi usage would have been artificially much higher than originally anticipated.

Shouldn't the comparison be to what the anticipated usage was back in 2012 - not the higher level that occurred until the other mobile carriers finally came on board?

Either way - if there's zero cost to the city or TTC for maintaining wifi, why let Rogers off the hook? Especially when wifi is STILL contractually guaranteed to still be in place on Line 5, when it opens?

Aren't they soon going to be knocking all those 2-level bus bays down, and replacing them with something simpler - like they did at Victoria Park?

Whatever they are doing here (which might well be taking them out of the fare paid area) is surely temporary. And when construction is finished, they will be in the fare paid area again (like at Victoria Park).

I am guessing the current connection from the subway to the bus bays may need to be closed down for the construction discussed here https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-warden-station-redevelopment-13-11m-2s-ttc-sai.34633/ . This will be the temporary way to get from the subway to the bus bays.

There is precedent for this.

In 1967 when the station was constructed, there was direct access to the Warden Avenue exit from the bus bays.

See below from the City of Toronto Archives via Nathan Ngs Station Fixation site.

warden-1967-f1567s0648_fl0226_id0009.jpg
warden-1968-opening-s0648_fl0244_id0046.jpg

In 1967 when the station was constructed, there was direct access to the Warden Avenue exit from the bus bays.

See below from the City of Toronto Archives via Nathan Ngs Station Fixation site.

View attachment 596554View attachment 596555
Thanks for the interesting historical information!

Perhaps this passage has been there since originally constructed in 1967, and it was just walled off.

As per this photo I found online (which I think is of the same area, but I am not sure) there was a wall with a door there, perhaps it was used as a storage room or something similar?

Screenshot_20240915-184605.png

EDIT: nevermind, the door above appears to be where the new passage is, but not where the original 1967 passage was.

Last edited:

Now I'm confused.

I haven't paid enough attention when I'm there, and I used to take the Warden bus from Warden station often, and I don't think I've ever walked out. I don't think I've been there since before Covid though.

If the station entrance on Warden at the end of the bus bays, doesn't go up to the bus bays, where DOES it go to? Surely there isn't a tunnel?

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

1726441979387.png

Back