News   Sep 26, 2024
 508     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 672     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

One thing about the operator training.....

Despite the fact that the nomenclature and equipment is different, the two lines are being considered equal and equivalent from an operational perspective.

The first pair of classes is not being trained on the Finch West Line yet. The second may, but it's still unknown at this point. The third almost certainly will get trained on both lines simultaneously.

It is felt that one pair of classes should be enough to allow the service on Finch West to start, as it will use far fewer crews than Eglinton. The first pair (or maybe first two pairs) will then cycle through a reduced period of training to give them clearance on Finch West as well at a later date - which may or may not occur after the line opens.

Dan
Interesting. Will it be one division or two?

Someone's added a (perhaps fictional) "TTC Black Creek Division" to Google Maps near Mount Dennis station and the LRT yard. Black Creek interestingly runs from near Mount Dennis station to Finch near that LRT yard.

Someone's added a (perhaps fictional) "TTC Black Creek Division" to Google Maps near Mount Dennis station and the LRT yard. Black Creek interestingly runs from near Mount Dennis station to Finch near that LRT yard.
Black Creek Division is real though whether it is for both Line 5 and 6 I don't quite know.

There are two carhouses - Black Creek and Finch West - but operationally they are one division. Much as how the SRT was operationally rolled into the BD, with crews based out of Greenwood & Coxwell.

Dan

Was WiFi on Line 5 one of the check-boxes for "completion"? Did they give up WiFi on all rapid transit lines in Toronto because of that?

The transit agency told CP24 that upgrading the internet infrastructure in the subway stations would cost $17 million, and it thinks that money would be better spent on actual transit upgrades.

The Wi-Fi service is set to shutter at the end of the year, but the TTC says that since reliable cellular service hit the tunnels, the Wi-Fi service has been barely used and dropped 65 percent. Now, only two percent of riders use the Wi-Fi.

Via a CityNews reporter covering today's Metrolinx board meeting where Crosstown LRT was discussed (thread):

- "Physical construction is complete"
- System integration testing is 84 per cent, a year ago it was below 10
- 5/46 certificates on the design and work received, "many" in development
- 36/40 occupancy certificates received
- "Stress test" done at the end of July, 75 per cent of the fleet ran in 28 different formations over four days straight
- Tests "weren't perfect" but went "exceptionally well," "lots of learning, things to fix"
- Led to the beginning of LRT operator training in mid-August
- "Infrastructure readiness was always the issue under dispute that had to be fixed, particularly the signalling and train control system"
- 8th version of signalling software system issued to "improve the operationality as well as the safety and punctuality of the system"
- Latest software needed for revenue service demonstration "later in the year"
- Opening date will be announced three months ahead of first customer service date (repeated in recent months)
- No date provided now (based on the above, opening likely won't happen before 2025)
- Emergency services milestone test held earlier in September, train stopped outside Laird station in the tunnel, simulated an evacuation of riders, up to 16 procedures tested, called it "really successful"
- "This is steady as she goes"

Another executive spoke on training:
- At the end of July, all 29 trainers finished the "train the trainer" program
- "Full swing" of training for 95 TTC operators, divided into three cohorts
- "Deep into training" of the first cohort, will follow with other two cohorts

Video here @ 24:50 mark. 2nd executive at 34 min mark

"

Wifi is just not intended for public use. the IEEE.802.11 protocol was intended for small office and home environments. It was an extension of the ethernet Local Area Network system. It modified the cordless phone radio frequencies to wirelessly transmit over short distances. There have been upgrades over the years but they are all a bandaid solution and the technology was never meant for public access like in the TTC subways. The protocol was not designed for long range or having many devices connect and disconnect with it. Its riddled with security flaws. The range is only 100 feet or so from each access point, you need so much infrastructure just to cover a small area. The systems become quickly out of date and then it is prohibitively expensive to upgrade because again, you need so much infrastructure to get it to work.

We have a communications system designed for this task. Its called 5G. Yes, you need a subscription to access it. If you are concerned about people living below poverty line having access, it would be far better use of money to take that 17 million dollars and give every poor person a free data sim card than build out a public wifi network.

I have never understood why anyone would willingly use a public wifi network anyway. Hardly seems worth the risk. Read a book!

In all my years of taking the subway I rarely found the wifi to work. Maybe if there was a service delay and I was on a platform. But on train? Useless.

Why are we obsessed with perfection in the wifi/5G/whatever comms when the subway's PA system is so terrible? And the next train displays so tiny?

I'm not proposing to stand in the way of progress, but maybe a prerequisite condition ought to be functionality to broadcast all subway service announcements and status to a phone app? And enough capability in the control center to actually transmit timely reporting? An overlay of the traffic control screen so we can see where the backed up trains are?

- Paul
(Missing my old Blackberry with its joystick button - for years my subway amusement was Brick Breaker. At least that worked down there.)

Other than it being 300 metres (or more depending where the bus stops) from the subway station.
piu
They should extend the subway another stop, to get to the GO terminal. :)
They should have put in one of those airport style people movers! But I reckon it would take 3 years to commission.:rolleyes:

One of the biggest outstanding issues with opening the Crosstown is or was software defects in the signalling and train control system. Could there be problems with "talking" via WiFi or cellular or whatever communication links they are using? Must be something us "folks" don't need to know.

They should have put in one of those airport style people movers! But I reckon it would take 3 years to commission.:rolleyes:

Spadina used to have a movator back in the day in the long tunnel connecting the 2 lines! You can still see the different coloured tiles where they removed it!

So there's precedence!

Via a CityNews reporter covering today's Metrolinx board meeting where Crosstown LRT was discussed (thread):

- "Physical construction is complete"
- System integration testing is 84 per cent, a year ago it was below 10
- 5/46 certificates on the design and work received, "many" in development
- 36/40 occupancy certificates received
- "Stress test" done at the end of July, 75 per cent of the fleet ran in 28 different formations over four days straight
- Tests "weren't perfect" but went "exceptionally well," "lots of learning, things to fix"
- Led to the beginning of LRT operator training in mid-August
- "Infrastructure readiness was always the issue under dispute that had to be fixed, particularly the signalling and train control system"
- 8th version of signalling software system issued to "improve the operationality as well as the safety and punctuality of the system"
- Latest software needed for revenue service demonstration "later in the year"
- Opening date will be announced three months ahead of first customer service date (repeated in recent months)
- No date provided now (based on the above, opening likely won't happen before 2025)
- Emergency services milestone test held earlier in September, train stopped outside Laird station in the tunnel, simulated an evacuation of riders, up to 16 procedures tested, called it "really successful"
- "This is steady as she goes"

Another executive spoke on training:
- At the end of July, all 29 trainers finished the "train the trainer" program
- "Full swing" of training for 95 TTC operators, divided into three cohorts
- "Deep into training" of the first cohort, will follow with other two cohorts
So in what month do you believe the new Line 5 will open?

After school finishes July 2025. Demand will be lower at this time to allow for eglinton to start while not as much frequency is needed and with good weather. Opening it in Winter will be a huge mistake.
I don't think opening in the winter weather will be the issue - given it will be the 4th winter they've been operating these cars on Eglinton already! And the almost identical cars used in Waterloo have had no issues with winter operations. And what is winter these days ... the grass was still green until about mid-February this year, and started turning green again a couple of weeks later. A lot of annuals in my garden simply kept growing in March instead of dying back or reseeding.

But I doubt they'll be ready until Spring anyhow, between the training and trial running. My money is on May 11, 2025. For both lines. We should have a pool! Winner doesn't have to see the ads. :)

Back