News   Sep 10, 2024
 463     0 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 718     1 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 547     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

I was trying to report trees on the city boulevard blocking sidewalks, but there wasn't an option for that so I had to just pick something else and hope they looked at the additional info to figure it out. Luckily they did. However I filled out a report for a blocked drain, covered in a foot of debris, using the specific form for that, and they came by and trimmed the plants growing out of the debris. Drain is still blocked.

I recently had to report a hornet's nest that was on a tree in a neighbour's property but dangling over the sidewalk. It was surprisingly simple and easy, and the city sent someone out within three days to fix it. Guess the threat of getting sued if someone gets stung and has an allergic reaction is enough to motivate them.

Many parts of City website are 'off limits".

1725482702384.png

Many parts of City website are 'off limits".

View attachment 593847

I ran into the same thing, probed a bit........it IS an expired security certificate.

I will never understand why IT doesn't have reminders set up..............sigh.

I will never understand why IT doesn't have reminders set up..............sigh.
As someone who has some direct experience with this, the answer is usually that reminders *were* set up at one point, but they are configured to go to the wrong person (who may not even be an employee anymore), or they were once set up to go to a distribution list that has since been renamed, or there are reminders going out but they're being caught by overzealous spam filtering, etc...

None of which is to excuse sloppy practices, but I've seen much more sophisticated engineering operations than the City of Toronto miss a certificate renewal.

Toronto Star has an update on the Don Valley West by-election. As I had expected, it appears to be a race between Anthony Furey and local TDSB trustee Rachel Chernos Lin.

The article mentions concerns from Chernos Lin's camp, which includes Kathleen Wynne and her spouse, that there could be vote splitting on the left, which would allow Furey to win.

I would be stunned if Chernos Lin was able to claim John Tory's endorsement. The only time he's endorsed a left-of-centre politician (to my knowledge) was Joe Mihevc in 2018, which was more of a strategic/petty move to try and defeat his council antagonist Josh Matlow.

Last edited:
How is John Tory one of "two of the big names involved" when the extent of his involvement is being asked whether he's involved and responding that he's not? What a stupid thing to write. No wonder nobody respects journalists any more.

And Ben Spurr is normally one of the good ones! I imagine he wasn't the person who wrote that sentence under the headline.

Back