News   Aug 16, 2024
 967     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 580     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 509     0 

Woodbine Centre

... The concept of flipping the Woodbine isn't a new one. While I can't say how much the Woodbine supposedly sold for, I read that Mr. Hinn was originally looking to
get $600 million (pre-receivership) for Woodbine based on the mall being situated next to the Woodbine Racetrack...
The problem with hoping to flip it is that it's based on nothing but wishful thinking. Fixing up a few things almost certainly won't make CF or some other major company suddenly more eager to buy it. If they had any interest in buying it, they would have done it and improved it themselves.

Last edited:
Are there any articles about the sale of 2025 Kipling? Saw that the fencing was removed around the property recently.

When Sunpact Holdings (Chris Hinn) purchased the Woodbine Centre from Cadillac Fairview several years ago, the sale price was estimated at $150 million.
On a similar note, I recently read that the nearby Canadian Tire on Kipling and Rexdale just sold for a relative figure of $125 million.

Unlike Woodbine, Canadian Tire's property remained dormant for about a year before an eventual sale was reached. The difference being a change of address
(Canadian Tire), and a forced receivership for unpaid loans (Woodbine).

The concept of flipping the Woodbine isn't a new one. While I can't say how much the Woodbine supposedly sold for, I read that Mr. Hinn was originally looking to
get $600 million (pre-receivership) for Woodbine based on the mall being situated next to the Woodbine Racetrack. From a business perspective, Mr. Hinn believed
the Woodbine's market value was worth a greater sale price in response to the Woodbine Racetrack's 2 billion dollar renovation plans.

I visited the Woodbine earlier this month, and instantly felt the reduced air conditioning. Other than a slight draft lofting through the Fair, the stuffy conditions inside
the mall were only matched by the summer heat blistering outside it. Just by walking around, I could see why ride attendants would be miserable with these working
conditions.

I only hope the new owners begin renovating the mall shortly. The corpse of the Woodbine Centre definitely needs a positive turning point in our Urban Toronto discussions.
Chris Hinn was the third owner. Another company purchased it from CF and then sold it to Sunpact

Back