Toronto 1860 Keele | 63.35m | 19s | Block | RAW Design

New docs from Dec 2022:

1860ke.JPG

The new rendering has been updated in the database. The total storey count changed from 16 to 18 storeys. Full height changed from 48.77m to 63.35m. The total unit count changed from 235 units to 245 units. Finally, total vehicle parking was reduced from 99 car parking to 68 parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resubmitted with the following changes:
  • Total residential units increased from 245 to 272
  • Total bicycle parking increased from 247 to 273
  • Storey count has been reclassified as 19-storeys due to residential space in the lower mechanical level
All demolition permits remain pending.

Updated rendering:
PLN - Architectural Plans - ArchitecturalDrawings_1860-1868Keele_St-1.jpg

Axo Perspectives:
PLN - Architectural Plans - ArchitecturalDrawings_1860-1868Keele_St-02.jpg

This rendering initially threw me off with what looks like a freeway median. I thought, surely this was a mistake? But nope, very real. Guess I need to spend more time on Eg West.
1723702447752.png

But seriously, this is a very odd site in the city. Does anyone have the background on what happened here that prompted quite an aggressive form of traffic management?

This rendering initially threw me off with what looks like a freeway median. I thought, surely this was a mistake? But nope, very real. Guess I need to spend more time on Eg West.
View attachment 588419
But seriously, this is a very odd site in the city. Does anyone have the background on what happened here that prompted quite an aggressive form of traffic management?

I'm 'guessing', but I think I can see a couple of fairly straight forward reasons.

So, you need to use Streetview facing the opposite way (south):

1723711867960.png

Here, you can see that Keele veers hard right (west), before straightening out again in a hurry to be straight south at Eglinton.

But note that side street that goes straight to Eglinton that's on centre with the Keele St right-of-way............that's actually Keele Street!

The shift to the west is actually called 'Yore', then the road briefly becomes Trethewey before becoming Keele again on the south side of Eglinton.

1723712147696.png

I can see several problems here.

Lesser: Drivers from the north who may not be familiar w/the road layout here and instinctually or via GPS may want to stay on Keele, and would naturally attempt to go straight south if that were allowed, crossing competing traffic from 'Yore' for which there is a poor sightline.

Greater: Cars from the southern flank of Keele (side street portion) attempting a left onto Keele/Yore with competing traffic coming from both straight and ahead and the left on a poor angle with a lousy line of sight as well.

The barrier inserted here precludes both of those movements. It forces SB traffic to the right/west along Yore, and prevents a NB to WB movements from Keele the lesser to Yore.

I suspect that would be your motivation, along with creating a visible deterrent to speeding for SB motorists, who might not be moving slowly enough otherwise to handle the sharp turn to the right. Keele here was likely a 60km/ph zone at one point, and that would see off-peak traffic running at 70km/ph routinely, then trying to swing a hard right on short notice.

I should add that Keele SB towards Yore/Eglinton is also downhill and may be prone to icing in winter.

Back