News   Aug 06, 2024
 1.2K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 571     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Where in the world are train doors as forgiving as elevator doors? This is a completely foreign concept to me.
All of Germany, Austria, (including the Desiros that operate to Bratislava and Sopron), Switzerland (though not on every vehicle), and Toronto’s streetcars. Putting your hand in the door while it is closing will reopen it automatically (they have the same object detection systems as elevators).

Last edited:
Winterization and summerization programs are a part of any round the year business.

For once, I'm willing to give ML a break. Finding one car with non-functioning AC is no big deal. One would have to know when the trouble was first reported, and what was then done. If you come back in three days with the same car still running hot, then maybe that's a sign of something. I'm not so sure that a single car without AC would take a trainset out of service - possibly it is close to its usual cycle thru the shop.

For all its deficiencies, ML is actually pretty first class when it comes to SOGR.

- Paul
There may have been a time where maintenance was first class but that certainly is not now. There are coaches which have been running on half HVAC since last summer. It's unacceptable and Metrolinx deserves every piece of criticism that they get for the poor air quality and poor heating and cooling on their trains.

There may have been a time where maintenance was first class but that certainly is not now. There are coaches which have been running on half HVAC since last summer. It's unacceptable and Metrolinx deserves every piece of criticism that they get for the poor air quality and poor heating and cooling on their trains.
photo was deleted but a go employee posted a photo of the air quality screen in the coach and it was something like 2000+ PPM

Just noticed this about the Richmond Hill line. Wonder how long it'll last and what work needs to be done to eliminate this?

1722971075003.png

Most practical solution;

Re-route the RH line along the Don Mills trail.
Wonder when if ever the bridge over the brickworks will be activated, and what happened to the plan for the layover yard in the Don valley.

Also on my ride today, I’m honestly amazed by the anti social behaviour of some people

IMG_0445.jpeg

Wonder when if ever the bridge over the brickworks will be activated, and what happened to the plan for the layover yard in the Don valley.

Also on my ride today, I’m honestly amazed by the anti social behaviour of some people

View attachment 586280

Re Don Layover

Re 'half-mile bridge' there's speculation it could be part of VIA HFR...

If the Leaside Spur trail was reactivated for full rail service (no chance the community is okay with that), get track rights from CP's Toronto sub, or get permission to build parallel trackage (extreme pipe dream) and then use CP's old bridge and right of way over the Don to get to the Bala sub in a less flood prone manner, does that solve the Richmond Hill Line's problems?

If all of these basically never-will-happen plans are carried out, would MX increase frequency on RH? Or is demand genuinely that low, with the subway going to RH soon?

If the Leaside Spur trail was reactivated for full rail service (no chance the community is okay with that), get track rights from CP's Toronto sub, or get permission to build parallel trackage (extreme pipe dream) and then use CP's old bridge and right of way over the Don to get to the Bala sub in a less flood prone manner, does that solve the Richmond Hill Line's problems?

If all of these basically never-will-happen plans are carried out, would MX increase frequency on RH? Or is demand genuinely that low, with the subway going to RH soon?

Add one more element to your "if" statement...... a grade separation over the CN York Sub at Doncaster. CN will not be happy with additional trains over the diamond crossing that line.And CP would also deman grade separation.

-Could GO add more peak service trains on closer headways? Perhaps, if ridership demanded it (It doesn't). But all-day 2WAD service seems unlikely even if the route were moved as you suggest. There is only so much funding, and RH is well down the list of projects in terms of return on that investment. The funding will never arrive.

And no, the Leaside Branch is not coming back, ever. That part truly is fantasy at this point.

- Paul

Back