Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Update - happy to report that the Bay concourse is dewatered, cleaned and reopened - with only a vague hint of a chemical scent in the air. Unfortunately the smell in the moat is gross - less urine, more sewer and lord know what else.

AoD
wonder if they can powerwash the moat over the next couple evenings.

wonder if they can powerwash the moat over the next couple evenings.

The issue here isn't the solution (i.e. cleaning - which is self-evident) - but jurisdiction. Who manages that space? It seems to be orphaned, with no one taking day-to-day responsibility and that's unacceptable.

AoD

The issue here isn't the solution (i.e. cleaning - which is self-evident) - but jurisdiction. Who manages that space? It seems to be orphaned, with no one taking day-to-day responsibility and that's unacceptable.

AoD
City manages the moats:
IMG_9007.jpeg

as much sense as showing GO buses on the train departure board.
Buses and trains actually actually used to share the same departure screens! It made about as much sense as it you’d imagine (hopefully you imagine that it doesn’t make sense):
IMG_5031.jpeg

City manages the moats:View attachment 581281

Buses and trains actually actually used to share the same departure screens! It made about as much sense as it you’d imagine (hopefully you imagine that it doesn’t make sense):View attachment 581282
I fail to see how GO bus departures shouldn't be on the same screen as GO train departures. The fact that they have been separated irritates me to no end. Do they really expect people to just look at their phones instead?

I fail to see how GO bus departures shouldn't be on the same screen as GO train departures. The fact that they have been separated irritates me to no end. Do they really expect people to just look at their phones instead?
Valid complaint. I think the happy medium for all arguments is to put busses and trains on adjacent screens. At the very least sort the table with trains first, a separator, then busses.

The separation is particularly annoying during the border periods when if you're 20 minutes early or late the mode changes. Or when there is bus replacement service due to construction and you make it all the way to York concourse before noticing your train is missing from the screens entirely. It's a fairly long hike to the bus terminal through Union if you've gone the wrong way.

I understand the desire to simplify departure screens as airports do, screens in the domestic terminal rarely show international flights for example, but Metrolinx treats their bus and train service as interchangeable.

Somewhere they need to tell you which direction to go (Bus or Train) if you just show up at the station and want to go to Kitchener. Even the paper ticket machines don''t tell you; they'll happily sell you tickets to stations without any service at all.

Last edited:
Somewhere they need to tell you which direction to go (Bus or Train) if you just show up at the station and want to go to Kitchener. Even the paper ticket machines don''t tell you; they'll happily sell you tickets to stations without any service at all.

I think I'd prefer to see the next 2 trips (or any leaving within 15 minutes) in any given corridor. Ordering this information by departure time is not useful when they will operate "just show up and board" frequencies. I really don't care that it's the 10:03 train and not the 10:10 train; nor will I go to Barrie instead of Milton because the Barrie service happens to leave first. What I do want is the information for the corridor I need to take and whether it's a bus or train and how long I have.

Light background shading or fine-line separations for each corridor would be useful as well.

I'm also not convinced we need the "Wait" and "Proceed" text. Either there is a platform listed or there isn't.

Excuse the .... as a placeholder for destinations. I didn't want to type them all out. Milton was more interesting since buses regularly go to specific single stations.

Code:
Corridor        Time  Mode    Pltfrm  Destinations
--------        ----  ----    ------  ------------
BARRIE          9:30  Bus     41      ....
               10:10  Train   -       ....
LAKESHORE EAST  9:40  Train   -       ....
LAKESHORE WEST  9:35  Train   4       ....
               10:05  Train   -       ....
MILTON          9:32  Bus     42      Milton
                9:36  Bus     43      Medowvale, Lisgar
                9:42  Bus     -       Cooksville, Erindale, ...

Incidentally, I've also frequently thought crowded airport screens should be sorted alphabetically by destination first, and time as a secondary sort; and that's despite that destinations would jump around as destinations are added/removed from the list. Union very consistent set of corridors.

Last edited:
I think I'd prefer to see the next 2 trips (or any leaving within 15 minutes) in any given corridor. Ordering this information by departure time is not useful when they will operate "just show up and board" frequencies. I really don't care that it's the 10:03 train and not the 10:10 train; nor will I go to Barrie instead of Milton because the Barrie service happens to leave first. What I do want is the information for the corridor I need to take and whether it's a bus or train and how long I have.

Light background shading or fine-line separations for each corridor would be useful as well.

I'm also not convinced we need the "Wait" and "Proceed" text. Either there is a platform listed or there isn't.

Excuse the .... as a placeholder for destinations. I didn't want to type them all out. Milton was more interesting since buses regularly go to specific single stations.

Code:
Corridor        Time  Mode    Pltfrm  Destinations
--------        ----  ----    ------  ------------
BARRIE          9:30  Bus     41      ....
LAKESHORE EAST  9:40  Train   -       ....
LAKESHORE WEST  9:35  Train   4       ....
               10:05  Train   -       ....
MILTON          9:32  Bus     42      Milton
                9:36  Bus     43      Medowvale, Lisgar
                9:42  Bus     -       Cooksville, Erindale, ...

Incidentally, I've also frequently thought crowded airport screens should be sorted alphabetically by destination first, and time as a secondary sort; and that's despite that destinations would jump around as destinations are added/removed from the list. Union very consistent set of corridors.
Grand Central Madison in NYC (the new, deep-underground wing of GCT, for the Long Island trains) has exactly this. There are two sets of departure boards. One is the conventional list of next trains, chronologically; the other is an alphabetical list of destinations with the next train listed for each. Works well. (The rest of that monstrously over-engineered station is another matter).

Back