News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why go around St.George Station instead of using the 2nd bus bay at St.George?
It's hard to tell from streetview but I don't think the second bay has a stairwell and even if it did it certainly doesn't have an elevator. If it's just accessible from a walkway I suppose they could swap the 26 to the 2nd bay and put the Spadina traffic through primary bay to cut down on the walkway traffic. Even then the primary bay is undersized as @johntauren notes and since it's just a week it's easier to make no changes to the station and let riders just figure it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's hard to tell from streetview but I don't think the second bay has a stairwell

It does have a stairwell, but it hasn't been used (and has been blocked off for .....I dunno, a long time, 20 years???)

Last edited:
Reactions: max
Possible new addition (an Orion low floor) to the heritage fleet (see it’s not just people focusing solely on the RT cars).

View attachment 531790
The TTC has selected two 8000-series Orions to be set aside for preservation.

In addition, nine SRT cars will be set aside. I don’t think all are for historical preservation. My thinking is some of them will be repurposed like Montreal’s MR-63s.

The TTC has selected two 8000-series Orions to be set aside for preservation.

In addition, nine SRT cars will be set aside. I don’t think all are for historical preservation. My thinking is some of them will be repurposed like Montreal’s MR-63s.
9 SRT cars is excessive. Just persevere two or a pair and call it a day.

I don't see why two 8000s are being saved, are they really that significant? I would rather a GM in the maroon cream colours than an Orion bus.

Is there a bus museum in Canada? I know there's a bunch of rail equipment that's been save at various properties.

The posting noted that all 9 are NOT for preservation by TTC. Some for spares, some for Montreal (maybe) some for other rail museums. The TTC seldom keeps more than one example for itself.
What on Earth does Montreal or other museums have to do with it? That makes as much sense as asking New York to save a TTC streetcar/subway (which of course they didn't do when the cars were in Buffalo, even though I suggested the idea to them).

What on Earth does Montreal or other museums have to do with it?
Why not? It's by far the biggest railway museum in Canada, and bills itself as Canadian. They have other ex-Toronto equipment, and from across the nation.

A better question is why is there Chicago subway trains at Halton. I'd send these to the States, and replace them with an SRT car, with space for something else.

While not museum related, a recent pipe-dream of mine is if the TTC took back the 2 G1 and M1 cars and restored them to working order, and then paired them with either a set of H-Series cars or a set of T1's when they retire to form our own "Train of Many Colors/Metals" like in New York. It would be cool to have for special occasions and even the subways 100th anniversary in 2054 which is only 30 years away.

4.jpg
29028755868_578e98b512_b.jpg

They have other ex-Toronto equipment, and from across the nation.
Of course, every museum in the world has every piece of Toronto equipment. Except one set of pieces.

A better question is why is there Chicago subway trains at Halton.
That too, yes.

While not museum related, a recent pipe-dream of mine is if the TTC took back the 2 G1 and M1 cars and restored them to working order, and then paired them with either a set of H-Series cars or a set of T1's when they retire to form our own "Train of Many Colors/Metals" like in New York. It would be cool to have for special occasions and even the subways 100th anniversary in 2054 which is only 30 years away.
A nice idea, but neither the Gs nor the T1s are compatible with anything else. If they don't keep any remaining H4s that are in vaguely preservable condition (even as work cars), I sure hope they never, ever do so with the T1s or worse, TRs.

I don't see why two 8000s are being saved, are they really that significant? I would rather a GM in the maroon cream colours than an Orion bus.
The Orion VII was the most numerous bus of the 2000s, it sounds pretty significant to me. That being said I find the notion of saving two 8000s to be fairly ridiculous - if they want two VIIs, an 8100 to complement an 8000 would make far more sense.

There is already a GM that is going to be painted in the maroon cream colours, 8058, but the completion of that project is contingent on funding. Maybe some of the money Toronto city council wants to use to show off what good people they are in renaming Dundas Square could be put to this infinitely more useful project.

Back