News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Ontario Science Centre

...is there any citation or source on the bottom bullet's claim of turning OSC current site into private condos? I can't seem to find anything on that.

Edit: /ugh...unintentional page bump.

I saw on IG that there was a motion by a councillor to have the City take over the Science Centre but can’t find it now and haven’t seen it elsewhere. Was it deferred until Thursday’s meeting?
It is on Agenda as a MM and they are scheduled for tomorrow

1719506463830.png

SEE ALSO

1719506534121.png

Yeah, "to put it mildly". But, Mallick's had a history of hyperactively framing Modernism/Brutalism in what one might call architectural #MeToo terms (like its defenders are akin to Polanski apologists or something).

Like, a decade ago, *this*.

And I think that's where you'll find "horseshoe theory" on the part of the so-called "left" who opts to side with, or at least burnish the case for, DoFo's OSC scheme: some notion of "people don't like Brutalism". That is, they're already indisposed to the notion that there's any architecture worth being "sensitive" to here.

Personally, I'd rather abide by a "Doors Open pluralism" default re what "people" are open to appreciating.

This is not a PR blunder - it is questionable decision-making and ulterior motives - just like the Greenbelt (unless you want to call flip-flopping on major policy "PR"). Calling it a PR issue cheapens the modus operandi of this government - it's the equivalent to someone using "ha ha, it's just a joke" as an excuse.

Also, the government appointed the board - did the board just realize that the building has long standing maintenance issues? If that is so, I question the competence of the board in their duties and by extension, whose interests are they reflecting.

AoD

This is not a PR blunder - it is questionable decision-making and ulterior motives - just like the Greenbelt (unless you want to call flip-flopping on major policy "PR"). Calling it a PR issue cheapens the modus operandi of this government - it's the equivalent to someone using "ha ha, it's just a joke" as an excuse.

Also, the government appointed the board - did the board just realize that the building has long standing maintenance issues? If that is so, I question the competence of the board in their duties and by extension, whose interests are they reflecting.

Correct. All sorts of governments neglected this place. I don’t like Doug. Didn’t vote for Doug. But everything isn’t Doug’s fault.
Exactly! People are quick to forget Mcguinty and Wynne! Two pathetic individuals. I actually was employed at the centre when those 2 clowns were in power

Exactly! People are quick to forget Mcguinty and Wynne! Two pathetic individuals. I actually was employed at the centre when those 2 clowns were in power
It's Doug's fault now. And whataboutisms can only cover his arse so far here as he is one who pulled the trigger. /shrug

I think anyone would close it if they found out. The problem is that the conservatives have been in charge for a few years now. Why hasn’t it had the maintenance it needed.
Worked there for over two decades and the higher ups didn’t care to maintain it. funny thing is that they started closing for a full week in the first week of September and asked all the staff to do maintenance work like painting and patching dry walls. Instead of hiring the right people to do the work they would find ways to cut corners to save money for their bonuses at the end o

^Good news! Maybe now is the time to start bringing in other users for this vast and under-prized property. Maybe the Aga Khan Foundation has some ideas? Or Transeuropehalles which specializes in converting old buildings for new cultural uses?

We don’t have to reinvent the wheel as the City of Toronto has created a really successful model of marrying heritage structures and new users in The Bathurst Quay/Silos Project.

CBC Toronto has a piece on the condition of roof, nothing revelatory, but an illustrative image some may appreciate.

"The green areas represent panels of the Science Centre roof that engineering reports labelled as having a low risk of collapsing. The yellow areas are at medium risk. The red areas are at high risk and the blue areas were at critical risk. Areas with no highlighted colours weren't inspected." (caption for the photo below, from CBC)

1719563962457.png

Credit CBC/Steven Silcox from the link below:

And the brutalism of the entire design had a honesty about it. It wasn't trying to be anything it wasn't. It wasn't trying to impress you. It was just had a quiet confidence about itself.
And you know what my present hunch is? That the whole spin about how "nobody likes Brutalism" (needless to say, implicitly or explicitly advanced by bad actors on the right as well as the Heather Mallicks on the left) is a smokescreen. Because as I said, the real mass instinct might be more along the lines of a "Doors Open pluralism". People *aren't*, in and of themselves, hung up over its being "ugly", any more than they are over modern art being more "displeasing" than traditional portraits and landscapes.

Rather, it's about a fashionable "sticking it to the elites". It's about framing Brutalism (or *all* modern architecture) as the style of "elites", one being imposed upon "real people". In its present form, that spin's been in the air at least since Tom Wolfe's "From Bauhaus To Our House", and it became monetizable mass architectural outrage with world's-worst-buildings and carbuncle contests in the 90s and 00s. And it characterizes the post-traditional-gatekeeper mediums of stoked-outrage social media. It's the notion that those *actively championing* such architecture (or the preservation thereof) are, almost invariably, some kind of educated-elite cultural class, haughty and removed from "the people". It's not just the architecture that's evil; it's its defenders, the holier-than-thou tastemaker 1%, trying to pull a fast one on us in trying to make some kind of aesthetic "fetch" happen.

I was recently witness to a bot post on Facebook showing, without comment or context, a before-and-after of Montreal's Pointe-à-Callière--the old Custom House with its tower, and the present Dan Hanganu-designed museum--that seemed designed solely for outrage-farming, presenting it in implicit terms of "old = good, new = bad". And of course, the vast bulk of comments and responses treated it thusly, and the very few comments which tried to explain what was *really* going on there went over like a lead balloon. People weren't there to learn; they were there to vent and rage and feed Meta-style data-mining monetization of "meaningful interactions".

And paradoxically compounding it all is that very notion of the preservation of Brutalism--an old, "aging" architecture, and not Timeless Beauty like all that stuff w/columns and arches. That is, the elites in question championing Brutalism are championing its preservation, not building it in the present day--and that's where we get to the broader idea of "hysterical preservationists" being themselves "elites"; they don't wanna do nuthin', they just wanna cling to what they have, a little like that legacy media which "nobody" reads. And the fact that they're *not* championing building it in the present day is a signal of their cynical arrogance--as in, "if they like Brutalism so much, then why" etc etc. As if the appreciation of *any* preexisting style was premised upon the will to build it today--which really seems a mentality stoked within our fan-art era...

The Former CEO and Chief Scientist of the OSC is out with an opinion piece in The Star suggesting that its probably time to let the OSC in its current location go.

But he doesn't advocate for demolishing the Main building up top, suggesting perhaps a repurposing.

The main thrust of his piece aside from the poor condition of the existing building is that the business model of the OSC is broken no matter where you put it, and that that needs addressing.

The OSC needs far more robust ancillary revenues (parking, concession/food, complimentary retail/merch) as well as more robust grants, and a lower cost to operate and maintain building.

Last edited:
The Former CEO and Chief Scientist of the OSC is out with an opinion piece in The Star suggesting that its probably time to let the OSC in its current location go.

But he doesn't advocate for demolishing the Main building up top, suggesting perhaps a repurposing.

The main thrust of his piece aside from the poor condition of the existing building is that the business model of the OSC is broken no matter where you put it, and that that needs addressing.

The OSC needs far more robust ancillary revenues (parking, concession/food, complimentary retail/merch) as well as more robust grants, and a lower cost to operate and maintain building.

Doug shipped some buck a beer. I hated this location so I’m indifferent.

Back