News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Hosting a summer Olympic games

I meant that the focus should be to ensure the athletes have the best playing field they can have. Having spectators is obvious, but if we cannot have 10,000, but instead can only have 5000, it should not mean we build another facility.
The facilities need to be at, or able to modified to the Olympic standards, whatever they may be. Somebody's gotta pay for that. If the box office is purposely smaller, obviously there is a reduced revenue stream. Don't forget that the IOC is a non-profit that is largely funded by the games (no, I don't know the formula). They subsidize athletes, teams, etc. to attend the games as well as subsidize host countries. Perhaps with a smaller footprint using more existing facilities the costs would be reduced, but there would still be significant costs that somebody has to pay. Without a decent box office, advertising rights, etc. more pressure would be placed on other areas, probably media rights because that is a huge one. If they make that so expensive, at some point networks may simply refuse to play.

If host communities don't see an economic shot in arm from attendance (hotels, restaurants, etc.), why host?

The facilities need to be at, or able to modified to the Olympic standards, whatever they may be. Somebody's gotta pay for that. If the box office is purposely smaller, obviously there is a reduced revenue stream. Don't forget that the IOC is a non-profit that is largely funded by the games (no, I don't know the formula). They subsidize athletes, teams, etc. to attend the games as well as subsidize host countries. Perhaps with a smaller footprint using more existing facilities the costs would be reduced, but there would still be significant costs that somebody has to pay. Without a decent box office, advertising rights, etc. more pressure would be placed on other areas, probably media rights because that is a huge one. If they make that so expensive, at some point networks may simply refuse to play.

If host communities don't see an economic shot in arm from attendance (hotels, restaurants, etc.), why host?
Lets start with the idea that the IOC is finding less and less competition for host cities.

For Toronto, investments in transportation infrastructure and housing would go a long way to make it worth hosting. That may not be enough to actually bit or host.

Lets start with the idea that the IOC is finding less and less competition for host cities.

For Toronto, investments in transportation infrastructure and housing would go a long way to make it worth hosting. That may not be enough to actually bit or host.
We could go round-and-round all day without moving anybody's goalposts, so I'll choose to not. I will state my bias that, as far as I'm concerned, the Olympic movement is a self licking ice cream cone and cities, provinces and countries that bid to play have egos bigger than their wallets.

We could go round-and-round all day without moving anybody's goalposts, so I'll choose to not. I will state my bias that, as far as I'm concerned, the Olympic movement is a self licking ice cream cone and cities, provinces and countries that bid to play have egos bigger than their wallets.
You are not wrong.

Having said that, what about the athletes where this is the pinnacle of their life.? How do we go from the games being a burden to being worth keeping around?

IOC is mostly funded by broadcast rights and sponsorships. I think this is likely dwindling in the era of streaming and more diffuse viewing habits.

IOC is mostly funded by broadcast rights and sponsorships. I think this is likely dwindling in the era of streaming and more diffuse viewing habits.
On the contrary, broadcasters love live events like the Olympics and the World Cup because it is "live" - Appointment television!
Rights deals have are in place until 2032 in both the US (NBC) and Europe (EBU and Warner Bros Discovery)...

On the contrary, broadcasters love live events like the Olympics and the World Cup because it is "live" - Appointment television!
Rights deals have are in place until 2032 in both the US (NBC) and Europe (EBU and Warner Bros Discovery)...
But I think the days of high advertising revenues to bid up those rights have passed. I haven't been following the payments the IOC has been getting from broadcast rights, but I would expect them to have declined. It's possible other sponsorship revenue is up to compensate.

Also, streamers will be coming for those rights too, as they already are with the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc.
But I imagine the revenue will still be there for the IOC. If nothing else, more bidders may increase the value. Too many people hear 'streamer' and think 'free'. Unless they plan on distributing hand held cel-phone images, somebody will have to pay for the equipment, crews and tech.

And as elsewhere, where access to the Islands is being thought about by bridge or tunnel, perhaps its time. I have been a defender of the Island Airport for its services and convenience.......but if you could connect the airport lands via some form of rapid transit (offshoot of the TTC Harbour Front Line and Bathurst Connections?) and build the amount of needed athlete housing for Toronto centered Olympic activities (and required services) that could then be turned into Co-op Geared to Income Housing, I would buy into that. The excess land could become additional parkland of varying types. International Design competition that stresses livability and de emphasizes towers, Private Cars banned or limited, and the island trolley network (talked about elsewhere) to connect the Eastern and Western Gaps. That would work for me.

And as elsewhere, where access to the Islands is being thought about by bridge or tunnel, perhaps its time. I have been a defender of the Island Airport for its services and convenience.......but if you could connect the airport lands via some form of rapid transit (offshoot of the TTC Harbour Front Line and Bathurst Connections?) and build the amount of needed athlete housing for Toronto centered Olympic activities (and required services) that could then be turned into Co-op Geared to Income Housing, I would buy into that. The excess land could become additional parkland of varying types. International Design competition that stresses livability and de emphasizes towers, Private Cars banned or limited, and the island trolley network (talked about elsewhere) to connect the Eastern and Western Gaps. That would work for me.

I have wondered why the city does not extend the Streetcar line from Bathurst and Front to the island and run the whole length of the island with a streetcar line.

I have wondered why the city does not extend the Streetcar line from Bathurst and Front to the island and run the whole length of the island with a streetcar line.
Year 'round ridership might be a challenge. The fact that the Islands are essentially a sandbar and were a peninsula until the mid 1850s when Mother Nature had other ideas might create some technical challenges as well.

Back