News   Jun 27, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 685     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 441     0 

VIA Rail

I see VIA is adjusting the schedule of the ‘Ocean’ due to declining state of repair of the tracks - CN owned. That’s the second CN line where maintenance, or lack of it, is now impacting any sort of passenger rail revive.
No amount of track maintenance will change that the alignment of the rights-of-ways the Ocean uses east of Quebec City are not compatible with travel times which would allow it to be competitive against other modes…

No amount of track maintenance will change that the alignment of the rights-of-ways the Ocean uses east of Quebec City are not compatible with travel times which would allow it to be competitive against other modes…

As it happens we just stepped off the Ocean. The time data says it all - there were no operating or station delays on this run, the slow pace is solely attributable to speed restrictions. I would add, while the ride was smooth there was only evidence of track maintenance in one location. (And precious little evidence of freight traffic between Campbellton and Miramichi either… ) no one is going to suggest trying to compete with the TCH at this velocity.
One thing I did note is that after a late departure from Montreal, the train made up a lot of time going in to Ste Foy…. That part of the schedule is likely well padded.
Another note was the very slow grind from Bedford into Halifax station…. I wondered whether switches had to be thrown manually. I wonder whether CN has quietly rearranged the trackage to favour their own movements over time. Seems reasonable to me that CN could be required to provide a “clear alley” to get 14 to the platform.

- Paul

IMG_8627.png

That white maple leaf looks MUCH BETTER than the previous red. Before the red took away from the overall design now the white maple leaf blends in very well. I hope this a permant change for future trainsets. The white maple leaf that is. Whilst I like the Yellow it becomes a bit too much and I realy like the 2020 grey scheme.

I'm not sure that many people beyond hard core enthusiasts will notice or care about the special heritage paint scheme. There can't be more than a handful of VIA employees that actually worked on the Turbo's, and generally the public perception of that train may be best left not remembered.
Creating some special schemes may be good, however, to break up the monotony of the new fleet. I'm thinking of some of the one-of's in other fleets.... the UK has a rainbow hued Pride Pendolino, for instance - but the themes need to be relevant to onlookers and riders. VIA should not be aspiring to heritage railwayxp-centric themes that few members of the public can relate to.

- Paul

I'm not sure that many people beyond hard core enthusiasts will notice or care about the special heritage paint scheme. There can't be more than a handful of VIA employees that actually worked on the Turbo's, and generally the public perception of that train may be best left not remembered.
Creating some special schemes may be good, however, to break up the monotony of the new fleet. I'm thinking of some of the one-of's in other fleets.... the UK has a rainbow hued Pride Pendolino, for instance - but the themes need to be relevant to onlookers and riders. VIA should not be aspiring to heritage railwayxp-centric themes that few members of the public can relate to.

- Paul
oh yes they do. People’s love unique livery’s. Aviation, trains, fans love to capture the unique one passing by.

oh yes they do. People’s love unique livery’s. Aviation, trains, fans love to capture the unique one passing by.

You said it.... "fans" love them.

The special plane liveries undoubtedly liven up the airport experience....but....how much did the Frozen aircraft paint scheme increase Westjet's bottom line?

Not a hill to die on imho, unless somebody wants to pay for the wrap as advertising space.

- Paul

Looks good. Definitely not Northlander.

It has me thinking. Could there be 2 different liveries and they be assigned to the 2 different maintenance centres? So far, all of the units have been going to the MMC and most, if not all of the old fleet has been removed from there.
wouldve liked to see 1 more big VIA logo at the Cab car end for symmetry.

Back