Hamilton McMaster Graduate Student Residence | 97.9m | 30s | Knightstone | Diamond Schmitt

Everything about this building feels incomplete. Cheap. Rushed.

It really doesn’t interact well with the pedestrian realm.

All in all, this ended up being a disappointment.

IMG_5823.jpeg

🤮🤮🤮🤮
IMG_5824.jpeg

Compare Mac’s garbage to the pedestrian realm provided and enhanced by TMU’s Yonge Street Student Ctr:
IMG_5826.jpeg

(source Google maps)

Everything about this building feels incomplete. Cheap. Rushed.

It really doesn’t interact well with the pedestrian realm.

All in all, this ended up being a disappointment.

View attachment 553617

🤮🤮🤮🤮
View attachment 553618

Compare Mac’s garbage to the pedestrian realm provided and enhanced by TMU’s Yonge Street Student Ctr:
View attachment 553619
(source Google maps)
I mean the SLC has a lane which can hide the servicing..

1712264250834.png

Mac doesn't, so the servicing has to go somewhere. Also - it likely feels incomplete because, well, it is still incomplete. A lot of the small details still need to happen.

Ya it's probably a couple of months away form completion at least. Major construction is done, but there are still spandrel panels missing. A couple of lights aren't working, there's exposed building wrap, and asphalt where concrete will be poured. I'd suggest judging this in July or August once trees, plants and such have been planted as well.

The transformers being where they are sucks. Just straight up. They're bad. Could have put them inside the loading bay, shrunk parking a tad, put them underground. Anything except what we've got.

View attachment 553625

Mac doesn't, so the servicing has to go somewhere. Also - it likely feels incomplete because, well, it is still incomplete. A lot of the small details still need to happen.

The Mac building is awful. This is my opinion as someone who walks by it several times per week. As a pedestrian, I don’t enjoy walking past it.

It could / should have been so much better, but this garage entrance is just over the top. For what? So garbage trucks don’t block Bay Street traffic for 3 minutes a week?

Side Note: Samir Market (around the corner from here on George St) is fully open and operational. Was actually pretty busy this afternoon.

Samir is a real market, too, not a prepped-foods take-out shop like what seems to be going into the new Urban Core bldg on James South.

View attachment 553625

Look at the TMU Student Centre’s stairs, there is always people hanging out on them.

Look at the corner or that Mac bldg. it’s purposely designed to keep people moving (and not ‘loiter’).

A major intersection like Hamilton’s King & Bay should be encouraging people to hang out, chat, share ideas and complaints. ESPECIALLY in a university ‘satellite’ campus!

I mean TMU is also a student building, not a residence. The use is completely different.. their only residence only building street frontage isn’t exactly excellent either..

Finishing up the sidewalks here. Seems like there's some tree planters (though they're quite small). And plenty of short term bicycle parking (I can't recall if there is any internal longer term bicycle parking but I assume there is).
1000005728.jpg

I do find it interesting none of these new builds seem to be.. aware that some people might want protection from the elements like rain snow etc - no awnings - all just start windows all the way up. Wouldn't be hard for them to put some over the top window part. I hate buildings that feel naked that way.

Back