Toronto 72 Amroth Avenue | ?m | 6s | CreateTO | superkül

She's not a "so-called" expert, and is a huge supporter of affordable housing. She's certainly not opposed to upzoning in general. She's outlining the issues w/how the city is going about this....... and she's not wrong, this time.

A lot of so-called zoning reform advocates, don't seem to understand how the real world works.

See garden/laneway suites..........and the whopping six that have been or are being created thus far...... none affordable.

Turns out the effect of change is not always what you think or hope it will be...........
The City of Toronto almost never needs to BUY land. The City and it's agencies are absolutely swimming in wasted "Lazy Land", like these Green-P sites.

However much I support Melissa on her "Buy Old Low-Rent Apartment Buildings" (eg. MURA) point-of-view - for sites like the one below --

https://beachmetro.com/2024/02/13/g...helps-secure-20-permanently-affordable-homes/

...we disagree fairly-strongly on her concerns about upzoning and in-fill density permissions around EHON.

The City of Toronto almost never needs to BUY land. The City and it's agencies are absolutely swimming in wasted "Lazy Land", like these Green-P sites.

However much I support Melissa on her "Buy Old Low-Rent Apartment Buildings" (eg. MURA) point-of-view - for sites like the one below --

https://beachmetro.com/2024/02/13/g...helps-secure-20-permanently-affordable-homes/

...we disagree fairly-strongly on her concerns about upzoning and in-fill density permissions around EHON.

There's no question the City has its own land it can use; however, buying adjacent lands can result in more optimal massing and greater height; its definitely cheaper to buy at the lower zoning permission then upzone.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting rolling back what's been done to date, nor am I suggesting some material delay in further relaxation under EHON, I'm just saying 'get out there and buy where it allows you get maximum value, NOW, and upzone immediately thereafter.

The upzoning in yellowbelt parts of downtown is literally going to double the cost parkland acquisition, that's money that will come out of affordable housing, because we didn't buy the parkland prior to upzoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHK
The pop-up was fairly busy for a daytime meeting in a Church basement on a Thursday during March Break. Almost all of the chatter was from adjacent homeowners about “loss of parking” and “overlook” from the new apartments.

IMG_4735.jpeg

The pop-up was fairly busy for a daytime meeting in a Church basement on a Thursday during March Break. Almost all of the chatter was from adjacent homeowners about “loss of parking” and “overlook” from the new apartments.

This is what I said.

The parking loss I personally couldn't care one whit about.......though its an argument that is entirely foreseeable, but I would expect it mostly from area businesses more than residents, as such one must have the evidence at hand if no replacement parking is proposed.

The overlook question is obvious, because of the six storeys instead of 4, and the sharp height transition to the 2s next door.

As you as you buy the 2s, and integrate it into the proposal at 3, and with the balance of the height set back the issue is substantially mitigated.

Or you just go w/ 4s.

Either works.

It could be that I might know something about what provokes people and how to assuage that.............which is important if you want to replicate a model everywhere.

You can park overnight at that Green-P for FREE if you have a local “Resident Parking Permit” for the nearby streets.

Nearby streets south of Danforth are lined with parked cars and few driveways/garages.

Therefore, street parking passes will be approx. $24/month for most vehicles.

You can park overnight at that Green-P for FREE if you have a local “Resident Parking Permit” for the nearby streets.

That's one of those odd things I didn't know.................I need to fix that.......

Therefore, street parking passes will be approx. $24/month for most vehicles.

That is way too low, and I am working on that............

Can homeowners take the city to court if the city bought the land prior to upzoning and zoned it upwards right after?

Also, once homeowners get wind of this strategy, what prevents them from demanding a high price from the city every time it comes knocking and thus drying up the sales pipeline?

Can homeowners take the city to court if the city bought the land prior to upzoning and zoned it upwards right after?

Also, once homeowners get wind of this strategy, what prevents them from demanding a high price from the city every time it comes knocking and thus drying up the sales pipeline?
First question, NO.

Second question, City can Expropriate at "fair market value" - just like Metrolinx does --- BUT the City does that much less frequently than the Province.

METROLINX example - https://www.thespec.com/news/counci...cle_c01b88b3-c537-5597-ae1d-4de200181596.html

Would love to see taller nodes at the main intersections along the Danforth, especially the ones with subway stations. Along with the mid-block built-form norm gradually raised to at least 4 to 6 storeys or more for smaller scaled intensifications.

Would love to see taller nodes at the main intersections along the Danforth, especially the ones with subway stations. Along with the mid-block built-form norm gradually raised to at least 4 to 6 storeys or more for smaller scaled intensifications.

Very much happening. Main and Danforth is already dense and getting denser.

The Sobeys site is in play, the Choice site at Woodbine/Danforth is in play. '

2 midrises from there to Woodbine have already gone up.

The s/e corner of Woodbine/Danforth will happen.

and lots more.

Back