News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 338     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 903     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

From the article:

The motion underscores that Scarborough residents have the longest TTC commutes, the least amount of biking infrastructure and the highest rates of pedestrian deaths in the city. By creating a linear park, residents would have better access to jobs, culture and entertainment, shopping, green space, and housing options built along the corridor, the councillors argue.

I'm honestly not enthusiastic about this idea.

Maintaining the guideway is a very expensive choice; and one that has safety issues (how many stairs/ramps up and down to it are we going to build? One every km? One every 500M? Are we going to build elevators? Trees can't grow to any size sitting on concrete, as they'll need to be stripped away for repairs to same very couple of decades.......

There are so many issues........for what I perceive to be very little gain.

What level of cycling demand exists going E-W from McCowan to Midland, in this corridor? Not much I think; and how much would be generated if cyclists had to hoof their bikes up stairs?

I'm all for an at-grade trail in the corridor, with traffic lit crossings at major streets if feasible.

But pretending this would be anything like the High Line in NYC borders on the insane. Not the same thing at all. This will not be a tourist attraction.

Maintaining the guideway is a very expensive choice; and one that has safety issues (how many stairs/ramps up and down to it are we going to build? One every km? One every 500M

I'm all for an at-grade trail in the corridor, with traffic lit crossings at major streets if feasible.

But pretending this would be anything like the High Line in NYC borders on the insane. Not the same thing at all. This will not be a tourist attraction.

Hmmm….good points. Issues that I had not considered. Agreed that an at-grade trail along the complete corridor would be nice to have.

I’m hoping that this proposal does not take away focus on the Danforth Kingston initiative though.

Maintaining the guideway is a very expensive choice; and one that has safety issues (how many stairs/ramps up and down to it are we going to build? One every km? One every 500M? Are we going to build elevators? Trees can't grow to any size sitting on concrete, as they'll need to be stripped away for repairs to same very couple of decades.......

There are so many issues........for what I perceive to be very little gain.

What level of cycling demand exists going E-W from McCowan to Midland, in this corridor? Not much I think; and how much would be generated if cyclists had to hoof their bikes up stairs?

Also, it runs through a very ugly area. The idea to retain and maintain the guideway for recreational uses that provide no access to beautiful views is pointless.

Hey, maybe this is not such an original idea and has been posted elsewhere, but if this corridor can be made into a trail (agreed at-grade @Northern Light, @Towered ) then it connects cyclists to the potential West Scarborough Railpath.

Understood the West Scarborough Railpath concept has been discussed for over a decade and is not a slam dunk, but would it make more sense combined with the Scarborough RT trail?

Cyclists from Scarborough Town developments would be able to ride to Harbourfront via the RT trail to the Meadoway or to the Danforth cycle track via West Scarborough Railpath / Gus Harris Trail.

The proposed development at 100 Borough alone has parking planned for over 1,700 bicycles.

Hey, maybe this is not such an original idea and has been posted elsewhere, but if this corridor can be made into a trail (agreed at-grade @Northern Light, @Towered ) then it connects cyclists to the potential West Scarborough Railpath.

Understood the West Scarborough Railpath concept has been discussed for over a decade and is not a slam dunk, but would it make more sense combined with the Scarborough RT trail?

So.....probably not?

Suppose we can do the at-grade part along the E-W axis, which does involve a need for a bridge crossing Highland Creek as imagine the current guideway there would make sense for that purpose if we are otherwise at grade........

Here's where things get dicey.

First, you have to get over/under the Stouffville GO line here to run a trail N-S (on the current RT alignment.

I suppose you could use the current RT Tunnel, but I suspect the City would not go for that, its about 120M long, in a dark industrial area, low levels of light penetration........... But a shorter, narrower pedestrian/cyclist tunnel, or bridge is not a cheap endeavour.

Still, that bit is do-able. The real problem is that as soon as you hit Ellesmere there's no space leftover beside the current RT Corridor, which will be converted to a busway.

So here, the only way to continue the trail would be if the busway were nixed. Now, if the decision were made to nix it, your trail is mostly built for you. But certainly that option won't be on the table until the SSE opens, maybe, fingers crossed, in 2031.

Pinch point:

1710884899964.png

The pinch is pretty much continuous down to Lawrence Station.

South of Lawrence there is ample space for a trail to be added south to Eglinton.

So.....probably not?

Suppose we can do the at-grade part along the E-W axis, which does involve a need for a bridge crossing Highland Creek as imagine the current guideway there would make sense for that purpose if we are otherwise at grade........

Still, that bit is do-able.

So here, the only way to continue the trail would be if the busway were nixed. Now, if the decision were made to nix it, your trail is mostly built for you. But certainly that option won't be on the table until the SSE opens, maybe, fingers crossed, in 2031.

Thanks for that great analysis (as usual @Northern Light ).

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but if we are planning for the future with:
  • the SSE open and the busway nixed (understood no guarantee but possible)
  • using the guideway to bridge over Highland Creek
  • building a nice (yes, expensive) bridge over the Stouffville line
  • a completed West Scarborough Railpath trail
Scarborough, currently known for "the least amount of biking infrastructure and the highest rates of pedestrian deaths in the city" would have an amazing cycling super highway system connecting thousands of cyclists to the rest of Toronto. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that great analysis (as usual @Northern Light ).

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but if we are planning for the future with:
  • the SSE open and the busway nixed (understood no guarantee but possible)
  • using the guideway to bridge over Highland Creek
  • building a nice (yes, expensive) bridge over the Stouffville line
  • a completed West Scarborough Railpath trail
Scarborough, currently known for "the least amount of biking infrastructure and the highest rates of pedestrian deaths in the city" would have an amazing cycling super highway system connecting thousands of cyclists to the rest of Toronto. :)

The above describes what would be required to achieve that vision. I have to say, I don't see it as particularly likely in the near term; but nothing wrong w/thinking big thoughts, they would never get done if someone didn't!

I think the main thing would be to ensure the City doesn't surrender/sell-off any easements/ownership until these ideas have had a closer look.

In the nearer term, for Scarborough, the trails that will be pursued will be those identified in the TRCA's Trail Strategy.

You can see the Meadoway, the Waterfront Trail, the Finch Hydro Corridor and the Warden Hydro corridor are prioritized along with the golf course gap (Dentonia) and the Scarborough Rail Path from St. Clair to Eglinton.

1710889455658.png

Spring Cycle Track Installation report to the next meeting of Infrastructure and Environment Ctte:

From the above:

View attachment 549711
View attachment 549712
All good stuff, but disappointing EglintonTOday did not make it on to the agenda. It has been bumped to early May.

I give staff credit for moving forward with converting Jones to a cycle track despite parking loss and negative resident feedback. The upcoming roadwork is the perfect opportunity to improve safety.

All good stuff, but disappointing EglintonTOday did not make it on to the agenda. It has been bumped to early May.

That's not the only thing that was bumped.........I'm making inquiries.

Back