Toronto Love Park | 3m | 1s | City of Toronto | CCxA

No this isn't about the garbage bins themselves, ugly as sin though they are..........it's that they're on the @#$ @ lawn! It's a brand new park, if they had asked Cormier to get them a pad for the bins there, he would have, within the budget too, it's nothing burger.
If I was Cormier, I would made those bins into bronze sculptures with a squirrel attempting to climb into one. And to the side, additional bronze sculptures of hydro workers digging up newly laid pave stones to get at the urban flotsam that runs underneath...

...it would give it all a, er..distinct Toronto feel. >.<

Last edited:
I got down here to visit today and what a lovely and successful park it is! Simple concept, well executed, great materials, so much seating, just a winner all around. And lots of people out enjoying it on this beautiful evening. Singles, couples, families, locals with their dogs, even someone sitting in a chair next to the pond reading a book. A few people wading in the pond too, despite the river rock. Can we get CCxA to redesign every park in the city?

One of the chairs still had its tag on it, so I looked it up and now I'm kind of tempted to get some for my outdoor space. Maybe a table too?

From an early WT DRP presentation:

1687815871096.png

AoD

That depends on the size of drone. Anything above 250 grams would have issues flying south of Bloor in most of the city due to proximity to Billy Bishop and heliports. Below 250 grams, and it's a micro-drone that you're allowed to essentially fly anywhere as long as it isn't in a reckless manner. Most municipalities ban drone operations in city parks, but the rules on airspace are interesting. You're not allowed to take off from within a city park, but you can fly over one.

You can find more information on how to safely operate a drone in Toronto by checking out the Nav Canada drone site selection tool. Switching it over to micro-drone under the game controller on the map shows the city as yellow, meaning it's permitted with caution.
Thanks. I've been very curious about this.

If I was Cormier, I would made those bins into bronze sculptures with a squirrel attempting to climb into one. And to the side, additional bronze sculptures of hydro workers digging up newly laid pave stones to get at the urban flotsam that runs underneath...

...it would give it all a, er..distinct Toronto feel. >.<
Sounds expensive

I wish they can add some additional treatment to the rim for the Catalpa island - something in trencadis as a nod to Park Guell perhaps?

AoD

Gotta give AoD some love for introducing a word more than a few here will have to look up...........

How do I know? I had to look it up, LOL. I was familiar w/the form, but couldn't have put that name to it.

For those needing a primer:

No tint in water just reflection of sky and white pond bottom acting like a big mirror. City would never allow tinting of water would be a huge problem with filtration system not to mention birds

Pond dye is safe for birds and filtration systems.

In order to achieve a mirror effect the pond base must be dark as to absorb light from the sun. A white base will reflect light making the mirror effect less noticeable, hence why most reflecting pools are very dark in appearance.

Last edited:
Gotta give AoD some love for introducing a word more than a few here will have to look up...........

How do I know? I had to look it up, LOL. I was familiar w/the form, but couldn't have put that name to it.

For those needing a primer:

Tarot Garden by Niki de Sant Phalle is another model. We need something "wacky" and surreal as a foil against the uptightness of this town.

AoD

I thought @TigerTail 's answer was the correct one, that there was no dye in the pond, but as I enjoy being right, I thought to double check w/staff.

The answer given is indeed correct there is no dye being used in the pond, that colour was 100% reflection.

Something isn’t adding up. I went on opening day and the water was noticeably lighter and clearer. Just compare the earlier posted aerials to this one shot yesterday

I don’t want to keep arguing, but the science behind what makes ponds reflective does not add up given the extremely shallow water level and light coloured pond base.

Taken this week

View attachment 488510

And taken on opening day by Dustin

View attachment 488514

I think it depends on the angle and ambient lighting conditions - and you are looking a great deal of reflection of the surrounding at eye-level.

AoD

Something isn’t adding up. I went on opening day and the water was noticeably lighter and clearer. Just compare the earlier posted aerials to this one shot yesterday

I don’t want to keep arguing, but the science behind what makes ponds reflective does not add up given the extremely shallow water level and light coloured pond base.

Taken this week

View attachment 488510

And taken on opening day by Dustin

View attachment 488514
That light blue is definitely photo editing

Back